I Have No Idea???

Author Topic: i have no idea???  (Read 6179 times) 4 replies

Offline Joe Browse

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
i have no idea???
« on: September 07, 2014, 01:56:10 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I bought these fish 3 years ago when they were tiny and had no idea what they would grow too i just liked them when they were small. does anyone know what they are? and do you think their size could have contributed to the loss of some other fish?

Offline Joe Browse

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Re: i have no idea???
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 02:03:41 AM »
i also have this algae eater too which is by far bigger than the other two and think the three of them could be terrorizing every fish i put in. is this a possibility or am i being stupid

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • were going to need a bigger tank
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 07:39:39 AM »
The bottom one looks like it is a pleco for sure and some of them can get pretty big althow most are fairly peaceful , there is a website that i think sue posted on here which deals with all plec's but i cant seem to find the link at the moment - iam sure someone will be along in a bit who knows which one it is.
Not sure what the other two are.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 11:50:10 AM »
http://www.planetcatfish.com

I think the first ones are some type of Synodontis. Have a browse here and see if you can recognise them. Though they do look a bit like featherfins. You can see the fish properly to compare to photos on those sites. If they are featherfins, the last link gives their size as "12 inches, though 6 to 8 inches is more common in aquaria" needing a 4 ft/120cm long tank; and "should not be kept with any fish so small as to be considered food" So yes, they could be responsible for your fish losses, especially if they were small fish.

The bottom pic is definitely a plec, and I have a bad feeling it is a common plec ie a tankbuster. It looks very like the middle pic here. You could ID it better if you go to planet catfish and search through all the L numbers in the cat-e-log. But you'd need to set aside a whole day as there are so many of them  :-\ If it is a common plec, it needs a huge tank. The very conservative fish profiles on here say a minimum of 150cm long.

Offline Joe Browse

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 02:33:14 PM »
thank you the top ones are definitely feather fins! i think i may need to give them away if anyone would like else i will take them to my local FS (the ones who told me they wouldnt make a difference.

im glad ive joined here as you guys are a fountain of knowledge and i have learnt more over the past week or so than i have in the 3 years i have had this tank

i may also have to get rid of my common pleco too. to be honest they poo like its going out of fasion and move everything in the tank when they move so that to me says that theyneed a bigger tank as you have said

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "i have no idea???"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
38 Replies
Last post January 21, 2014, 03:23:17 PM
by Sue
17 Replies
Last post January 19, 2018, 03:25:57 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: