Sexing German Blue Rams

Author Topic: Sexing German Blue Rams  (Read 14566 times) 9 replies

Offline synet

• Tropical Fish Forum User
Sexing German Blue Rams
« on: February 17, 2016, 11:01:28 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi All, I bought a pair of german blue rams at the weekend, sold to me as a male and female, but I'm having my doubts. Initially, they settled into my tank OK(Fluval Roma 125). However, over the last couple of nights I have noticed them being agressive towards each other. It's not all the time, they can be swimming together nicely one minute, and then they would turn to face each other and attack. Don't think there has been any damage done. Anyway, after researching a bit, I think I might have 2 females? The biggest pointer for me is the pink bellies? I just want a bit of confirmation before I speak to my LFS, and possibly swap one of my females for a male. Here's a pic of each fish. What do people think?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Guppy (male) (1) - Neon Tetra (4) - Neon Tetra (7) - Guppy (male) (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Galaxy Rasbora (3) - Glowlight Danio (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Call me Simon
Re: Sexing German Blue Rams
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 09:01:01 AM »
I'm no expert but I think you're correct.

The below photo shows a pair, with the male on the left.

Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 10:49:26 AM »
Pink bellies are a sure sign of females, so yes, you do have 2 females. The other thing to look at is the black spot. Females usually have blue scales inside the black spot while males don't.

I would see if you can take one of the females back. And the best thing for the fish would be to bring back two males, making sure the shop will take back one of them later. Rams like to choose their own mates so just getting one male may not work out as they may not like each other.
Perhaps take both females back and study the tank to see if two rams have paired up - they will allow each other in the their personal space while chasing all the other rams away.

Offline synet

• Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 12:07:34 AM »
Thanksguys. I'm new at this, and just wanted a bit of confirmation. Will see what the LFS say.

Guppy (male) (1) - Neon Tetra (4) - Neon Tetra (7) - Guppy (male) (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Galaxy Rasbora (3) - Glowlight Danio (6) -

Offline Robert

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 08:22:10 PM »
Gorgeous fish :)

Clown Barb (5) - Banded Rainbowfish (2) - Bolivian Ram (4) - Angelfish (1) - Checkered Barb (18) - African Red Eye (4) - Cherry Barb (6) - Neon Tetra (8) - Golden Panchax (1) -

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 11:53:29 AM »
Most envious, I'd love to have some rams in my tank but my nitrates are too high and my water is very hard. I wonder if there's a fishy alternative, anyone got an ideas?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 12:33:22 PM »
The usual recommendation for brightly coloured hard water fish is Rift Lake cichlids, but they also like low nitrate.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 12:50:47 PM »
Even with all the plants I cant get below 40ppm, its quite frustrating.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2016, 12:59:10 PM »
These rams are highly inbred rather than being naturally coloured. Most of them seem to die pretty quickly anyway, whatever conditions people give them. Even if I had suitable water I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole.

It's part of what I call the "coral reef" syndrome, people looking for fish with the colours that they see on TV, but very few freshwater fish are like that. Lake Malawi looks a bit like a reef underwater, which is maybe why the fish are so colourful. But they have to have their own tank (without plants) and most of them don't get on with each other, typical cichlids in that respect.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2016, 01:26:14 PM »
My fish are all beautiful in their own way but rams are so striking iykwim

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Sexing German Blue Rams"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post October 25, 2013, 08:46:21 AM
by Sue
15 Replies
Last post December 18, 2014, 09:35:34 AM
by AndreaC
5 Replies
Last post January 29, 2017, 09:04:12 PM
by Andy The Minion
4 Replies
Last post January 29, 2017, 08:36:13 PM
by Matt
4 Replies
Last post February 26, 2017, 06:15:11 PM
by Littlefish
10 Replies
Last post December 08, 2017, 10:06:24 AM
by togtaff
2 Replies
Last post November 06, 2018, 07:07:34 PM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: