Poorly Phantom

Author Topic: Poorly phantom  (Read 8440 times) 22 replies

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
Poorly phantom
« on: October 10, 2014, 09:13:38 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi all,

This morning I discovered one of my female phantoms  floating at the top of the tank, gasping. I quickly checked my water parameters and my ph, kh and gh were all much higher than usual.

Normal reading:

PH - 6.8/7
GH - 17gd
KH - 3/6gd

Todays readings:

PH -7.6/8
GH - 21+gd
KH- 10gd

I replaced 6 litres of tank water, 2 at a time and then waiting half an hour for the tank to settle with RO water to bring the ph, gh and kh down. The ph and gh went back to normal but the kh is still reading 10.

She is now swimming about again, albeit struggling to stay up right and occasionally floating back to the surface  and her anal fin looks to be cloudy around the edges. I've taken a (very sad - please forgive me if you find this in bad taste.) photo of her in case any of you can see something i'm missing.

EDIT : she is now floating upside down. I have decided to euthanise her.

So, bizarre things or relevant factors i've noticed apart from dying fish and water test results.

Film on waters surface- this was here before the water change and formed again afterwards, it  disappears if the water is disturbed.
Full tank clean two days ago
Last time i did a water change one of female phantoms died two days later.

Can't understand whats going on!!!

Any ideas???

FC76

Offline jesnon

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Poorly phantom
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 09:24:53 AM »
I'm sorry you had to make the tough decision to euthenase :-( I'm sure others will suggest something helpful but since it seems to be occurring around water changes I would ask...

How do you do your water changes? You mention RO water so how many parts to normal tap water etc? And are your readings normally consistent?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 09:42:25 AM »
This tank clean and the last were a case of removing everything except fish, siphoning gravel, replacing water and ornaments.

This time i also cleaned the filter in tank water and gave the ornaments a scrub because i wanted to move some to my bettas tank. I scrubbed everything, including the bog wood as this has what i think are snails eggs on and rinsed with tap water, my logic being that as i was going to refill with tap water it would make no difference. Perhaps this had an effect on the water quality??

I always add some quick start according to bottles instructions and some esha optima at water changes too.

I don't normally use RO water in the big tank and just refill with tap water as this has always given me consistent readings. i only added the RO water today because of the high PH, GH and KH.

All the other fish are fine, in fact since the water change the glowlights have started spawning again!!! They've been doing this a lot recently!!

FC76

Offline ColinB

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 09:59:47 AM »
Did you test for Ammonia and Nitrite?

Did you use a de-chlorinator in the tap water?

With all that cleaning, scrubbing and syphoning you could've removed too many of the good bugglies and you had an ammonia spike. This would be even more likely if you used untreated tap-water in your cleaning.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 12:11:07 PM »
Hi,
I've now had to euthanise another female phantom with exactly the same symptoms. Her tail and he anal fin also looked ragged and cloudy. Could it be fin rot??? The minnows were terrible fin nippers and did their share of damage whilst in the tank.

Ammonia 0 nitrate 20 and nitrite 0, so all normal. Yes I used dechlorinator, always do just forgot to mention it!

Only other things i can think of are that  i have had loads of hair algae (green) in both tanks and am struggling to remove it.  But that shouldn't effect the fish should it?!

:(

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 04:46:20 PM »
a third female now looking as though she is struggling to stay upright.  Will report back in due course. Just wish i knew if it was disease or water or......?

Seems odd that it is just the phantoms that are effected!!!

FC76

Offline Resa

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 05:27:12 PM »
Hi Fishcake,

Bearing in mind, unlike Sue, I know nothing. I wondered though, it sounds as if you have had a really good clean, moving ornaments as well, so like Colin suggested, maybe a few too many bugglies got cleaned away, but I also thought  that perhaps you unleashed  a little toxic pocket or two. Sometimes, little areas of toxic gas can build up in your substrate or under rocks etc that aren't moved out often. If that were the case, perhaps your little phantoms are a bit more sensitive to it.
Just a thought....I'm very sorry that you have lost some of your little pals, and I hope that everything settles down again soon.

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 06:52:17 PM »
Funnily enough Resa i wondered about this too. If i'm honest i hadn't cleaned the tank for about a month (my M.E often leaves me without the energy to do it) and there was a nasty whiff when i had lifted some of the hollow ornaments out. :-[ :-[

FC76

Offline Resa

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 07:11:43 PM »
Sounds like a possibility then :( On the plus side, if it was that, at least you can remedy that and everyone else should be fine.
It must be awfully difficult for you sometimes if you have M.E. I had a friend back in the UK who suffered with that, and I remember how exhausted she got.
It may help with your water cleans, if when you do them, you hoover the surface and then deep clean one area and maybe one or two ornaments, then next water change you do the same again but moving to a different area for the deep clean? It might help prevent any problems collecting and maybe make the water changes a little less daunting for you.
Anyway, I hope everything is happier in your tank very soon. :)

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline Rich_D

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 01:16:25 AM »
Hi FC76 sorry to hear about your fish, it sounds a lot like what happened to my tank really. I unfortunately lost all my fish because of it. What I would advise is every time you do a clean to just push the ornaments down in to the subtrate and maybe run your siphon in to the subtrate and move it around to disturb it and not get any build ups! Hope the rest of ur fish are ok!

Angelfish (6) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Assassin Snail (1) - Japonica Shrimp (1) - Ruby Barb (10) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (10) - Sparkling Gourami (15) - Golden Pencilfish (15) - Angelfish (7) - Japonica Shrimp (9) - Assassin Snail (5) - Panda Cory (8) - Golden Pencilfish (7) - Diamond Tetra (9) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Flame Tetra (2) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Round Banded Barb (10) -

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2014, 08:07:30 AM »
Hi Rich,

Yes i read your thread about your fish, tough times for you mate. :( I have now bedded the ornaments in the gravel and will endeavour to do more regular gravel stirring!!! It's a steep learning curve this fish keeping lark, isn't it!!!! 
::)

All the rest of the fish seem fine this morning so hopefully that's the end of that saga!!!!

FC76

Offline Rich_D

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2014, 10:00:49 AM »
Yeah it did suck I was left alone for a few days to sulk but the tanks back up and currently in a cycle that's going well now. Glad your fishes are doing ok though! Hope you don't have any more losses! By the way if you have a heavy planted tank like I will be having they you could try those long wooden skewers for bbqs to disturb the subtrate if you didn't want to disturb the plant roots!

Angelfish (6) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Assassin Snail (1) - Japonica Shrimp (1) - Ruby Barb (10) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (10) - Sparkling Gourami (15) - Golden Pencilfish (15) - Angelfish (7) - Japonica Shrimp (9) - Assassin Snail (5) - Panda Cory (8) - Golden Pencilfish (7) - Diamond Tetra (9) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Flame Tetra (2) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Round Banded Barb (10) -

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2014, 11:14:38 AM »
I had an ornament like that once. It was a wood shaped piece of plastic, but hollow with a few tiny holes scattered about over the surface. When I lifted it out I smelled hydrogen sulphide (bad eggs) so I binned it and since then have made sure any cavities in decor have wide openings so that water can flow though easily.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2014, 12:28:37 PM »
Some people (including me) use Malasian Trumpet Snails to burrow around in the substrate and churn it about - hopefully eliminating any toxin build-up. The MTS don't seem to disturb the plant roots. You hear a lot of horror stories about MTS taking over the tank.... but this is a sign of over feeding the fish. I only see 1 or 2 now and again.... plus some little tracks in the gravel in the morning... and my gravel has never looked so clean. I'm afraid I hardly ever disturb the gravel or even hoover the top of it - I let the crypts feed on any detritus that builds up and the MTS seem to do the rest.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Richard W

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2014, 01:26:01 PM »
In a well planted tank the plant roots themselves should spread throughout the gravel and prevent any build up of nasties. Any large objects, be they ornaments or wood, should really rest on the bottom glass, not on top of gravel as it is the gravel buried underneath objects that tends to become anaerobic. Of course, in my opinion (which I've expressed several times before) so-called ornaments are the garden gnomes of an aquarium and should be binned.
 However, the symptoms you describe sound more like a disease to me than water problems, though poor water quality may have made the fish more susceptible to infection.

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2014, 08:19:37 PM »
i found this website/link and thought it interesting. Seems to describe what happened to my fish (and Rich D).

http://www.fishyportal.com/cgi-bin/pub/diag?c=v&id=60

FC76

Offline Rich_D

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2014, 12:57:41 AM »
Yeah Steve gave me that idea and the more research I did the more it made sense. It's something I will endeavour to not let it happen again!!!

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2014, 01:18:48 PM »
Well, i've now lost one of my glow lights to the same symptoms. Water tests have shown that the PH,GH and KH have all shot up again, so Ive done another water change (with RO water) and decided to treat is as though it's a disease so have dosed with esha 2000. 

I now have a very unhappy otto who is charging round the tank as though he's desperate to escape. I'm assuming this is the effect of the treatment and can see two possible courses of action. 1) I leave him to it and hope he'll settle down or 2) I move him into my Bettas tank with mega-careful acclimatisation. 

What do people think?

FC76

Offline Rich_D

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2014, 08:27:45 PM »
If it was me I would keep him out of the Betta tank as he/she could have caught what the others have and then your introducing whatever it could be in to your Betta tank.

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2014, 12:14:15 PM »
Just when you think it couldn't get any worse!!!!!!!!! :vcross:

Another phantom has died. Same symptoms except one- she seemed to have paralysis in her fins on her right side??!

Again though, this death has coincided with a water change two days ago but i can't workout what is causing the fish to die???

As stated in my last post i treated for 3 days with esha 2000, and then did an incredibly small water change (all my energy levels would allow) of about 3% - yes that does say three (6 litres from a 54 litre tank). Used tap water with nutrafin betta plus water dechlorinator in.
EDIT - my maths is atrocious, that should be 11%, I think!!!?? )

Yesterday morning the poorly girl was hiding and fin clamping, but i thought this could be due to the fact that because i have lost so many female phantoms i only had two left and she and the other one were getting badgered by the boys quite a bit ( checked very carefully for typos there!!!!  :)))

Then yesterday evening she was looking much worse and had started gasping but was still sitting under the filter and had a sort of white slimy patch, that i thought was maybe a wound where the male had nipped her, by her right gill and her fins on the same side were paralysed. I popped in some esha Optima and  about 1/3 large almond leaf and this morning she was stuck to the water inlet on the filter and when i freed her she floated to the top. I then euthanised her but before doing so observed if her fins were still paralysed, which they were and the white slimy patch had gone.

I've looked on fishy portal and it has given me these suggestions

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions???

i'm at a loss and scared to do anymore water changes!!!

FC76  :(

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Poorly phantom"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
9 Replies
Last post July 20, 2014, 09:56:44 AM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post August 11, 2014, 10:25:58 AM
by Cazzybaby
2 Replies
Last post March 02, 2016, 09:39:17 AM
by Paddyc
1 Replies
Last post May 07, 2017, 09:32:39 AM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post April 13, 2018, 09:05:03 PM
by Littlefish
11 Replies
Last post August 03, 2020, 07:58:46 PM
by fcmf
6 Replies
Last post September 28, 2020, 06:47:37 PM
by Beckins

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: