Tumour Or Lymphocystis

Author Topic: Tumour or lymphocystis  (Read 4752 times) 5 replies

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Tumour or lymphocystis
« on: December 01, 2012, 02:33:18 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I have mentioned in other threads that my new plakat betta, which I bought in August, has a lump. It first appeared a couple of weeks after I got him as a raised scale, as if he'd caught himself on the decor. But it got bigger and bigger.
I'm not sure what it is, but I've narrowed it down to a tumour or lymphocystis. It doesn't look like a lot of pics of lymphocystis, but rather than risk it he's been moved to a tank on his own, and I use a separate siphon tube and bucket for his water changes.

I've attached a few photos. Some of them are a bit blurry as he did not want to co-operate  >:(  but the lump is clear enough.

Anyone any ideas which it is?

Offline Don

• Fishy Member
Re: Tumour or lymphocystis
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 03:47:52 PM »
Just had a look online and apparently lymphcitius looks pinkish white and goes like a cauliflour and often occurs in multiple places.
That looks to be the same as his body colour with the same scale pattern over it. On those pics id say tumour over lymphicitius.
Hes a stunning fish though sue.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Golden Pencilfish (25) - Panda Cory (20) - Panda Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Lampeye Panchax (15) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Discus (7) - Sparkling Gourami (8) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Bristlenose Plec (3) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 04:13:07 PM »
The lack of white was the thing that made me wonder. The lump does get a speck of white but it comes and goes. The bigger it gets, the less it looks cauliflowery. If it is a tumour, at least the fish he was with in the 50 litre tank should be safe from infection. But I'll still keep him on his own, just in case.

He was sold as a bright blue dragon half moon plakat. He was pale blue when he arrived, I suspected that was due to the trauma of being posted, and as you can see he is now bright blue. And he's definitely a half moon; the edges of his tail are maybe slightly over 180o apart.
I swore I'd never get another dragonscale after what happened to the eyes of my last one, but I thought this one didn't look as if he had very thick scaling. But, look at his left eye in the first photo.......

Old forum members might remember the dragonscale betta that died just recently. I posted the first photo below on the old site when I first got him. A year or so after that was taken, he developed finrot after his tail was bitten by a frog. I finally stopped the rot with esha 2000, but his tail never looked the same again. But the reason for posting these pics is to show what can happen to the eyes of a dragonscale betta. These fish have thicker than normal scales, and the scaling can grow over their eyes. These pics were taken shortly before he died.

Offline Don

• Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 04:19:50 PM »
Very true hes definetly a plakat too those fins dont look to long at all. I couldnt see any white in it from the pics. I think id be inclined to leave him on his own too just in case.
kept a couple of bettas but never dragon scales never new that was a problem but looks like his eye is a scale in the last pic!

Golden Pencilfish (25) - Panda Cory (20) - Panda Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Lampeye Panchax (15) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Discus (7) - Sparkling Gourami (8) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Bristlenose Plec (3) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 12:58:34 PM »
The time has come.

My poor plakat was suffering. He had been hiding away with his fins clamped up and the lump had got much worse. Over the weekend it burst open and it was a horrible spongey white. And he was also growing more lumps down his side. So this morning I put him to sleep. I just couldn't bear the thoughts of him being covered in several lumps like the first one.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 01:39:21 PM »
Sorry to hear that..... but you did the decent thing.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Tumour or lymphocystis"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
10 Replies
Last post March 27, 2015, 08:23:13 AM
by fishcake76

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: