Ram Ill, Ok To Treat With Shrimp In Tank?

Author Topic: Ram ill, ok to treat with shrimp in tank?  (Read 7471 times) 10 replies

Offline Amlaikin

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Ram ill, ok to treat with shrimp in tank?
« on: September 26, 2014, 05:04:28 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Help! One if my Bolivian Rams has darkened in colour, swollen a bit, sat at bottom of tank, not eating and has white cotton wool fluff on one gill. Pets at home gave me interpet no.8 to treat it for fungus and fin rot. Other fish look fine. It says to treat whole tank but I have 3 wood shrimp and a snail in there. Nothing in the instructions about affecting them so will I be ok to leave them in?!?! Anybody done this?  Thanks!

Set up is 120l planted community tank. Water levels normal when checked this morning.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Ram ill, ok to treat with shrimp in tank?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 06:34:46 PM »
Medications usually say if they can't be used with something, so in theory it should be OK.

Do you have a hospital tank you could treat the fish in?

Offline Amlaikin

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 06:51:35 PM »
Thanks Sue. Unfortunately not and the instructions say to treat the whole tank to prevent spreading.  Fingers crossed for the shrimp, as you say it would surely say if there was a risk  :-\

Offline Amlaikin

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 08:32:43 AM »
She's dead this morning. That happened quick, I only noticed a change on Thursday night.

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 02:37:35 PM »
I'm sorry to hear that. Sometimes things like fungus or rot set in the fish is already sick and weakened.

How long had you had the fish? If you got it only recently, it could have been sick when you got it.

Offline Amlaikin

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 08:33:13 PM »
I've had a m/f pair for 4/5 months. My dwarf gourami occasionally chases them but not constantly. Not aware of anything else that could have made a difference? Good news is the meds haven't killed the shrimp!!! Maybe I should get another female once the meds have cleared the tank.

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 02:52:43 PM »
You need to be careful when introducing another fish with both Bolivian rams and 'ordinary' rams. Putting a male and female together doesn't guarantee they'll get on as they can be very picky about mates. Get another female by all means but keep an eye out for any signs of aggression.

Offline Amlaikin

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 06:58:18 PM »
Thanks Sue but now I have bigger problems!  :-\
Got home from work and the other Ram looks like he's going the same way and my dwarf gourami looks swollen too, possible dropsy? 

I introduced a large piece of bog wood two weeks ago that I had presoaked to remove tannins. I'm wondering if this has messed up my tank?

Not sure what to do with these two, I've read on web that if they've swollen up it's too late and it's kinder to end it quick. 

Not sure I can do that to Flash and Geoff  :(

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 07:43:30 PM »
What do they look like when viewed form above? Do their scales stick out like a pine cone? That is the point when treatment is usually too late. This is called dropsy, a symptom of underlying disease rather than a disease itself. The pineconing happens when the fish's kidneys fail and fluid builds up inside, that's the reason it is usually incurable.

If their scales are flat, you might be able to save them. You'd need a medication that treats internal bacteria, though we can't buy antibiotics without a vet's prescription so meds are limited. Try Interpet anti-internal bacteria or eSHa 2000.

Offline Amlaikin

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 08:52:13 PM »
Scales are still flat so I'll go get some of that tomorrow - back to original question if it would be ok with the shrimp?!?!  ???  They are both still feeding.

I've just done a water check and ammonia and nitrate were off the scale - first time that's happened. Wierd because on Friday before I did my change the levels were all fine. Wondering if the interpet medicine could have done it? Anyway I've done a 25% change.

Will keep monitoring, fingers crossed.

Thanks again Sue.

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 02:43:19 PM »
If the readings were off the scale, you need to do as many water changes as it takes to get them both below 0.25. That will likely remove just about all the medication so redose afterwards. Keep an eye on those levels and do more water changes if they start to go up again. Having them in the water will make the fish sick without any infections to cope with.
If you have to do a water change, do it just before adding a dose of medication. If it is a med that is not dosed every day and you need to do a water change on a non-dose day, add enough afterwards to replace the amount of med that is removed, eg a 25% water change, and 25% of the dose.

These medications are not supposed to affect the filter bacteria. In theory.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Ram ill, ok to treat with shrimp in tank?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post August 10, 2014, 09:26:52 AM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post September 20, 2014, 11:12:44 PM
by dbaggie
25 Replies
Last post March 04, 2015, 05:36:00 PM
by fishcake76
8 Replies
Last post May 06, 2015, 01:37:49 PM
by Fiona
4 Replies
Last post July 24, 2016, 12:32:23 PM
by Matt
2 Replies
Last post February 28, 2017, 03:17:38 PM
by Peterhill26
6 Replies
Last post December 30, 2017, 01:19:11 PM
by Rustle

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: