Author Topic: Traumatised goldfish?  (Read 6290 times) 9 replies

Offline Jlt93

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Traumatised goldfish?
« on: June 11, 2015, 04:46:13 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hello.

Last year, our outdoor pond goldfish procreated and we ended up with a lot of baby goldfish. This is our first pond so we were still learning about what to do.

We left the goldfish fry in the pond and around about April we had 14 baby goldfish that we all at the same stage in development (all roughly the same size, and colour). Shortly after this, I found one of the goldfish dead and it appeared as if it's head was attacked. More goldfish started disappearing and an empty carcass of the backside of another baby was found. We still to this day have no idea what happened to them.

2 baby goldfish survived. We brought them indoors as we wanted them to survive the best they could. Unfortunately, this is where things took a turn for the worst. One of our goldfish is now going orange, fins and tails are open and swimming around with plenty of energy. The other goldfish is swimming slowly, hovering near the top of the tank we have, not turning orange, fins and tail are closed and just seems to be like it's dying.

Granted, that fish has been through A LOT and if we witnessed the same thing and then our home changed we'd probably suffer a case of PTSD.

We have the goldfish in a temporary tank. It doesn't have any fancy features but just a few objects. I don't know if that's part the problem.

Is there anything I can do to help this goldfish? I really would like it to survive.

Below is an image of the goldfish looking very sad.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Traumatised goldfish?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 04:57:58 PM »
It doesn't look happy, does it. You could try a broad spectrum treatment like eSHa 2000. And make sure there are things in the tank for the fish to hide in.

Offline Jlt93

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 05:11:18 PM »
Right, okay. I'll get some eSHa 2000. There are a few objects the fish can hide behind but I'll be sure to get more just in case.

How much of eSHa 2000 would I need to put in 3 litres approximately of water?

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 06:20:53 PM »
There is a dosage calculator as well as the instructions on eSHa's website here.

However, 3 litres is very tiny. I don't know how you can filter a tank that small. Do you have nothing bigger? Goldfish need really big tanks because they are so messy.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 06:31:59 PM »
Have you tested the water?
That looks like the effects of poor water quality to me.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 07:00:59 PM »
Hi,

I kept goldfish for many years until last year. In the event of a goldfish being "off form" but with no specific diagnosis able to be made, I used aquarium salt - one dosage of that was often enough to rectify the situation within 24hrs. However, as the fins and tail are closed, there isn't much swimming and it's hovering near the top of the tank, it does seem as though the fish needs something more than that, so the suggestion of using eSHa 2000 is a wise and better option in this case.

In terms of objects in the tank, that alone won't be the reason but it may be a small part. If you do get more objects, then I'd advise NOT getting something where there are holes that are slightly smaller than the goldfish - traumatic for fish and owner when the fish squeeze into and get stuck in them (writing this from experience).

Presumably the 3-litre container is what you were planning while medicating the sick fish on its own? Many years ago, I moved a sick fish into a similar-sized container with no filter to medicate, and it didn't survive more than an hour; even last week, I moved a tiny pygmy cory (just over 1cm long) into a 6-litre container and it was struggling before 2hrs had passed.

Goldfish need very large tanks (140+ litres per fish, 180+ litres for two) otherwise the water quality becomes impaired (to such an extent that daily water changes are necessary), leading to an early demise or chronic illnesses. If you don't already have this, then I'd advise upgrading to this or as close to this as you can possibly manage - as soon as possible. They can be bought second-hand on gumtree/ebay, etc, at reasonable prices. If the move for the goldfish is only temporary (eg a few months), and you plan to return them into the pond if/when they are faring better, then you can buy large, plastic storage boxes of ~80 litres from various homestores - a filter will attach to the side of them, and this is as good as a tank of that size and better than a smaller tank, as well as being very affordable.

Hope this helps.  Best of luck!

Offline Jlt93

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 10:55:19 PM »
Sort of, fcmf. We don't have a spare tank as our indoor tank has 4 grown up fish and of course if we left the baby fish outside then they could've died with the other 12. So we did what we could to make sure they grew enough to either mix with the other adult fish or go back to the pond.

It wasn't going to be possible to get a bigger tank, eSHa 2000, other homely items and recover the fish in time. It sadly passed away. I noticed some redness on one of his gills. This isn't visible in the previous picture as it's on the other side.

I'm not sure what this could have been but it doesn't seem to be the changing of its skin  as it was only on one side and it does actually look a little bit inflamed. It's probably what caused him to be stressed out. Perhaps he was attacked in the pond and suffered a very slow death with his why he didn't grow up as fast as the other one.

The other fish, the one that's all happy and colourful is below.

That fish appears to be doing very well. Its full of energy too.

We'll get another tank ASAP. I've also purchased some eSHa 2000. We'll make sure this fish is living the luxurious life just in case anything were to happen.

What do you guys suggest about the redness on the fishes gill?

Offline fcmf

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 08:33:47 AM »
Very sorry to hear about the goldfish.

The pond experiences sound to me as though the goldfish have been attacked by some other creature - not other goldfish.

Others might be better placed to comment on the redness of the fish's gill, although it would be helpful to know what your water results (esp ammonia, nitrates, nitrites) are, as those would form part of the diagnosis process.

Offline Jlt93

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 12:08:18 PM »
We placed the remaining goldfish in the other tank as we have 4 adults and the tank has a filter and plenty of hiding spaces. The first couple of days were very worrisome as we were uncertain on the results. Occasionally, the fish would be hard to find but as the days went by, the fish started to swim around. The other fish don't take any interest and they stay together. It's still early days but we're keeping a close eye and making sure that he is eating.

Hopefully it works out for the best and they all get along.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 08:05:09 PM »
Moving the remaining goldfish into the other tank as you've done sounds a good plan - and a filter is absolutely vital. Fingers crossed that all works out well.

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Traumatised goldfish?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
0 Replies
Last post January 03, 2013, 07:34:07 PM
by ColR1948
7 Replies
Last post August 27, 2013, 09:58:19 PM
by Ceri91
2 Replies
Last post May 26, 2015, 07:28:02 PM
by Thor God Of Thunder
2 Replies
Last post June 16, 2015, 09:04:37 PM
by Extreme_One
2 Replies
Last post July 30, 2015, 05:19:04 PM
by sunshine
8 Replies
Last post January 19, 2020, 09:36:01 PM
by LeakysLab
1 Replies
Last post January 22, 2022, 10:34:48 AM
by Robert

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: