Author Topic: Something wrong?  (Read 2814 times) 1 replies

Offline Colesr92

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Something wrong?
« on: April 15, 2015, 09:29:19 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi.

I have noticed some of my fish seeming lethargic at times lately. The issue has been that it is only some of the fish which seem to be acting strangely... My smaller of my two red honey seems to be hiding along the bottom of the tank more and two of my ember tetras have been hovering in the Java fern. I have also lost two guppies recently, however, I think this is because of the fin rot they have had, so not sure if this is related.

With my red honey gourami, I am wondering if the larger of the two is attempting to bubble nest, but is unable to due to the lack of floating plants in my tank or whether it is ill for some reason. The ember tetras behaving differently has made me worry that this may be a disease/stress related issue. There is no discolouration in the fish or anything physically wrong with them, and they seem to be feeding fine and are quite active during feeding time (like magnets to the top of the tank!). As for the guppies, I haven't been able to treat them or anything as my tank currently has bamboo shrimp in, which are sensitive to fish medicines and my spare tank is currently housing some zebra danio who were too stressful for my honey gourami to handle.

I have no idea what is going on and everything with the tank seems fine at the minute and have been stable since the tank was set up. I have recently had to remove some Lysimachia from the tank and have replaced it with a mixture of Echinodorus and Java Fern (starting rotting from the roots and letting loose from the substrate). Not sure whether any of this has been an issue, but am at wits end! Have also started using liquid CO2 to as fertiliser for the plants.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Otocinclus (6) - Japonica Shrimp (6) - Silver Tip Tetra (12) - Cardinal Tetra (10) - Cherry Barb (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Something wrong?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 04:21:54 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
If the gouramis and embers are feeding, there is not too much wrong with them. Fish tend to go off their food when they are seriously ill.

Does the gourami hide more when the lights are on? They are fish that likes a shaded tank and without floating plants the upper regions of the tank may be too bright. I never noticed that behaviour when I had honey gouramis but then I only had T8 fluorescent tubes.

As for the embers, it might be just something those individuals do. Have you any idea of the gender of the two fish? Males tend to be more streamlined than females which have deeper bodies.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Something wrong?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post October 02, 2015, 07:41:49 AM
by Dylan5084
17 Replies
Last post January 21, 2018, 04:17:28 PM
by Littlefish
10 Replies
Last post February 26, 2018, 07:03:39 PM
by fcmf
17 Replies
Last post October 08, 2019, 04:20:29 PM
by fcmf
22 Replies
Last post March 05, 2020, 09:01:12 PM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post February 20, 2020, 04:28:11 PM
by Sue
38 Replies
Last post February 18, 2021, 11:27:50 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: