Author Topic: Sick platy? Internal parasite?  (Read 14394 times) 13 replies

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
Sick platy? Internal parasite?
« on: January 15, 2015, 09:22:18 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi all,
So I have a couple of problems I'd love some advice on. I have noticed one of my platies exhibiting very different behavior. I put part of this down to him probably not being a platy at all and secondly a possible internal parasite.

I bought the 'platy' from P@H about 3-4 months ago and was one of my first fish. He was introduced with two other platies (definitely platies!) and always looked a little different. He was more slender and his dorsal fin was set further back. I'm pretty sure he is in fact mostly swordtail. Over time he was appeared more gaunt and his poo is white and stringy. I believe this is a classic sign of an internal parasite.

I regularly check my water parameters and NH3 and NO2 always read 0 and my NO3 has never been above 25 and usually around 10. However, I still feel he could be stressed. When I first added him to the tank, he was the dominant fish. Regularly chasing the other two. I later added another platy, not realizing he was almost twice the size of the others in my tank until I brought him home. He is now definitely the dominant fish in the tank, regularly chasing my sick swordtail and my sunset platy, though he's very fond of my blue platy.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to get a clear pic of him. However the questions I have are:
1. Is there a clear tell tale sign whether he is a platy or a swordtail? I think he may be too young to develop the sword.

2. What is the best course of treatment? I have inherited a bottle of Interpret No 9 Anti Internal Bacteria but have read it's pretty heavy handed. Should I remove the sick fish to my QT and treat there, or add the medication to my tank?

Thanks for any help! 

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
Re: Sick platy? Internal parasite?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 10:03:09 PM »
Hiya!

Sounds like worms! I would treat the whole tank as they may all gave it but be at varying degrees of infestation.

Try this link and see if it helps you identify your mystery fish!!!

FC76

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 10:25:33 PM »
Thanks FC!

I have a planned water change for Saturday which I'll push forward to tomorrow and add the treatment. Cross fingers it will clear up any issues. Fortunately the rest of the tank look very healthy.

Keep your fingers crossed for the little fella!

Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 10:27:18 PM »
Thanks for the link too! He's definitely longer and more slender than the other platies, so I'm pretty certain he's mostly swordtail. Hoping his tail will develop once the worms are gone!

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 09:29:56 AM »
Camallanus worms are the most commonly seen worm. I know quite a bit about them now as some of my fish have had them.
The obvious sign is small red things sticking out of the anus, a bit like the bristles on a child's paintbrush. But the fish are infected before you see those. They show when the fish is motionless but disappear back inside when the fish moves. The fish's anus is also red.
The female worm lays eggs by hanging out of the fish's anus. They hatch and wave around attracting very tiny crustaceans, which eat them. The fish then eat the crustaceans. It takes around a month for the worms to mature inside the fish's intestines and for the females to become old enough to lay eggs themselves - which is when we can see them.

If you are sure you have these worms, you can try to medicate though it might not work. Kusuri Wormer Plus and Sera Nematol are the two I've heard of.

My Nannacara are currently infected. They are in my QT and have had two doses of wormer plus, 4 days apart as recommended for heavy infestations. They both still have worms three days after dose #2.
I have also dosed the main tank even though I don't see signs of worms in the other fish. This makes the tank a nerite-free zone for several months to come  :(

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 07:42:59 PM »
Thanks for the advice Sue and sorry to hear about your infestation.

Ive been checking all day and I can't see any sign of worms. Do you think the fish might just be stressed by the larger platy? Though I guess that wouldn't account for the stringy poo. Guess I'll have to treat as you said and find my invertebrates a temporary home.  :(

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 09:13:33 PM »
Hi Sue,

Couldn't find the meds you recommended in my local MA, so picked up some Aqua Munster Argumor which contains Diflubenzuron and is supposed to treat worms and flukes.

Do you have any experience with this product/ingredient. How long to fish take to show signs of recovery? The little fella is eating fine now, but it very thin and hangs around the top of the tank a lot. Will there be any obvious signs that he's on the mend?

Thanks!

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 10:03:08 AM »
I got the wormer plus on Ebay and I think I got the last bottle of Sera Nematol in the UK! All the sellers on Ebay and Amazon now are in Germany, and I haven't come across any on-line shops stocking it.

Most of these meds work by paralysing the worms rather than killing them. The idea is that the worms let go of the intestines and come out by natural means. It helps to give the fish something to 'clear them out' after treatment, eg peas. Then hoover the tank very thoroughly to get rid of the worms. Wormer plus says to treat 4 days later for heavy infestations, Nematol says to treat after 3 weeks to get the worms that hatch from the impervious eggs in the tank at the time of the first treatment.
I have treated 3 times now with wormer plus at 4 day intervals. It is supposed to biodegrade in 4 days so by the time the nematol arrives it will be OK to add that. I'm not taking any chances with my remaining fish  :-\
Most of my fish are small and dash around. Because the worms only protrude when the fish is motionless they are hard to see. I am keeping a close eye on my female honey gourami as these fish do hover in the water quite a lot - so far no sign of worms. Fingers crossed.

The only sign of a fish that has been cured of worms is not seeing the worms! It is possible your platy has an internal bacterial infection as that too causes weight loss and stringy poo. And like for worms, there aren't many meds available in the UK that treat it. I only know of 2 - Interpet aniti-internal bacteria and eSHa 2000, but neither of them is particularly strong.

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 08:09:25 PM »
Thanks Sue.

I'm on day 3 with the Aqua Munster Argumor and the 'platy' seems much happier, though this could be because I have left the lights off in the aquarium since treating. I never actually saw worms, but it sounds like it might be quite difficult. I'll turn the lights back on after a full week of the treatment and see how he is. If he's still not right I think I'll give the Anti-Internal Bacteria a go as I have some of that. If I still have no joy I guess Wormer+ is my last hope!

Hope your treatment goes well!

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 10:09:38 PM »
Just to update. I have treated the main tank with Aqua Munster Argumor and Intrepid Anti Internal Bacteria (2 doses of each as recommended). Unfortunately my sick platy still has clear faeces and hasn't put on any weight. Shortly after treatment he did have a couple of normal poops, but now they are completely clear and stringy again. I notice he is getting harassed by the other platy in the tank, and is now a lot smaller than the others. Could this stress be making the issue return? I have no idea what to do!

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 10:29:59 PM »
This probably doesn't alter the situation but I recall that my goldfish used to have white, stringy faeces interspersed with normal ones after having been treated with either aquarium salt or with Interpet's Anti-Internal Bacterial treatment.

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2015, 02:06:15 PM »
So 4 months after my initial post, my poorly platy started to put on a bit of weight. I'd popped him back in the main tank after 4 weeks in the QT. He still didn't seem right but was not obviously ill anymore, apart from being very slim.

I was delighted yesterday to notice he was looking much fatter and eating well. That was until this morning when he'd puffed up like a wotsit and his scales were poking out. A quick google confirmed dropsy. This poor little guy really has been through the ringer. When I first saw him I decided enough was enough and I was going to put him out of his misery, however I've had a change of heart and popped him back in the QT with a dose of salt and interpret no. 9.

Am I being cruel making him suffer through this as I've heard the chances are slim at this point? It'll more than likely come back in a bit even if he recovers. Any advice?

Offline Sue

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2015, 02:28:13 PM »
I have to confess that whenever I've had a fish with dropsy, I've put it down. Luckily that has not been very often. It's trying to work out what the underlying disease is that's the problem.

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2015, 03:55:36 PM »
To be honest Sue I think it is the most humane thing to do. I've treated for worms and internal parasites but neither seemed to help. The poor guy has been bullied relentlessly by a larger tuxedo platy ever since being introduced to the tank. This may be because of disease or just being a weak fish. I think I'll go and buy some clove oil    :(

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Sick platy? Internal parasite?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post October 10, 2012, 09:38:47 PM
by Mark64
3 Replies
Last post June 19, 2013, 02:29:44 PM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post October 27, 2014, 07:20:02 PM
by Wild Rover
9 Replies
Last post July 11, 2016, 10:48:20 AM
by ColinB
0 Replies
Last post May 21, 2015, 08:02:10 PM
by Extreme_One
10 Replies
Last post November 24, 2016, 09:30:40 PM
by fcmf
3 Replies
Last post June 08, 2019, 09:17:22 AM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: