Goby?

Author Topic: Goby?  (Read 6833 times) 4 replies

Offline AnyaW

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Goby?
« on: January 24, 2015, 06:22:24 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Was advised by Lfs this is a goby but can't seem to find any pictures that match does anyone know what type?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Angelfish (4) - Keyhole Cichlid (1) - Denison's Barb (5) - Clown Loach (3) - Siamese Flying Fox (3) - Ornamental Snails (1) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Neon Tetra (12) - Otocinclus (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (5) - Siamese Fighting Fish (male) (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Goby?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 07:05:35 PM »
It is a goby because if the fins on its back, but which one?

Did the shop not say which species it was? They should have a list somewhere of what they had delivered from the wholesaler.

Offline AnyaW

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 07:09:58 PM »
I don't think he knew he said he didn't normally have goby's so not sure if he got it by mistake, just thought I'd ask in case anyone knew

Angelfish (4) - Keyhole Cichlid (1) - Denison's Barb (5) - Clown Loach (3) - Siamese Flying Fox (3) - Ornamental Snails (1) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Neon Tetra (12) - Otocinclus (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (5) - Siamese Fighting Fish (male) (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Richard W

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 08:43:54 AM »
This seems to be one of the sleeper gobies, generally known as gudgeons in Australia, (Eleotridae) rather than a true goby (Gobiidae). It's probably one of the species of Mogurnda, most likely the Purple Spotted Gudgeon Mogurnda mogurnda. If you look for photos of this fish on the internet, you will see that it is very variable with some looking quite like yours, others rather different. However, yours shows some typical features, which seem to be characteristic of this species :

there are three dark lines on the gill covers, behind the eye
there is a row of dark spots along the base of the anal fin (underside, in front of the tail)

Yours may still be immature and might develop more colour later.

If it's not this species, it is certainly closely related.

Offline AnyaW

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 05:58:29 PM »
Thanks for the info Richard I will look this up, I have asked the lfs today and he is going to check for definate with his supplier :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Goby?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
10 Replies
Last post May 11, 2014, 03:39:11 PM
by dbaggie
2 Replies
Last post September 26, 2015, 01:04:23 AM
by Fiona

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: