Author Topic: Twitching Xray Tetra  (Read 9676 times) 12 replies

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
Twitching Xray Tetra
« on: March 19, 2015, 02:46:39 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi all,
I've noticed one of my Pristella twitching and hanging around a part of the tank away from the other tetras. His head is higher than his tail too. No other signs of disease. Checked the water and all is fine. Nitrates around 30 so I've done a 30% water change to be on the safe side. Any advice? Thanks!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Twitching Xray Tetra
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 03:14:28 PM »
You've done what I would have suggested, a water change. Then just watch it for signs of anything else. It could be just one of those things we never find out why or it could be a sign of a disease setting in. Time will tell. One of my ember tetras sort of twitches and has done for months. I've been expecting to find it dead for all this time but it is still alive.

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 03:18:54 PM »
Thanks Sue,
Hopefully he'll improve, though I'm kind of proud that I've done what you would have suggested. I may be getting the hang of this fish keeping malarkey!

Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 05:12:17 PM »
One of my Embers is exactly the same  - all on his own, twitching away. he's been doing it since I bought them some 2 months ago. Every now and again he snaps himself out of it, and rejoins the rest. No sign of disease. He feeds normally. Perhaps it is a new tetra trait.....The Tetra Twitch!

Skittler

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 09:10:50 PM »
That sounds exactly the same as my Pristella. Spends most of the day twitching in the corner, then snaps out of it and schools with the rest of her buddies.

The Tetra Twitch is cracking name... it'll probably catch on!

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 06:09:49 PM »
The poor thing is now vertical and not moving much. Still no sign of disease, any suggestions? I'm starting to think its a swim bladder infection...

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 07:14:57 PM »
The problem with that is knowing what exactly the infection is. If it is bacteria, it might be possible to treat it; if it is viral, there are no medications that will work. It could even be constipation or some other swelling pressing on the swim bladder.

If you want to try a treatment, the only one that might work is an anti-internal bacteria medication. If that doesn't work, there's nothing else to try, I'm afraid.

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 07:38:05 PM »
Thanks Sue,
I tried the anti bacterial treatment with aquarium salt and he he seemed worse after a couple of days. Very stressed in my small qt. I popped him back in the main aquarium last night, but he seems a little worse today. He is swimming around now, but with his head way up in the air... Err... I mean water!

Can't get him to eat peas so guess I'll just wait and see...

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 10:48:33 PM »
I have quite a bit of experience in this area - but all with goldfish.  As a first port of call, I tried a change in diet (no pellets/flakes, only peas chopped into tiny morsels or sometimes bloodworm).  As a second port of call, if that hadn't worked after a few days, then I tried aquarium salt - often very effective overnight.  My third port of call was either swimbladder or internal bacterial infection treatment, the latter being the better option.  It seems like you've tried everything (and I appreciate that he won't eat peas - my pristella tetras don't either), so, indeed, it does seem like a waiting game.

The only other suggestion that I have is that, if you were to keep him in / move him back into the quarantine tank, lowering the water as much as possible (heater/filter permitting) so that he doesn't have a long way to go if he loses his balance or floats up like a helium balloon which can be distressing - and I've read that raising the temperature by a degree or two can help too.

Incidentally, aquarium salt shouldn't be used with some fish - cories, I believe, but there may be others.

Hope the waiting game has a positive outcome - you've been doing your best.

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2015, 11:48:10 AM »
But aquarium salt can be used in a quarantine tank without affecting the other fish.

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2015, 06:47:00 PM »
Thanks FCMF,
Unfortunately aquarium salt and internal bacteria meds didn't improve his condition after 2 days in QT and poor fellow was all washed out colourwise. The rest of the shoal looked so happy and vibrant that I decided to pop him back in with them. His colours are back to normal but he's still looking terribly ill. Don't think he'll make it but surprised he was still going when I got home today. Keep your fingers crossed for him!

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2015, 04:29:57 PM »
Just to let you know, I woke up this morning to find a pile of Red Cherry Shrimps clumped in one corner of the tank. Wondering what was going on, I noticed that I could no longer see my sick x-ray tetra. I dunked my net in, scattering the shrimps as I did so, to discover the poor little fella had passed away last night.

I'm pretty sure that it was a swim bladder infection and I'm really disappointed that I couldn't find a treatment that worked. However, I did find an article that said it may be because I was feeding too much dried food. I switched to New Life Spectrum micro pellets just after Christmas as they are supposed to be one of the best dried food on the market. However, it would appear that pellets and feeding at the surface may cause tetra to be more prone to swim bladder infections. Whilst I don't tend to stop feeding the fish micro-pellets for now, I will be pre-soaking them. This may remove some of the nutritional content, but if it helps prevent a swim bladder infection it's definitely worth doing.

Offline Sue

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2015, 04:39:44 PM »
Sorry to hear that. Sometimes we just don't know what the underlying problem is, and even if we do there aren't many medications available in the UK.

I know that with bettas, feeding dry food straight from the pack can cause bloating. This is using both pellets/flakes and dried 'live' food. Bettas gobble their food down so fast it is still dry when it gets inside, then it absorbs water and swells up, causing the damage. This is why I presoak all dried food, no matter which fish it is for.

And that is another use for shrimp. You soon know if a fish has died.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Twitching Xray Tetra"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post January 02, 2013, 08:34:27 PM
by Philip
9 Replies
Last post February 01, 2014, 07:12:17 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post September 22, 2014, 10:47:35 AM
by radhx
2 Replies
Last post January 10, 2015, 10:51:04 AM
by Cod_only_knows
7 Replies
Last post January 19, 2015, 07:15:23 PM
by Aquamaid
6 Replies
Last post October 17, 2019, 07:46:44 PM
by Matt
6 Replies
Last post February 07, 2020, 12:10:33 PM
by Dpv22

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: