White Spot Or Fungus

Author Topic: White Spot or Fungus  (Read 7180 times) 12 replies

Offline adenann

• Fishy Member
White Spot or Fungus
« on: January 25, 2017, 08:55:33 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi All

Having lost 2 of our original Gourami, and not being quite up to capacity for the tank, 10 days ago we went and got 4 Mollies, 2 black and 2 white, all females.

I've been trailing a weekend feed using TetraMin Weekend Feeding Sticks.  Tomorrow will be the last day of the trial.  Everything has been going very well, up until tonight.

Because of the unknown consequences of using the feeding sticks, I've been keeping a very close eye on water parameters, checking every day, and they've been perfect.  The fish behaviour has been fine too and their general appearance has been great.

Tonight I noticed a problem with one of the Black Mollies.  She's got several small white spots over her body, which led me to think "White Spot" but there's also what looks a bit like cotton wool on the left side of her mouth.  Could this be "Fungus".  I hope the attached photo contains enough detail on which to pass comment.

I don't have a quarantine tank so I'm going to rig up a quarantine area in the main tank using a large plastic bag.  This may, or may not, isolate the problem from the other fish, but I guess if I can see the spots it's likely some /all of the others are already infected.  Of course, it's 9:00 pm now so I won't be able to get hold of any treatments until first thing in the morning.  How rapidly is the infection likely to spread?

I picked up a Common Fish Diseases leaflet from P@H some time ago.  For both situations, it also recommends the use of Aquarium Tonic Salt.

Any thoughts on using the salt plus mixing the White Spot and Fungus treatments in respect of curing the problem with the Molly and also on the effect on our other stock, Gourami, Cherry Barbs and False Julii Corydoras?

Thanks

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
Re: White Spot or Fungus
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 10:11:04 PM »
I'm not experienced with white spot so will let someone else get back to you on that, however, corys in particular I know are sensitive to salt...

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 10:21:54 AM »
Most of your fish won't like salt - except the mollies.

Do the spots look as though the fish has been sprinkled with salt?
Do any other fish have anything on them? When I had import spot last year (a nasty variant of whitespot) my cherry barbs were the first species to show spots.
Looking at your photo, the white bits look a bit on the fluffy side for whitespot which is usually well defined spots. You can see the fish better than a photo so can you tell us if the spots are at all fluffy looking?

How hard is your water? Mollies are a species that must have hard water. In soft water, or even middling water, they become sick very easily. Mollies kept in water that's not hard enough come down with all sorts of things from the shimmies to infections of all types.
There is a body of opinion that whitespot is present in all tanks all the time but that only stressed, and therefore weakened fish get it; healthy unstressed fish can fight it off.

Offline adenann

• Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 03:40:16 PM »
Hi @Sue  :wave:

The spots are not exactly sprinkled, no more than 10 - 12, which is why I queried fungus not necessarily white spot.  The first picture is a very large magnification from the original, then scaled down to meet the upload limitations of the web-site.  The originals of both and in the flesh show distinctive pin-head sized spots.  As it happens, the fluffiness around the mouth has disappeared this morning and turned into 2 distinct spots.  Overall, the number of spots has reduced from last night ,  I pretty much convinced it's white spot.

As you will imagine, I've checked all the other fish and can't see anything untoward, yet...

Our water is hard/very hard according to Cambridge Water Co.  Since I got my liquid test kit (JB Labs) I consistently get GH odH of 18-20 in the tank.  KH is running at around 8.

Taking whatever action I could last night, I quarantined the sick Molly and raised the tank temperature to 28oC.

I went to my nearest LFS first thing this morning.  The very knowledgeable manager there also espoused the theory that white spot is present all the time.

I was recommended, and bought, some Waterlife Protozin which seems to be a cure-all for White Spot, Fungus, Trichodiniasis (No, me neither.  I Googled it but am still none the wiser.) and Neon Tetra Disease.  Probably gets little Boy Scouts out of horse hooves and stains out of carpets too.  Actually, not stains out of anything as it has Malachite Green in it.  Just as well we didn't get round to getting a replacement snail at the weekend, as the Copper Sulphate in it would have been a problem.

LFS man was adamant :isay: that correct dosage of Aquarium Salt wouldn't harm our Corries.  Even though all the web-sites I checked last night (plus @Matt's comment late last night) say that they don't like it.  Rightly or wrongly, I was persuaded to get some.  I know you're of the "never trust LFS advice persuasion", but he's well aware I'm not getting my fish from him (sticking with MA for consistency) and is he going to risk his reputation for £3.99?  Erring on the side of my own caution though, plus LFS advice to build up slowly, I've only used a half dose so far.

Normal water change is due on Saturday and I'll make my decision then on going forward with the salt or not.  I'll also need to drop the temperature back a little, as 28 is a tad too high for Corries.

After our Gourami, the next largest fish we have is this sick Molly. Although the Mollies have the largest mouths, by far.  It may be that after 4 days of weekend stick feeding, when not much of the sticks has been consumed and the fish appearing to need some effort to bite pieces of them, this one was getting a more hungry than the others and, therefore, stressed.

I had a discussion with the LFS man about the holiday feeding, but I'll leave that for a separate thread once the current "crisis" is out of the way.  I'll also post something about why I chose NT Labs, as opposed to API, for my test kit.

Thanks for the help to-date. :cheers:

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 04:11:17 PM »
Small amounts of salt for short periods won't harm the cories etc, it's when people go mad with it that does the harm. The usual 'if a bit is good, a lot is better' syndrome.

And your water is hard enough for mollies so that isn't the cause.

Raising the water temp is good for whitespot as it helps push the parasite through its lifecycle faster so it gets to the last, killable stage faster. But it is not good for other conditions such as external bacterial infections.

Trichodiniasis (No, me neither.  I Googled it but am still none the wiser.)

Try googling trichodina. The -iasis bit just means a disease produced by the first part of the word so trichodiniasis means a disease produced by trichodina.

Offline adenann

• Fishy Member
Re: White Spot or Fungus - An Update
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 06:53:06 PM »
@Sue :wave:

Try googling trichodina. The -iasis bit just means a disease produced by the first part of the word so trichodiniasis means a disease produced by trichodina.

Quite.  Some of the Google replies mentioned this.  But I'm still none the wiser.  Can't get my head around anything except what is it out of White Spot, Velvet or Fungus at the moment.  From the brief look I took, I think this only affects Cichlids?

After I wrote my previous post, I went and checked on Sick Molly in particular and another once-over for the others.

Would you believe it :o!  All the pin-head spots have now turned into light, slightly fluffy, patches.  Maybe what happens after the spots burst and the parasite goes into the next stage of its' lifecycle?  She also displays fin clamping of the dorsal and anal fins and a shimmering (sometimes) swimming pattern although the pectorals look fine.

Now I'm not convinced it's White Spot :-\.  I don't think there's any more I can do though.  I've accurately dosed the tank with Protozin and a half dose of Aquarium Salt.  I'm going to leave it for tonight and let nature take it's course, helped by the chemicals.

The other fish are still fine, except maybe one of a pair of blue/silver Male Guppies (i.e. just one out of the 8 we have) where the tail has gone from a dark to lighter blue, when compared to the other.  Another sign of stress?

None of the "well" fish are displaying any spots, lesions, cotton wool like patches, odd behaviour, etc., etc.

I'm also finished with the Weekend Feeding trial.  Everyone is back on "normal" feeding with, mainly Tetra  Pro Colour, supplemented by the odd day of brine shrimp or bloodworm (none of them seem to really like bloodworm) and occasional pellets as supplements for the Corries stuck on the glass near where they hide away.

Sick Molly doesn't seem to have lost her appetite.

Small amounts of salt for short periods won't harm the corries etc, it's when people go mad with it that does the harm. The usual 'if a bit is good, a lot is better' syndrome.

Ah, now I understand what LFS Man was on about.  Same with the temperature comment he made that a degree over limit, for a short time, won't unduly affect the Corries either.

:cheers:

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 08:12:30 PM »
From your description, the molly doesn't have whitespot. When the parasite leaves the fish it doesn't leave any fluffiness behind, maybe a tiny hole which we can't see with the naked eye. After last year, I know what whitespot looks like unfortunately.

But the symptoms do sound like a molly that is not very happy. The shimmies usually occur in water that's too soft. But your water company and your test results rule that out.

If all the other fish look OK, I can only suggest that the molly was sick when you bought it, and it has now started to show symptoms.

Offline adenann

• Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 08:37:34 PM »
Thanks @Sue.

Just a waiting game now.  Given we've had the Mollies since 14th January, should the worst happen, I don't think I can go back to MA with a complaint.  I think their guarantee on fish is just a few days.

If Sick Molly goes :(, we'll have to put it down to another unexplained demise, like Jimmy the Snail.  The 2 Gourami we've lost went from their own curiosity/stupidity.  But it means we've now lost 4 critters since we started stocking the tank on 3rd November, only 2+ months.  Is this "normal" attrition?

I'll let you know how things go/went after the weekend.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2017, 10:43:39 PM »
Given we've had the Mollies since 14th January, should the worst happen, I don't think I can go back to MA with a complaint.  I think their guarantee on fish is just a few days.
Whatever happens, and I do hope this has a positive outcome although it seems unlikely, I think it's always helpful to feed back to the LFS and find out if others who bought those fish have had similar problems. Not a complaint - just feedback plus finding out if it was a general problem (or if any of the fish in the LFS's molly tank are showing similar "attributes").

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 11:53:49 AM »
I agree with @fcmf
Discussions with LFS are always useful, and I'm sure that most stores appreciate customer feedback, even if it's not always positive, as it helps them to improve standards.

Offline adenann

• Fishy Member
Re: White Spot or Fungus - How Very, Very, Bizarre
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2017, 03:09:43 PM »
@Sue  :wave:

I know I said I'd do an update on Sick Molly after the weekend, but "Twilight Zone" has descended on Adenann Towers.

First thing this morning, did a detailed check on all the fish.  Everyone fine.  Sick Molly looking a lot better, not so much fin clamping and white patches definitely looking like they were clearing up.  She was even re-asserting herself as shoal-leader if not yet quite up to being tank-commander.

Water parameters OK-ish, NH3 and pH normal with just very, very, slightly raised NO2.  NO3 was slightly up too.  I'm putting the slight increases down to reaction to the Protozin.  I'll do more tests on this later on this afternoon and maybe use some SeaChem Prime, to "detoxify" them both.

When I got back home this lunchtime and was about to do the next dose of Protozin, I checked them all out again.  All OK except ... (Queue mysterious soundtrack) ...

Sick Molly NO LONGER SICK!!:)  Fin clamping GONE.  White patches GONE.  But, and I still can't believe this, smaller sister black molly ALSO GONE. Stiff as a board, upright, on the bottom of the tank.  Not a mark on her.  Just plain dead!:'(

What is going on???  I don't believe a single dose of Protozin can have worked such a miracle with Sick OK Molly.  And Sister Molly pop off totally unexplained within 4 hours having shown no sign of illness whatsoever.    So frustrating.

Even though OK Molly is now well on the mend (who knows what will happen tomorrow),  I'm going ahead with the Protozin treatment since, if it's true that White Spot parasites are always in the water, I may as well try and kill them off anyway.  Plus, I'm a firm believer that if, like penicillin for example, you stop a course of treatment part way through you end up creating treatment resistant variants.
 :cheers:

Offline Sue

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2017, 06:44:34 PM »
That does sound odd - but it does suggest something wrong with the batch of black mollies.

And yes, I always finish the course of medicine as well.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2017, 07:28:56 PM »
Sorry to hear about the smaller molly.
Really does sound as if you were unlucky with the mollies.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "White Spot or Fungus"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
7 Replies
Last post August 19, 2013, 10:16:49 AM
by Cinders
2 Replies
Last post June 19, 2014, 02:25:59 PM
by FishFan
7 Replies
Last post October 23, 2014, 10:08:01 PM
by lynda51
6 Replies
Last post July 16, 2015, 01:12:19 PM
by Extreme_One
28 Replies
Last post July 25, 2018, 04:15:11 PM
by Sue
8 Replies
Last post May 08, 2020, 08:37:00 PM
by Littlefish
10 Replies
Last post January 05, 2023, 08:29:21 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: