Tetras Dropping Like Flies

Author Topic: tetras dropping like flies  (Read 4674 times) 9 replies

Offline Fiddlefish

• Fishy Member
tetras dropping like flies
« on: July 22, 2014, 03:33:57 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I started out with 6 neon tetras. One, then another started hiding most of the time except meals. The one that had been hiding longer got a spinal deformity, and died. It took a few months for him to die. Then the other one, about a month later, had the same thing happen, and die. Now yet another one is showing the same symptoms. Any ideas as to what this is? Thanks! :fishy1:

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: tetras dropping like flies
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 11:34:56 AM »
There is a disease that affects neon tetras. Do they show any of the following besides spinal deformity:

Red stripe looks washed out or has a milky appearance
Blue stripe looks yellowish, a bit like the fish has velvet but only in this area
Black lining round the red area
Lumps on the belly that go to a point
And bent spine and leaving the shoal which you have reported.

These are symptoms of neon tetra disease or NTD. I'm afraid there is no cure and the recommended control of the disease is to put down any affected fish as soon as you are sure it is NTD before the healthy neons are infected.

The good news is that other species of fish don't catch it.

Offline Fiddlefish

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 06:17:51 PM »
Thanks so much for replying! :wave: I'll try to post a picture so you can see the symptoms. :fishy1:

After a while the blue stripe did turn yellowish,
I don't see a black lining I don't think,
Maybe they get a lump on the belly,
And the bent spine and leaving the school,
They also become very emaciated.

That's nice to know it's not contagious to other species, I was worried about my betta and BN pleco! Especially since the betta ate the eyes out of the dead ones....  :vcross:

Offline Fiddlefish

• Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 06:26:42 PM »

It's not the best picture, but here it is!

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 07:31:15 PM »
The fish doesn't look very well, does it. Not all the symptoms will necessarily be present, but NTD will have several of them if not all. I would be inclined to act for the worst case scenario and assume it is NTD. If you put the affected fish down, the others might be safe.

Buy some clove oil, an old fashioned toothache remedy sold at the chemist shop. It comes in little bottles, perhaps inside a cardboard box. Next you will need a tub and a bottle/jar with a tight lid. Choose carefully as you won't be able to use them again. Put some tank water in the tub and place the fish in the water. Put 20 to 30 drops of clove oil in the bottle/jar (the amount depends on how big the tub is), add a bit of cold water and shake until the oil emulsifies. Pour the oil/water mix into the tub with the fish. Leave for a few hours. Clove oil knocks the fish out before killing it and if you remove it too soon, it could wake up. Waiting a few hours will ensure the fish is dead. Throw it in the bin or bury it if you can't face the bin option.
Clove oil stinks. You might want to use use rubber gloves.

Offline Fiddlefish

• Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 07:44:17 PM »
 :yikes: I don't know if I can do that!! :yikes:

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 07:53:09 PM »
That is the method that most people find easiest. The other methods are much worse for the fishkeeper  :(
Is there anyone who could do it for you?

If it is NTD, you could end up losing them all if you don't remove infected fish.......

Offline Fiddlefish

• Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 08:14:29 PM »
No one except maybe my fish store.  :-\ Should I quarantine it until I decide?  :fishy1:

Offline Digs1923

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 09:05:09 PM »
It's not easy - and definitely makes you feel like a murderer!!  I know because I've just had to do it tonight to one of my Black Widow tetras who was really quite poorly (although I'm not sure with what - possibly dropsy).  The thing that made me feel better was thinking about saving the other fish from a similar disease and also the sick fish was obviously unhappy and probably suffering.  Using the clove oil is very humane and my poor fishy just "went to sleep" and hopefully didn't feel a thing  :(   :-\   Still feel bad though....

Hope you manage to do the deed (or get someone else to do it) and the rest of your fish are fine  :)

Liz

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Black Widow Tetra (4) - Glowlight Tetra (7) - Cardinal Tetra (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Fiddlefish

• Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 10:48:57 PM »
It's not easy - and definitely makes you feel like a murderer!!  I know because I've just had to do it tonight to one of my Black Widow tetras who was really quite poorly (although I'm not sure with what - possibly dropsy).  The thing that made me feel better was thinking about saving the other fish from a similar disease and also the sick fish was obviously unhappy and probably suffering.  Using the clove oil is very humane and my poor fishy just "went to sleep" and hopefully didn't feel a thing  :(   :-\   Still feel bad though....

Hope you manage to do the deed (or get someone else to do it) and the rest of your fish are fine  :)

Liz

Thank you! ;D Maybe I'll ask someone at my fish store to do it. :fishy1:

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "tetras dropping like flies"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post May 27, 2013, 09:25:53 AM
by Sue
11 Replies
Last post May 30, 2013, 05:12:51 PM
by notungz
17 Replies
Last post July 04, 2013, 09:59:36 AM
by Andy M
4 Replies
Last post September 07, 2013, 04:20:15 PM
by Resa
2 Replies
Last post January 10, 2015, 08:15:32 PM
by fcmf
3 Replies
Last post July 04, 2015, 10:04:41 AM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post March 19, 2016, 11:31:29 AM
by Fiona

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: