Poorly Tetra?

Author Topic: Poorly tetra?  (Read 4754 times) 9 replies

Offline Natasha

• Fishy Member
Poorly tetra?
« on: January 26, 2014, 11:19:37 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hey guys,

I'm in need of your expert advice ;) one of my silvertip tetra went "missing" for a few days and when it re-emerged yesterday it had what looks like a little cut or something underneath/by its mouth. This particular tetra is always on it's own rather than with the rest of the shoal and I noticed it didn't come up to feed this evening when the rest of them did. It's also noticeably smaller than the other silvertip tetra, although this may be just because I was looking just after they had fed and it hadn't eaten.

Any ideas/ suggestions will be appreciated,

Tasha x

I'll put a few photos up in following posts

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Lake Tebera Rainbowfish (4) - Celebes Rainbow (4) - Panda Cory (4) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (4) - Glass Bloodfin (6) - Lemon Tetra (6) - Platy (6) - Zebra Danio (6) - Glowlight Danio (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Natasha

• Fishy Member
Re: Poorly tetra?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 11:24:42 PM »
More photos

Lake Tebera Rainbowfish (4) - Celebes Rainbow (4) - Panda Cory (4) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (4) - Glass Bloodfin (6) - Lemon Tetra (6) - Platy (6) - Zebra Danio (6) - Glowlight Danio (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Natasha

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 11:25:50 PM »
More photos. Sorry for the rubbish quality.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 08:23:58 AM »
It's a bit difficult to see if it is physical damage or mouthrot. With physical damage (eg caught itself on some decor) the main thing is to prevent the wound becoming infected. The best way for this is lots of extra clean water so either a hospital tank with daily water changes or larger, more frequent changes on the main tank.

If it is mouthrot, the 'lips' of the fish will be eroded and disappearing. This needs an anti-mouthrot medication (usually combined with finrot) and again a hospital is the best place to treat if you have one.

Offline Natasha

• Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 02:54:16 PM »
Thanks Sue, I only have the one tank and there isn't any room to get another small one so I'll need to treat it in the current tank. So did you say the best thing to do is just to keep the water really clean?

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 04:03:03 PM »
Yes, for uninfected injuries clean water is best as that helps stop bugs getting into the wound - like washing your hands to keep a cut clean. You only need a medication if an infection gets in. Look for fuzziness in the wound, or signs of flesh going red or disappearing.

Offline Natasha

• Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 04:09:13 PM »
Thank Sue, it has a red "gap" almost in its jaw and from the other things I read in the articles section on here it sounds/looks like mouth rot that the tetra has. Can you recommend any particular product?

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 04:21:45 PM »
For mouthrot, my preferred med is eSHa 2000. Or Myxazin by Waterlife.

Offline Natasha

• Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 04:46:14 PM »
Thank you for your help Sue, unfortunately when I fed the fish this morning and looked into the tank I found that the poorly tetra was dead  :'(

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 07:12:17 PM »
I'm sorry to hear that. Sometimes there is just nothing we can do.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Poorly tetra?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post January 15, 2013, 08:26:58 AM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post January 21, 2013, 05:35:03 PM
by jmr1969
21 Replies
Last post August 22, 2013, 11:15:26 AM
by Resa
15 Replies
Last post January 14, 2017, 04:24:32 PM
by fish-friends
3 Replies
Last post April 13, 2018, 09:05:03 PM
by Littlefish
6 Replies
Last post October 17, 2019, 07:46:44 PM
by Matt
6 Replies
Last post September 28, 2020, 06:47:37 PM
by Beckins

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: