Pigeon Chested Endler And Flicking Off Plants. Causes?

Author Topic: Pigeon Chested Endler and flicking off plants. Causes?  (Read 4353 times) 7 replies

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Pigeon Chested Endler and flicking off plants. Causes?
« on: December 04, 2014, 01:29:49 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I noticed a couple of days ago that one of my endlers has what I can only describe as a pigeon chest, it's abdomen is distended at the front. Anyone know the cause of this please?

Also I noticed that one of my second batch of endlers is doing a flick across plants and the scales round his gills look 'bruised' apart from that he seems ok, is eating and is swimming fine. Any ideas?

Other information is that its been 4 days of treatment with Esha 2000, I expected that to resolve these issues and it hasn't as yet

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
Re: Pigeon Chested Endler and flicking off plants. Causes?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 01:38:01 PM »
Hi Fiona,

My fishlopedia says it could be worms or a tumour. But most likely worms!

FC76

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 01:43:03 PM »
I know that endlers can look pigeon chested just after they've been fed as they are greedy and will stuff themselves, but it usually goes away after a few hours. But this isn't the cause if it's been like this for a few days. The scales aren't sticking out are they? Is it swimming and eating OK?

The one that is flicking - that can be sign of anything from an itch to ammonia in the water to parasites. If it is the only fish doing it, it could just be the way that fish is. If you do suspect a parasite, eSHa Exit is their anit-parasitic.

Other than that, I don't have a clue  :-[ Sorry.

Fishcake just replied as I was typing - worms usually make the fish go skinny, but if the fish ever stops swimming, see if there are red things protruding from the anus. I have been reading up a lot on camallanus worms recently (my apistos had them) and it takes a while for the worms to show. It is mature female worms that hang out of the anus so the fish have been infected for several weeks before the worms become visible.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 11:02:48 PM »
Yeah endlers are greedy little things so I was relieved when we set up a tank for them (yes we cycled it) and at a guess its been like this for at least 2 days. There's no sign of dropsy and looking at it carefully tonight at feeding time, its not eating. It goes for it then seems to lose interest. I do have 2 skinny enders but I thought that was just because they're the smallest and haven't grown up yet.

I was going to say there's nothing protruding from the anus but its now making me think about the endler I euthanized; that had abdominal protrusions though.

Can I use eSHa exit and esha 2000 or should I get a carbon filter in now? I can buy eSHa exit tomorrow.

Thanks guys

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 08:00:02 AM »
Hi Fiona,

I hope it is only worms, at least you can treat those!!

I know that with cats that they are initially very skinny with worms as the worms eat all their food but then as the worm burden grows they become bloated as the worm numbers increase in their system. So I reckon that would be the same for fish, that is probably why you have skinny and bloated fish. The bloated one was probably one of the first to become infected.

I don't think you need to use carbon between treatments as eshas products are safe to use together. Just do a water change before starting the new treatment perhaps.

FC76

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 09:39:40 AM »
OK will do and thanks :)

I just wanted to add that when I did my routine water tests they all came back as fine so it's not an ammonia itch

Offline biffster

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • a clean looking tank is not always a safe tank
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 10:58:18 AM »
what about your nitrite and nitrate whats the reading on them

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 12:54:30 PM »
If it does turn out to be intestinal worms, you'll need a specific medication for that. After some research I went with wormer plus. The two fish that were obviously infected were just the tip of the iceberg according to what I read. Other fish were probably infested, just that the worms weren't mature enough for the females to hang out.

When I got the apistos, the chap said they were bred by someone local rather than from a fish farm via the wholesaler. This is why a lot of shops won't take fish from customers.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Pigeon Chested Endler and flicking off plants. Causes?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post December 12, 2012, 01:05:27 PM
by Chucklett
3 Replies
Last post January 14, 2013, 07:10:55 PM
by selhurst sound
14 Replies
Last post April 24, 2013, 03:57:17 PM
by Sue
58 Replies
Last post November 10, 2013, 04:31:09 PM
by jesnon
23 Replies
Last post April 18, 2016, 07:01:13 PM
by Littlefish
1 Replies
Last post June 04, 2016, 09:19:49 PM
by Sue
11 Replies
Last post May 02, 2021, 05:35:33 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: