• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Call me Simon
Re: CPD thin and strange behavior
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2015, 08:22:51 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Indeed, it doesn't look good. :(

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Barney626

• Fishy Member
  • Blue Rams - Never Again...
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2015, 07:05:36 PM »
The 'ill' CPD has now disappeared and is not residing in its usual spot at the surface. I assume it is now acting as fertilizer.

I just hope it was due to a bad batch rather than disease or the 9 new CPD's I am getting on Sunday wont last very long...

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2015, 07:32:17 PM »
Sorry to hear the little CPD didn't make it.

Don't you quarantine new fish before adding to the main tank?

http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/article/isolation-hospital-or-quarantine-fishtanks-for-your-fish

I set up a 20L QT tank for about £40.

It's packed away dry when not needed and the filter sits in my main tank adding extra flow for plant nutrients until it's needed, so the bacteria remains healthy.

Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Barney626

• Fishy Member
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2015, 07:28:04 PM »
Well in a bizarre turn of fate, I have just returned home from a 2 day trip to find the previously Dead CPD swimming around perfectly normally... Still a bit thin but now swimming around in the plants rather than at the surface.

How strange...

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2015, 08:39:13 PM »
Strange indeed but good news nonetheless. Hope you can get him/her feeding?  :cheers:

What sex is it BTW ?

Offline Barney626

• Fishy Member
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2015, 08:49:54 PM »
Difficult to tell, I think it is a male.
After observing it for a bit longer it still seems to prefer to stay near the surface, but is more willing to go deeper when a finger appears near it, whereas before it would just ignore it.

Still seems to be uninterested in food dropped in. I can only assume it is surviving off scraps at the bottom of the tank... Possibly due to the competition from the 4 minnows which regularly come to the surface for food.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2015, 10:42:20 PM »
I guess a poorly male could look like a female so I can understand why it would be difficult to sex.

Do you have a small tank you can set up as a quarantine tank?

I wonder if you could transfer sick CPD into a QT tank and add Liquifry No 1 to see if it might start eating infusoria to begin to build up an appetite for bigger things.

I know it sounds a bit odd but it must get hungry, perhaps it's just a case of trying to find something it will eat to get on the road to recovery.
I'm just thinking that maybe the fishy equivalent of baby food will kickstart something.

Sorry if it sounds like a stupid idea.

Offline Barney626

• Fishy Member
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2015, 10:44:26 PM »
I do have an unused tank but it doesn't have a heater or filter, a combination of which will cost a lot more than this single fish. And as this isn't a particularly prized fish as it was always slightly weaker I don't think it would be worth the effort.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2015, 11:25:44 PM »
I do have an unused tank but it doesn't have a heater or filter, a combination of which will cost a lot more than this single fish. And as this isn't a particularly prized fish as it was always slightly weaker I don't think it would be worth the effort.

I understand completely.

Something to consider for the future:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CNVDMUE <- cheap 50w heater @ £7.95 + Free UK delivery
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00A4AZH3Q <- cheap micro filter @ £13.94 + Free UK delivery

These are the parts I use in my QT tank for quarantining new fish for a fortnight before introducing the new fish to the main tank.
Apart from that, it's ready to be set up as a hospital tank too if needed.

I just keep the micro filter running in the main tank permanently, in addition to the main filter, at the opposite end to aid water flow, so that it has a healthy bacterial colony in readiness for when I need it.

The rest of the kit, the tank, the heater, the half plant pot and the fake plants are stored dry until I need them.

Just a suggestion, as you already have a tank, an extra £22 will give you the quarantine tank / hospital tank that might come in handy in future.

Offline Barney626

• Fishy Member
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2015, 05:39:06 PM »
Unfortunately, when I returned from getting 7 new CPD's the 'ill' CPD was lying in moss not moving, I netted it and it was still not moving. So I ice+clove oiled it to make sure. oh well, the new CPD's seem to be much more active now they are in a group of 8...

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2015, 09:21:01 PM »
So I ice+clove oiled it to make sure.

Just for future reference  :) in such a scenario, from what I've read, I think the ice is probably best left out. Hopefully the remainder of your CPDs will get on swimmingly, though.  :fishy1:

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2015, 10:59:21 PM »
I have a CPD in my tank that looks just like your poorly one, I've had it for months now and its grown larger but has stayed that same weird concave shape, other then that its happy as Larry. If the guy in my MA hadn't told me it's supposedly wild caught, I'd be inclined to think it was deformed through in-breeding... would the suppliers lie to MA?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2015, 09:28:16 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if a shop's supplier didn't know and made something up  :-\ But wild caught fish aren't immune from deformities, they are just less likely to be caused by inbreeding. There was just something about the photo of Barney's cpd that said to me developmental problems rather than sickness.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2015, 01:06:36 AM »
I'll try a get a photo of my one. They could be twins!

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "CPD thin and strange behavior "

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
0 Replies
Last post January 18, 2013, 03:43:00 PM
by Mervyn
1 Replies
Last post June 07, 2013, 09:30:54 AM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post June 01, 2014, 11:44:33 AM
by jenpink
3 Replies
Last post June 09, 2014, 09:47:15 PM
by jesnon
10 Replies
Last post November 01, 2014, 04:51:08 PM
by biffster
3 Replies
Last post June 30, 2017, 09:46:05 PM
by MarquisMirage
18 Replies
Last post March 17, 2019, 04:57:09 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: