White Spot Outbreak

Author Topic: White Spot Outbreak  (Read 5606 times) 6 replies

Offline Wild Rover

• Super Fishy Member
White Spot Outbreak
« on: November 09, 2013, 10:21:02 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I have a serious white spot outbreak  :(

All 9 of my young Cardinals have died but my 6 Dwarf Rainbows, 2 Electric Blue Ram and 2 Otto's are hanging in there. I started treatment yesterday (Interpet 7 day, 2 dose treatment) My fish seem happier today although still covered in white spots... feeding well and less 'flicking'

When will the white spots drop off the fish and when will they be happy again?

I understand the way the little b*stards work and that I will need to keep up the treatment but I hate seeing them covered in this way. There are many articles explaining the cycle but I can't find one saying when the parasites drop off to begin the next stage

What are the chances it will return later?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Dwarf Rainbowfish (24) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: White Spot Outbreak
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 12:08:32 PM »
The speed of the whitespot lifecycle is temperature dependent. The warmer the water, the faster they fall off. That's the reason the articles don't give a time scale. If you turn your heater up slowly to get the water to around 30 deg, that is the usual recommended temp. You rams will like it that warm! Turn it back down slowly afterwards. If your heater is like mine (the temp on the dial doesn't give that temp) make a note of the setting before turning it up.
Sometimes the parasites attach to the fish's gills. This is what can kill fish.

If you kill all the parasites in the tank now, it shouldn't return. The tales of it coming back are usually when the person has failed to treat the tank properly, and stopped the med once the spots have gone. I usually add two or three extra doses on the end of the course, but I do use it at half dose in the tank with the loaches.
But, should you ever introduce new fish that are already infected you'll get another outbreak. The parasite is invisible when it first attaches, we can only see it once its coating gets big enough. Fish that don't show signs in the shop could be in the early stages. This is one reason to quarantine all new fish for at least two weeks. I've has whitespot several times, which is why I now quarantine new fish.

Offline Wild Rover

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 08:47:18 PM »
Thanks Sue, what we do without you! I'm afraid I have neither the room or finances to run a quarantine tank, I guess only buying fish that have been in the LFS for a while is the next best option. MA have kindly offered to replace all of the nine Cardinals for me. My Rams are looking very poorly, floating right near the top of the tank hardly moving. They look so pitiful, really covered in white spot, I'm expecting the worst in the morning. The Dwarf rainbows are faring better so fingers crossed.

Dwarf Rainbowfish (24) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Wild Rover

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 07:28:26 AM »
Lost both Rams  :( But all Dwarf Rainbows (and both Otto's who somehow don't seem to have been infected) seem much better. It's day five since I spotted the infection and commenced treatment but the Rainbows still have some spots (albeit many less). Is this normal when five days into a seven day treatment? Could it be they are not spots at all but the marks left behind when the parasites dropped off?

Dwarf Rainbowfish (24) -

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 08:36:33 AM »
It could be. The parasite burrows into the fish's tissues and eats them. I suppose that this could leave a scar behind.

I've had outbreaks of whitespot where some fish have had no spots too. The green neons (closely related to your cardinals) have always had it worst.

Offline Stefan

• Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 08:10:18 PM »
Sorry to hear about the white spot trouble and the loss of your fish Wild Rover. I had an outbreak 2 weeks ago which unfortunately plagued 8 of my fish who died because of it. My last treatment was today, so after today I'm going to be keeping a close eye on the remaining fish that's left whilst keeping the temperature up until the 25th, then lower it from there.

Such a stressful and frustrating parasite. I'll be restocking my tank in the new year with a whole new stock  :)

Offline evan47

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 08:49:46 PM »
i am new to fish keeping and have been treating a white spot problem over the last few days.
one of my platys was injured by a paradise fish (now returned to lfs), it developed a small fungus patch around the wound and then the white spot took hold and spread through the tank quickly.
after two days of treatment the worse of the spots have gone.
today is the fourth day and things are looking so much better. i feared the worse at one point.
remove your charcoal filter elements, turn up the aquarium heater a little and follow the instructions on the treatment bottle. (when doing partial water changes dont forget to add the correct amount of meds to the water you are adding) skip a day or two of feeding and you should be ok.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "White Spot Outbreak"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
25 Replies
Last post July 30, 2014, 10:26:01 AM
by Pawel
41 Replies
Last post August 25, 2014, 05:03:03 PM
by Diz1
7 Replies
Last post October 23, 2014, 10:08:01 PM
by lynda51
3 Replies
Last post November 08, 2014, 08:35:01 PM
by biffster
8 Replies
Last post December 10, 2014, 08:34:15 PM
by Mogwai
6 Replies
Last post February 05, 2015, 10:58:55 AM
by Richard W
8 Replies
Last post May 08, 2020, 08:37:00 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: