Wasting Away WCMMs (White Cloud Mountain Minnow)

Author Topic: Wasting away WCMMs (White Cloud Mountain Minnow)  (Read 11854 times) 9 replies

Offline Anne

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Wasting away WCMMs (White Cloud Mountain Minnow)
« on: November 15, 2015, 09:38:04 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi

10 months ago I bought 10 WCMMs (White Cloud Mountain Minnows) 5 golden and 5 normal.  For the first 6 months everything was OK then 1 died.  There were always a couple that seemed thinner than the rest and a bit mis-shaped, so I put its death down to failure to thrive. Since then I have lost 1 WCMM a month, a total of 3.  Always the same symtoms they get skinny, their head is the largest part and their body seems to bend.  If their tail is parallel to the surface then they are looking down.

I have tried putting them in the quarantine tank and giving them lots of different food to fatten them up, even dosed them with EsHa 2000 but with no success.  When the last one of the original mis-shaped fish died, I thought maybe it was due to intensive breeding.

Now one of my previously healthy normal shaped fish is coming down with the sme symptoms. 

I have had a look on line and the nearest thing I have found to match their symptoms is fish TB but that isn't meant to be contagious so not sure.

These are the only fish I have lost since setting up my tank and originally wasn't too concerned as I have read posts about how it is normal to loose a few fish and they were slightly different.

Any suggestions or thoughts.

Anne

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Wasting away WCMMs
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 10:36:44 AM »
Can I ask what the temperature of the tank is? WCMM prefer cooler temps that most tropical fish - Seriously Fish gives their range as 14 - 22oC. I know that commercially bred fish can cope with parameters outside those that the wild fish need, but temperature could be a factor in the deaths.

Other than that I don't know what to suggest. Fish TB is quite rare, though it is always possible.

They don't have anything protruding from the anus when not swimming, do they? Wasting sounds like an internal problem, be it bacterial, viral, protozoan or worms.

Offline Anne

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 09:27:59 PM »
Hi sue

My tank is kept at approximately 19-20 degrees.

I know what you mean about fish TB being rare but it was the only thing that seemed to fit most of the symptoms, my other thought was that it might just be old age but it seemed odd as they weren't that old.

When I checked the fish this morning one of the healthy WCMM did have what I can only describe as a white/cream blob protrusion out of its vent, I thought it was a prolapse.  When I checked tonight it had gone.

I feed them flakes (2 different types one more veggie based than the other) most of the time and live or frozen food once a week.

The thin ones do make an effort to come out at feeding time from their hiding place at the back of the tank but they don't seem to have the energy to actually eat anything.  They also swim in a jerky motion, it's hard to tell if their fins are clamped.

I am at a lost at what to do next and am not looking forward to watching them taking it in turns to wast away and die.

The other fish in the tank are fine, peppered Corey's and platies, though I have permenantly moved one of the female platy to another tank with harder water as she wasn't coping too well with the soft water.

Anne

Offline Anne

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 08:16:34 PM »
Hi

Update, I have decided to move all the WCMMs to the quarantine tank but set it up more like a normal tank with gravel and plants attached to decor so they will feel less stressed as I think they are going to be in there for awhile.

This also means that I will be able to treat them with meds (if there are any suitable ones) as I have shrimp and Cories which I understand can be sensitive to some meds.

Anne

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 09:21:49 PM »
Shrimps can be very sensitive.

Try eSHa 2000 or Waterlife's myxazin.

Offline Anne

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 09:01:36 PM »
Hi

Just thought I'd update you on my WCMMs.

Once I moved them into the quarantine tank things went down hill pretty quickly.  Within a month I lost a further 6, all with the same wasting symptoms.  It wasn't much fun for a while checking the tank each morning and night for the next casualty.

One has survived, so I have decided to return it to the main tank as he has been on his own for 3.5 weeks and has never shown any symptoms.

All the fish in the main tank are fine and were never affected by the mysterious disease so hopefully all will be OK and I am not re-introducing a plague carrying fish version of Typhoid Mary. 

I'll let you know how he settles back into the main tank after being in isolation for what must seem like ages for a little shoaling fish. 

Anne

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 10:38:56 PM »
Aw Anne, that's really sad for you.

I know how distressing it can be watching your fish die one after the other. The first six I ever bought were endlers and they were all infected with something from the shop which they admitted so they replaced the fish. Over the course of the few days I had them I had to watch them die one after the other and there was nothing I could do.

I really feel for you (and the poor lonely survivor)

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 11:00:05 PM »
Thanks for the update, Anne, and very sorry to read of this. I can only empathise, having witnessed my pygmy cories succumb one by one over the summer. It's very clear that you tried everything you possibly could have, so I hope that is of some small consolation. Hope the single one fares well back in the main tank - and ideally thrives.

Offline Anne

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 09:07:32 PM »
Thanks Sanjo and fcmf.

He's been in the main tank for 2 days now and is doing fine, he coloured more or less straight away when I put him in.

He has decided to join the glowlight danio group but unfortunately they aren't communicating very well.  He keeps swimming along side them displaying, which they of course don't understand.  The danios keep trying to show him his place in the group by nipping him which he doesn't understand.  Other than that they are getting on well.

Anne

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Re: Wasting away WCMMs (White Cloud Mountain Minnow)
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2016, 01:46:53 PM »
I have glowlight danios in with my wcmm and they do shoal together with only the occasional bit of pushing and shoving so hopefully after a while they'll settle down together.

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Wasting away WCMMs (White Cloud Mountain Minnow)"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post June 20, 2013, 09:27:09 PM
by Gaynor
7 Replies
Last post August 19, 2013, 10:16:49 AM
by Cinders
5 Replies
Last post November 29, 2014, 12:13:18 PM
by Aquamaid
6 Replies
Last post November 16, 2015, 08:41:21 PM
by fcmf
21 Replies
Last post June 19, 2016, 07:07:11 AM
by Richard W
27 Replies
Last post August 22, 2016, 10:11:02 PM
by Littlefish
11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2020, 08:11:12 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: