Poorly Oto

Author Topic: Poorly Oto  (Read 3661 times) 5 replies

Offline Alex_N

• Super Fishy Member
Poorly Oto
« on: November 30, 2015, 11:52:04 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
One of my otos has just taken a mighty drop in it's health.
She was fine first thing this morning, normal behaviour, then an hour ago she was darting to the surface and I've now just put her into isolation as she was belly up.

I'm assuming it's a swim bladder or bloating issue as there is no other sign of injury or illness.
At the minute she is just lying on her side and not taken any interest in the pea I've fed her.
Anyone had any similar problems with their sucking/ bottom dwelling fish?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Poorly Oto
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 12:28:19 PM »
Otos are notorious for problems. How long have you had them?

Otos are wild caught fish and the method used is to poison the water then scoop the fish out of the stream. Not all the fish that are still alive when caught make it.
Otos are finicky feeders. If they don't get the food they want in the holding tanks, then shipping, then the wholesaler's tanks, then the shop tank, they begin to starve. And with otos, once they reach a certain point no matter how much food they are fed they can't start processing food again.

With all that to contend with, otos very often die within a couple of months of getting them. If you've had yours less than that, I suspect it is the previous treatment catching up with your sick oto.

I said otos can be finicky about their food - do yours eat peas? You could also try a piece of courgette; some people find their otos eat sushi nori; and one person I read recently has has success with New Era plec pellets, no other brand just that one.

Offline Alex_N

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 12:50:55 PM »
I've only had them a couple of months if that so I would say it was the method they had been caught then. I never knew they were wild caught.
I've never seen them eat a pea but, as we all know, doesn't mean that they don't. I tend to drop an algae wafer in every few days and only a couple of them have a nibble, that I've seen anyway.
I'll have to try the New Era wafers.
It doesn't look good for her at the minute, I've not long checked on her and she hasn't moved.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 06:22:00 PM »
I hope your Oto pulls through Alex.

I didn't know they were all wild caught.
I had presumed that they would be farm bred by now.

I moved 6 Otos out of my QT tank on Friday, on Saturday one was floating dead. :(

Fingers crossed the others seem to be settling in and feeding, but I know I'll be fortunate if they all make it.

Fingers crossed for yours Alex.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Alex_N

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 06:44:56 PM »
I think she has all ready gone to the big aquarium in sky.
She still hasn't moved, no flick of a fin, no gill movement  :-\

When I moved her she was lively enough to evade the net a few times. Maybe as a species they're more prone to high levels of stress problems.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 07:23:26 PM »
... Maybe as a species they're more prone to high levels of stress problems.

I wondered if mine succumbed to the stress of being captured and transferred. She seemed to be doing fine in the QT tank.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Poorly Oto "

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post November 02, 2014, 10:06:44 PM
by biffster
6 Replies
Last post May 25, 2015, 04:16:08 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post March 14, 2016, 11:39:00 AM
by Fiona
14 Replies
Last post October 08, 2016, 02:19:37 PM
by Sue
15 Replies
Last post January 14, 2017, 04:24:32 PM
by fish-friends
3 Replies
Last post April 13, 2018, 09:05:03 PM
by Littlefish
6 Replies
Last post September 28, 2020, 06:47:37 PM
by Beckins

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: