What On Earth Is Happening To My Fish??

Author Topic: What on earth is happening to my fish??  (Read 3845 times) 3 replies

Offline scaniajess

What on earth is happening to my fish??
« on: August 15, 2013, 05:43:59 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I have a 40 UK gal tank with two goldfish that are well over 10 years old. One of them, for the past three months or so has been acting very strange. At first he was just laying on the bottom of the tank, then he would get bursts of erratic swimming before resting again. He then developed a bend and would almost tip onto his side which convinced me he was about to die (that was over a month ago). He's now got a lot of bumps all over his tail and fins (looks like tumours) and his dorsal fin is turning black. He just looks like he's going crazy, thats the only way I can describe his behaviour  :(

I've had the tank running for years and the water parameters are always perfect as I thought maybe he had ammonia poisoning.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: What on earth is happening to my fish??
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 07:33:00 PM »
The tank is big enough, the water is good, so we have to look elsewhwere.

The lumps - do they look like small cauliflowers?  My last betta has lymphocystis - the cauliflower lumps - and he was OK for ages then suddenly went downhill. This is an incurable disease, unfortunately.
Or as you say, it could be tumors though I've not had personal experience of that.

Other than that, I'm afraid I can't be much help, I'm sorry.

Offline scaniajess

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 08:25:59 PM »
Thanks for replying  :) The lumps are just solid white perfectly round lumps. All over his tail and along the edges of his fins. I wish I could get him still enough to take a good pic. I'll try again tomorrow.

Offline Resa

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 01:06:48 PM »
Hi Scaniajess,

Sorry to hear about your poorly goldfish :( I have been reading up a bit lately on different diseases after losing a dwarf gourami to a disease they are prone to. Now, I am a complete know nothing, but I'm wondering if your fishy could have Neon Tetra Disease? I know that sounds mad, but it does affect other fish too, including goldfish. The symptoms sound just like you describe, with the lumps, which are the muscles being distorted by the disease and the dorsal fin turning black. Just a thought?

Sadly, even if I am right, it doesn't help you much as there is no cure :( but you could maybe put him in to another tank if you have one, to try and protect your other fish.
It is caused by them eating something that is carrying the parasite. Have you had another fish dead that they may have eaten some of? Or, have you fed them tubifex?

Anyway, like I said....just a thought...

All the best
Resa

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "What on earth is happening to my fish??"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
Fat Fish

Started by Chucklett « 1 2 » Fish Health

34 Replies
Last post October 26, 2012, 06:56:08 PM
by Chucklett
15 Replies
Last post November 14, 2012, 06:38:36 PM
by Chucklett
10 Replies
Last post December 03, 2012, 07:05:39 PM
by Chucklett
5 Replies
Last post December 29, 2012, 07:07:52 PM
by brecon
14 Replies
Last post May 13, 2014, 01:47:57 PM
by SteveS
8 Replies
Last post February 08, 2020, 03:10:30 PM
by jaypeecee
6 Replies
Last post February 26, 2024, 07:27:20 PM
by uv

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: