Author Topic: Tiger Barb with swim bladder issue  (Read 7598 times) 4 replies

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Call me Simon
Tiger Barb with swim bladder issue
« on: February 07, 2016, 07:26:03 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
One of my Green Tiger Barbs clearly has a swim bladder problem.

She's unusual to say the least. She's darker than the others, almost black! She's a lot smaller than the others and she swims funny

She's very rarely upright and is usually swimming nose up continually fighting gravity to avoid sinking.

Whereas the other Tiger Barbs are graceful (well in comparison anyway) she is  awkward and seems to be forever exerting herself, constantly flicking her tail, in order to keep from descending.

The thing is, she seems to be doing fine in all other regards.
She's eating normally and remains in the shoal with the others, she's not being picked on. She just swims funny.

I feed a good variety of food, mainly dried, but also some live and frozen and some veg including peas on occasion.

This has been going on for about two months and I've been watching and waiting to see if the situation improves.

Now I'm wondering what others think.
Should I attempt to treat it, or should I accept she's just different.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
Re: Tiger Barb with swim bladder issue
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 07:40:41 PM »
If she behaves like a typical tiger barb, leave things as they are. I don't like adding medication 'just in case'. The exception is if you use a separate hospital tank, that way you are only putting chemicals into one fish, not the whole tank.

I've learned this the hard way. Several years ago I had honey gouramis and golden pencilfish in the same tank. One of the gouramis started looking a bit iffy, sort of transparent and hiding more than usual. I decided to add melafix and pimafix to the tank as I had no idea what the problem was. These can be mixed, and they are "natural" treatments. I added the meds then went to watch Countdown. 45 mins later I went to look in the tank. All but one pencilfish were dead; the one that wasn't was thrashing about and died shortly afterwards.
Now I don't add any med until I know what I'm treating and where possible I medicate in the QT.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 07:58:09 PM »
Thanks Sue.  :cheers:

I do have a QT tank, however it has a pair of Agassiz's in at present, awaiting a clutch of eggs.

I'm not too keen on moving her really, as she seems fine generally.

I'll keep an eye on her and only consider treatment if she deteriorates.

Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 08:56:55 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Having had a fancy goldfish in the past who was very prone to swimbladder problems, battling to swim without floating up like a helium balloon or spending long periods of time floating upside down, I've tried and tested various options.  Usually, the "line of treatment" went as follows: (i) dietary - feeding more peas or bloodworm and much less dried food; (ii) aquarium salt treatment [NB may not be suitable for tiger barbs]; (iii) medication - swimbladder or internal bacteria infection treatment.

Have you noticed whether her swimming action improves after pea/bloodworm rather than after dried food? You could try reducing the dried food for a week or so and increasing the pea/bloodworm food during that time to see whether that makes a difference. I've also read that spirulina can work well for swimbladder problems.

As she's still behaving normally otherwise, and especially after 2mths of this, I agree with you that best not to move her - the stress may do more harm than good.  If she deteriorates, then it might be worth moving her and increasing the non-dried food in the QT to see if that makes a difference.  As for aquarium salt, this often worked wonders with an overnight improvement for my goldfish BUT many tropical fish don't seem to tolerate salt; however, it seems that some do tolerate "salt dips" ie rather than the tank being treated with salt - maybe someone else can advise on this? Finally, if dietary or salt treatments didn't work, then I used a medication which often solved the problem, at least temporarily; my own experience with using medication with tropical fish, and reading of others' experiences (eg Sue's), is that tropical fish are less tolerant of them and so I'd definitely leave that as a "last resort" option.

Hope that helps.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 07:48:58 AM »
Thanks fcmf, good ideas for if I do decide to treat her.

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Tiger Barb with swim bladder issue"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
55 Replies
Last post May 09, 2013, 01:47:32 PM
by Smurrayuk
5 Replies
Last post February 04, 2014, 07:10:25 PM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post May 25, 2014, 10:06:45 PM
by Cazzybaby
28 Replies
Last post January 27, 2015, 06:31:16 PM
by Sanjo
3 Replies
Last post May 23, 2015, 12:15:33 PM
by Fiona
6 Replies
Last post June 22, 2015, 06:22:09 PM
by Extreme_One
8 Replies
Last post February 16, 2016, 01:47:00 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: