Pearl Danio Acting Very Strange

Author Topic: pearl danio acting very strange  (Read 7330 times) 5 replies

Offline suep

• Fishy Member
pearl danio acting very strange
« on: May 13, 2013, 11:14:36 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I am new to fish keeping and have only had my 125 litre tank about 2 months. I am keeping a few different species of danios and all has been well until today when I spotted one of the pearl danios spinning round and around then it stopped at the bottom of the tank very still for about 5 minutes. I though it was on its way out but then it started swimming normally again. About an hour later it started darting around the tank then stopped at the bottom again. I thought it might need isolating so put in on its own in a separate small (48litre) tank for a few hours. But it seemed so stressed darting around that I have put it back in the big tank again overnight. (the small tank was filtered and the correct temperature). I have tested the water for ammonia and nitrates and all seems fine. The other fish seem okay and since I put it back it has been swimming normally again. Can anyone suggest what I should do if it carries on acting this way? It doesn't look any different. Thanks  :-[
Just to note - I did my usual 30% water change on Saturday. I currently have 25 small fish and according to aqadvisor I'm about 75% stocked.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: pearl danio acting very strange
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 08:27:21 AM »
The first thing to warn you is about aqadvisor. It is unreliable. Another forum I'm a member of has actually banned mention of it because of this (if the name is typed in a post it is removed by the swear filter!). Have you tried using the community creator on here instead?

Your pearl danio - the only things I can think of are an internal infection or possibly the temp of your tank. Pearl and zebra/leopard danios are temperate fish rather then tropical, they prefer temperatures in the very low 20s. What is the temp of your tank?
As for an internal infection, those are difficult to treat in the UK as the medication we have access to is limited. You could try Interpet anti internal bacteria or eSHa 2000, but only if you are sure the fish is very sick, and even then treat in the small tank rather than the main one. If you do use the small tank, make sure it has loads of hiding places - cheap plastic plants are fine for this purpose.

I have tested the water for ammonia and nitrates and all seems fine.

Did you mean nitrites or nitrates?

Offline suep

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 10:20:52 PM »
Thanks for your reply Sue. Since last night the fish has been acting normally. It's very strange. The temp is 24% because I wanted to add some honey gourami so I have slowly increased the temp over a few weeks but it has been 24 degrees for about 4 weeks without any problem until yesterday. All the fish are okay again now. I can only think he ate too much blood worm and maybe had a stomach upset!
Thanks for your advice re aqadvisor.

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 08:42:19 AM »
Glad to hear the problem is sorted. Over-eating and constipation can both cause problems if the bloated stomach/intestines press on the swim bladder. If they stuff themselves too much again, don't feed the next day. They won't come to any harm.

Offline suep

• Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 06:58:38 PM »
Okay thanks Sue. I'm going away for a week on Friday so I guess I may have been feeding them up a bit too much in preparation. I had frozen blood worm in small ice cube blocks and just put one block in but there does seem to be quite a lot and they do look very full afterwards. Maybe I should cut the block in half? Anyway, The fish is till swimming okay with the other now so i think you were right - he had stuffed himself!

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 07:07:04 PM »
I always chop the frozen cubes in half, and that amount feeds the fish in my 125 litre, my 50 litre and the betta in the 25 litre. The cubes have a lot more in them than you'd think. I thaw mine in a tub of water (it makes it easier to divide the contents between 3 tanks  ;D ) and you'd be surprised what it looks like thawed out. For 25 fish, I'd be inclined to try 1/4 cube next time, and if possible slice the cube quite thinly - blood worm can be a bit chunky for small fish and slicing the cubes chops the individual worms into bite sized chunks.
I went out and bought a new knife just for chopping up frozen cubes  ;D

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "pearl danio acting very strange"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post June 07, 2013, 09:30:54 AM
by Sue
15 Replies
Last post July 25, 2014, 03:11:01 PM
by ColinB
5 Replies
Last post August 14, 2015, 10:43:53 AM
by Extreme_One
17 Replies
Last post August 30, 2015, 08:55:21 PM
by Anne
5 Replies
Last post April 20, 2016, 04:16:37 PM
by Alex_N
5 Replies
Last post June 03, 2016, 11:08:35 AM
by Snoopy27
0 Replies
Last post September 18, 2017, 08:57:20 PM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: