Poorly Platy ?

Author Topic: Poorly Platy ?  (Read 5375 times) 6 replies

Offline Cinders

• Fishy Member
Poorly Platy ?
« on: February 24, 2014, 11:32:17 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
One of my female Platy's is swimming around on its side, and resting with head down, but seems full of life and eating well.   Should I be worried about this ?    I have fed them some peas in case it is a bowel problem.  This has been going on for about a week.    Is it something that is likely to spread to other fish ?   I don't have an isolation tank at the moment.  Any advice very welcome.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Poorly Platy ?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 12:33:35 PM »
It is always tricky knowing what is wrong with fish. Swimming funny is often a swim bladder problem and this can be due to anything from overeating to an infection or parasites. The fact that your platy is behaving normally otherwise suggests nothing serious.
She's not about to give birth is she? How much do you feed and does this fish grab more than her fair share?

In the absence of other symptoms, I would just monitor her for now. Things to look for - clamped fins, raged fins, not eating then getting emaciated.

Offline Cinders

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 01:06:54 PM »
Hello Sue, and thank you.   I do feed them twice a day, just a pinch, but there are several other fish in the tank too.    They always seem hungry.   She is not pregnant as no males in there.   But they have started to nibble at the plants now, which makes me wonder if I am feeding them enough.  I will just keep an eye on her for now then, thanks

Offline Resa

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 01:37:20 PM »
Hi Cinders,

Sorry to hear about your platy :( I hope she soon perks up. Just a thought....how long have you had her? I only ask as you say she can't be pregnant as you have no males, but if you haven't had her long she could have arrived pregnant....I know, I know... that may sound a bit mad, but they're prolific little devils ;)
Going from my experience of platies, they are ALWAYS hungry. I feed mine once a day and have a non feed day once or twice a week. My tank has masses of planting and they're often to be found having a nibble at it....just natural behaviour, I assume. ???

Anyway, someone will know for sure :)

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 02:00:26 PM »
And of course platies can store sperm and have babies every month for up to six months after last having contact with a male. Signs that a livebearer is soon to give birth: getting very fat and almost square when viewed from the side, going off on their own, getting grumpy with other fish, swimming/sitting in one place and looking like they are panting.

The fact that she is always hungry is not a bad sign. Very sick fish usually go off their food.

Offline Cinders

• Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 02:21:32 PM »
Hi Resa,      I have had her about eight months, and she was pregnant when I got her, and had babies every month, but hasn't had any now for two months at least.   I know they can store sperm, but I think she has finished that now.    I think it might be an idea to withhold food for a day now and again, but she looks quite slim.  Thanks for taking an interest Resa, appreciated.

Thanks again Sue.

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 02:26:57 PM »
At 8 months without a male, she won't be having any further fry, so that can be ruled out as a cause  ;D

Tags: platy fish health 

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Poorly Platy ?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
7 Replies
Last post May 06, 2014, 10:24:52 AM
by chris213
5 Replies
Last post August 13, 2014, 11:04:41 AM
by Loubaa
8 Replies
Last post November 17, 2014, 04:55:40 PM
by Loubaa
14 Replies
Last post October 08, 2016, 02:19:37 PM
by Sue
15 Replies
Last post January 14, 2017, 04:24:32 PM
by fish-friends
3 Replies
Last post April 13, 2018, 09:05:03 PM
by Littlefish
6 Replies
Last post September 28, 2020, 06:47:37 PM
by Beckins

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: