Poor Mickey

Author Topic: Poor Mickey  (Read 4547 times) 8 replies

Offline Loubaa

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Poor Mickey
« on: April 17, 2015, 10:53:15 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I have this platy, Mickey, who has been a little weedy for a long time. She never grew very much and spent a lot of time on the bottom, only coming up for food. I have checked for worms, clamped fins and the dreaded stringy white poo but couldn't really identify any of the usual symptoms, and she was still eating so I thought she was just a little runt. I did dose with melafix too. This has gone on for months, and she just seemed to carry on but for the last few days she has been worse. Her spine seems to be bent and she is struggling to swim up for food. I  feel that she is suffering and I should really put her out of her misery. What do you think?

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Re: Poor Mickey
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 06:56:52 AM »
Ah that's sad Loubaa, especially as you have tried to treat her.

Won't offer an opinion on what to do net as too new on here. Just wanted to say sorry Poor Mickey isn't well

Offline Loubaa

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 07:56:15 AM »
Thanks Sanjo. My hub says she's just a little fish and he's right, but it is a shame  :'(

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 08:08:39 AM »
Hi Loubaa,

Sorry to year that Mickey is poorly. It does sound she may have always had something wrong with her as she hasn't displayed normal platy behaviour. I think you would be best to put her to sleep especially if you think she is suffering.

FC76

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 08:10:51 AM »
I have the same issue with one of my 'platies' (I'm convinced it's a swordtail as its a completely different shape to my other platies). It's a gorgeous little fish but hasn't grown much over the last few months. He looks very thin, is paler than I'd like and his fins seem a little frayed. I've treated for worms, bacteria and given a good dose of aquarium salt but to no avail. He's eating well enough and doesn't seem to be declining further. I've come to the conclusion it's just a weak fish. Livebearers have been weakened by inbreeding and whilst most still appear hardy enough, there's bound to be some weaker specimens.

I'm going to leave the little guy alone for now. However, due to his emaciated appearance I think it's only a matter of time until I'm in the same boat as you. I don't think there's a right or wrong decision in your situation and remember you've done what you can to help.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 09:52:46 AM »
When a fish reaches the stage where if it were a dog you would have it put down, then that's the time.

Do you know how to use clove oil?

Offline Loubaa

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 10:16:10 PM »
Thank you all for you kind words! I read up about the clove oil but in fact she died before I got it. I am glad in a way because she had been struggling along for a while. I think if it happens again to any more of my fish I will act sooner - it wasn't nice to see her suffering, even a tiny little fish. It's not like a dog or a cat I know but you do get strangely attached to them after a while!

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 08:38:26 AM »
Poor Mickey indeed Loubaa but at least she isn't suffering now.
I'm going to get some clove oil so I have it in stock.

:'(

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 08:57:19 AM »
I would also set aside an air tight container to mix the clove oil in (eg bottle, screwtop jar), a tub big enough to hold your largest fish and  pair of rubber gloves. Clove oil smells awful and it takes ages to get the smell off your hands.

Tags:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: