Fish I Acquired When I Purchased A 2nd Hand Tank

Author Topic: Fish i acquired when I purchased a 2nd hand tank  (Read 6534 times) 26 replies

Offline Johno2009

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
Re: Fish i acquired when I purchased a 2nd hand tank
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2020, 11:12:45 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
This is kind of info you can recieve that confuses people when it comes to stocking up a tank. I asked a question on a forum asking what people have in there tank and this was one reply. Which to me seems over stocked for a 120ltr tank:

1 FLAME DWARF GOURAMI (COLISA IALIA)
4 DWARF NEON RAINBOWFISH (MELANOTAENIA PRAECOX)
2 ELECTRIC BLUE RAM DWARF CICHLID (MIKROGEOPHAGUS RAMIREZI "ELECTRIC BLUE")
1 TEFE AGASSIZI'S DWARF CICHLID (APISTOGRAMMA CF. AGASSIZII "TEFE")
1 PEACOCK GUDGEON (TATEURNDINA OCELLICAUDA)
6 JAPAN BLUE GOLD DOUBLE SWORD GUPPY (POECILIA RETICULATA)
11 CARDINAL TETRA (PARACHEIRODON AXELRODI)
3 OTOCINCLUS CATFISH (OTOCINCLUS MACROSPILUS)
1 RETICULATED HILLSTREAM LOACH (SEWELLIA LINEOLATA)
1 L134 LEOPARD FROG AKA IMPERIAL TIGER PLECO (PECKOLTIA COMPTA)
2 BAMBOO SHRIMP (ATYOPSIS MOLUCCENSIS) AKA SINGAPORE FLOWER SHRIMP
20 AMANO SHRIMP AKA YAMATO SHRIMP (CARIDINA MULTIDENTATA)
6 MYSTERY SNAILS (POMACEA BRIDGESII)
2 CHOPSTICK SNAILS (STENOMELANIA SP.)
2 JAPANESE TRAPDOOR SNAILS (VIVIPARUS MALLEATTUS)
11 GERTRUDE’S SPOTTED BLUE EYE RAINBOWFISH (PSEUDOMUGIL GERTRUDAE)

Offline Fishbeard

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Bearded Fish Forum User
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2020, 11:58:03 PM »
Just because can fit those fish in a tank doesn't mean that you should.

You can keep a betta in a tiny little fish bowl, with 5L of water. It might live for a year or more, but it doesn't mean that it's healthy or that it's living a good life. You could take a 120L tank and stock more than twice the recommended amount of fish, and there'd still be plenty of room for decor. It might look fine, but as with any pet, the wellbeing of the pet comes first.

You can keep hard water fish in soft water (and vice versa). They won't die overnight, and some people will say they've done it for years and the fish have lived for years, and justify doing it for that reason. People on this thread have encouraged you get a sand substrate for the cories, to help them with feeding and to protect their barbels. You can keep them on gravel, they won't die immediately, but they won't have the best quality of life.

I remember when I was starting out, and there was a lot of information, and a lot of it conflicting. New information comes out all the time, telling you to use this product, or to stop using that product, or to do one big water change each week, or to do more frequent small changes... there's that much to it that in the end, I decided to pick one source and follow it, at least then you'll be consistant in your approach.

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2020, 05:24:53 PM »
Hi @Johno2009

Yes, there is a lot of conflicting information available, and it is often very difficult to decide which advice to follow.

Aquatics & fishkeeping as a hobby has been around a long time, and fish, equipment & advice has evolved along the way. There will always be people who have done the same thing successfully for 50 years, and there will always be new information available as the hobby evolves.

On this forum there tends to be a leaning towards providing information from sources such as seriously fish and other sites that @fcmf has mentioned. Experts such as Neale Monks are also often cited. Advice on this forum tends to lean towards fish welfare, keeping livestock towards the middle of their stated parameters, and providing an enriching environment to keep them as comfortable a possible. Sometimes this advice may seem a bit harsh, and not what you have heard for other sources.

I will admit that I sometimes stray from keeping fish in the most suitable environment. I have previously bought fish that are completely unsuitable for my tanks, and have had to buy different tanks to keep them in as they couldn't be mixed with my existing fish. Also, I live in a hard water area, and instead of choosing fish that are suitable for the local water I chose fish I liked, and had to change the water to suit them (mainly RO/tap water mix).  Even so, some of the fish are towards the very upper limit of their quoted tolerances, and the people on this forum still support me whenever I ask questions an have problems, even though my fish keeping isn't "perfect".

At the end of the day it is your choice to take on board all information provided form all the sources you have accessed, and make your decisions. Whatever your decisions are, we will continue to support you in any way possible.

Whatever you chose to do, I hope that everything works out well for you and your fish.  :)   :fishy1:

Offline Corydude

• Super Subscriber!
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2021, 03:56:26 PM »
Hi, new to the forum and clocked your post. The cory is an Emerald Cory. I have 3 along with 3 bronze cory in my tank

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2021, 06:25:46 AM »
Hi, new to the forum and clocked your post. The cory is an Emerald Cory. I have 3 along with 3 bronze cory in my tank

Hi Corydude, welcome to the forum.

‘Emerald Cory’ is a name that gets applied to several species,  mainly C. aeneus and C. (Brochis) splendens. This one is C. aeneus (Bronze Cory).

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2021, 06:39:49 AM »
Hi @Corydude  and welcome to the forum.  :wave:
What else do you have in your tank?  :)

Offline Corydude

• Super Subscriber!
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2021, 06:50:45 AM »
Hi Littlefish, along with 6 Cory's, I have guppies, 6 male and 6 female. Already have 3 babies  :yikes: I'm leaving them to survive on their own, Darwin will sort them out.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Fish i acquired when I purchased a 2nd hand tank"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post October 21, 2013, 08:21:21 AM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post January 28, 2014, 04:40:00 PM
by Sue
15 Replies
Last post February 25, 2014, 03:20:52 PM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post November 15, 2014, 11:30:00 AM
by Aquamaid
9 Replies
Last post November 22, 2014, 09:49:14 AM
by Aquamaid
22 Replies
Last post January 29, 2018, 02:01:20 PM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post January 28, 2018, 04:54:14 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: