Author Topic: Guppy with white stringy poo  (Read 10113 times) 14 replies

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Guppy with white stringy poo
« on: January 21, 2018, 06:03:03 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Help i have one guppy with white poo and i can't decide if it's a parasite or not. I have him in a quarantine tank at the moment and from the picture i have taken he has a bent spine' but he is eating his food ok.

I read in another post on here it could be constipation and to feed him live daphnia which i have not got. I do have some tetra delica daphnia which i fed him and he has eaten that.

If it is a parasite would waterlife myxazin cure him. 

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Cherry Barb (6) - Neon Tetra (7) - Harlequin Rasbora (11) - Honey Gourami (2) - Guppy (male) (3) - Otocinclus (5) - Japonica Shrimp (8) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
Re: Guppy with white stringy poo
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 06:52:46 PM »
Constipation can also be helped with peas.
Cook the peas, remove the skin, then chop/crush/squash the pea until it's pretty much a paste, then feed a small amount to your guppy.

Is your guppy poo normally white? Perhaps best to see what the more experienced keepers say before considering medication.

Offline Sue

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 07:05:34 PM »
It could be constipation or just that it ate rather a lot of food just before this appeared. Guppies are prone to camallanus worms but they don't look like this - they are red bristles like a child's paintbrush protruding from the anus when the fish stops swimming for a moment. If you don't see anything like that it probably isn't an intestinal parasite.

Apart from constipation, there is a chance it could be an infection. Fish can get intestinal bacterial, viral and protozoan infections but there are usually other symptoms as well. If the fish is behaving normally and eating well, I'd try peas before medication.

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 07:16:45 PM »
Thanks Sue & Littlefish that sounds a bit more encouraging then. but he is swimming a bit odd like floating mid water with a bent spine and then he rests on the bottom for a while but upright not on his side.

Do you think the bent spine could be pain ?

Cherry Barb (6) - Neon Tetra (7) - Harlequin Rasbora (11) - Honey Gourami (2) - Guppy (male) (3) - Otocinclus (5) - Japonica Shrimp (8) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 07:20:28 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
White stringy poo, especially if it's on the thin side, is often a sign of Capillaria, another intestinal worm. You might want to try an anthelminthic (anti-worm). I use Sterazin.

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 07:30:44 PM »
Thank you hampalong i think i will get some of that tomorrow as this will be handy to keep. The poo is not that thin it's quite thick but long and string like. I think tonight i will try some peas if that don't work or he gets worse then i will use what you recommended.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2018, 07:36:25 PM »
Is the bent spine a very recent thing?
I've been having a quick look around and a bent spine could be a symptom of gram-positive bacteria, commonly known as fish TB. I've not seen this in any of my fish, so I'm just going on information I've found.
Have you quarantined the fish? Do you have the facilities to?
Just throwing this out to see what the others think.

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2018, 07:37:16 PM »
Thank Hampalong, I had not come across that parasite before.  ** Goes to make a note of it in fish documents**

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2018, 07:42:00 PM »
@Littlefish he is only been like it for about 2 days now and yep he is in a tank on his own.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2018, 08:09:43 PM »
It's good that you have him in a quarantine tank.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2018, 08:22:26 PM »
I have no idea if this could be fish TB or not... but I do know that humans can catch fish TB... so until we rule it out I would not be putting your hands in the tank. 

The fact that the poo is a reasonable consistency yet white is certainly unusual. Peas certainly flush a fish through.. hopefully that will work before harder meds are required!! 

The swimmingnfunny could be a result of constipation or equally an infection pushing against the swim bladder.

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2018, 01:07:09 AM »
There are many diseases and endoparasites that can cause a bent spine so I wouldn't jump to a conclusion of tb, which is actually a very rare disease. Most cases that are thought to be tb aren't.

Genetic weakness can also cause spinal deformities, and fancy guppies aren't the strongest fish genetically.

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2018, 08:05:09 AM »
@Matt that is pretty darn scary so i have just invested in a long pair of rubber gloves off amazon.@ hampalong that's reassuring knowing it is rare as i was a bit concerned for a while, but i am glad matt told me as i was not aware of this.

I fed him pea's last night which he did happen to eat so we will see what happens from now. I have also ordered some sterazin that hampalong recommended just incase.

Offline Sue

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2018, 10:09:14 AM »
Don't be alarmed when the poo turns green  ;D

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2018, 05:46:29 PM »
I think hampalong could be right it's now longer and he is and gone thin and stringy and he is flashing and rubbing on the gravel. I think I am going to try this sterazin.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Guppy with white stringy poo"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
9 Replies
Last post May 16, 2014, 07:19:36 PM
by dbaggie
11 Replies
Last post October 23, 2014, 09:11:32 AM
by ColinB
5 Replies
Last post September 05, 2014, 04:36:50 PM
by FishCoop
6 Replies
Last post October 19, 2015, 11:16:36 AM
by Fiona
3 Replies
Last post November 23, 2015, 08:57:10 PM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post January 15, 2016, 09:38:32 PM
by fruitbat
79 Replies
Last post July 05, 2020, 07:16:51 PM
by Beckins

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: