Red Fin Tetras Won't Stop Breeding!

Author Topic: Red fin tetras won't stop breeding!  (Read 3859 times) 6 replies

Offline Somethingfishy

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Red fin tetras won't stop breeding!
« on: August 20, 2016, 11:52:26 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
So a few months (6ish) back I brought 10 columbian red fin tetras to  encourage the 9 very shy cardinals I  had. Worked a treat and the cardinals aren't as shy and come out all the time now. Only problem is the red fins can be a little nippy with each other so I figure give it 5or 6 years and we can replace them with something more peaceful.  Fast forward to last month and a 5mm fry is spotted, then every week we have seen a new 3-5mm fry! The original is nearly as big as the cardinals. Ive caught the bigger ones in the act of spawning this week. Can i do anything to stop them?! I have a home for 7 of the large adult red fins, do you think my lfs will take the rest. They are starting to breed like guppies!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Assassin Snail (7) - Cardinal Tetra (11) - Panda Cory (5) - Harlequin Rasbora (7) - Otocinclus (3) - Lampeye Panchax (7) - Assassin Snail (3) - Harlequin Rasbora (6) - Cardinal Tetra (7) - Lampeye Panchax (5) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Re: Red fin tetras won't stop breeding!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 12:25:24 PM »
Congrats - you're obviously doing something very right to be so successful with the fish breeding. :)  You could advertise fish in your local section (county) of www.aquarist-classifieds.co.uk to maximise the chances of them going to a good home.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 12:28:35 PM »
Sometimes nature blows rasperries at your plans.   :raspberries
I don't have any experience with these fish, so don't know if there is anything you can do to make them stop, but it is worth phoning your LFS and asking them if they will take your extra stock.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 12:32:43 PM »
Temperature might be a key thing, I've found if I up the temp in my shrimpery a little the pygmy cories will stop spawning.

There is a specific red fin tetra forum here http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/bloodfin-tetra/ they might be able to help you further

Offline Somethingfishy

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 01:33:20 PM »
Temperature might be a key thing, I've found if I up the temp in my shrimpery a little the pygmy cories will stop spawning.

There is a specific red fin tetra forum here http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/bloodfin-tetra/ they might be able to help you further

Hadn't thought of that,  id been experimenting with lowering the temp to 23c after having it around 25ish. I'll pop it back up and see if that calms them down.  Thanks for the link too

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Assassin Snail (7) - Cardinal Tetra (11) - Panda Cory (5) - Harlequin Rasbora (7) - Otocinclus (3) - Lampeye Panchax (7) - Assassin Snail (3) - Harlequin Rasbora (6) - Cardinal Tetra (7) - Lampeye Panchax (5) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 06:00:41 PM »
I haven't had my blood fin tetra for long, I have a group of 10, and no mating so far. They have had their tank disturbed (almost totally trashed) when I removed the young bristle nose after a bit of an issue with the tetra nipping him. I haven't replanted the tank properly again yet, due to a lack of empty tanks to put the fish into whilst I replant, so although mine seem quite comfortable, perhaps the tank isn't set up in a way that makes them comfortable enough for them to mate.
Their tank is around 25C.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2016, 08:07:14 PM »
They're quite a hardy, easy to keep fish which are ideal for beginners (I've been swatting up  :afro ) It may just be that they're so easy to keep they spawn like mad but I guess you'll find out shortly :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Red fin tetras won't stop breeding! "

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post April 11, 2013, 03:03:18 PM
by Angelfish
2 Replies
Last post April 15, 2013, 12:40:57 PM
by Angelfish
11 Replies
Last post May 30, 2013, 05:12:51 PM
by notungz
6 Replies
Last post October 19, 2013, 09:56:50 PM
by Cinders
2 Replies
Last post June 15, 2014, 08:38:33 PM
by Robert
15 Replies
Last post April 26, 2016, 09:27:04 PM
by fcmf
3 Replies
Last post December 12, 2017, 10:28:38 PM
by Cod_only_knows

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: