Otos Disappeared!?

Author Topic: Otos disappeared!?  (Read 6638 times) 7 replies

Offline Colesr92

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Otos disappeared!?
« on: October 08, 2014, 06:51:51 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I have five Otocinclus in my 40L, which is heavily planted with bog wood. Over the last few days I have only seen one of them, where usually they feed in a group and I always see at least four. I am trying not to disturb the tank by moving bogwood, but should I replace them or give more time to see them?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Otocinclus (6) - Japonica Shrimp (6) - Silver Tip Tetra (12) - Cardinal Tetra (10) - Cherry Barb (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Otos disappeared!?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 07:05:48 PM »
If the tank is heavily planted and has lots of hiding places, I would wait and see. Though if you are concerned one or more might have died I would look for them as dead, decomposing fish can cause ammonia spikes.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 07:21:16 AM »
If they have died there is a reason for it and so if you just replace them there's a very good chance that the replacements will die as well unless you find the cause. Was there enough algae in the tank to meet their needs?

Offline ColinB

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 07:58:59 AM »
Ottos need to be constantly grazing algae and five in a 40litre will need a lot of algae.

How new are they? Ottos have a very tough time of it from their collection from the rivers by cyanide, transport without enough food and not enough algae in the dealer's tanks. If yours are reasonably recent they may just be too weak to survive, I'm afraid.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Colesr92

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 12:14:22 PM »
There is plenty of algae and bogwood in there, I also feed them algae pellets as a side feed to keep them happy. I think I have seem them all now, there were four in there literally a few minutes after I put this up last night. Being bottom dwellers, I know I won't see them much and my tank has many hiding places, was just worried about something killing them all off in there. Thanks all.

Otocinclus (6) - Japonica Shrimp (6) - Silver Tip Tetra (12) - Cardinal Tetra (10) - Cherry Barb (6) -

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 01:53:32 PM »
I've got 5 ottos in my tank and they've worried me quite a few times (worry is a slight understaement) and if you've got a heavily planted tank like mine they are very hard to find, I go days only seeing 1 or 2 but another day I'll look in and see them all in one spot.

edited to add...they're also very good at attaching themselves to the underside of logs in upside down mode and I've noticed mine also hang vertically from plant stems at the back on the tank making it very hard to find them.

ps: try some blanched cucumber or courgette as a treat, they love it :)

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 10:23:23 PM »
Being bottom dwellers...
Don't be misled into thinking of otos as "bottom dwellers". They will happily exist at all levels of the tank. They feed by attaching their mouth parts to flat surfaces, but this may be the sides of the aquarium or the leaves and stems of your plants at any levels.  They are also, generally, more active at night. To top it all they are experts at hiding themselves away for days on end.

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -

Offline Resa

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 11:26:15 PM »
Yup...I'll second that! The times I have thought that my little otos must surely have died and been eaten, couldn't be counted, and then I've spent ages looking for their poor little bodies....just to spot them two or more days later zipping to their latest favourite munching place.....little buggers :vcross:

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Otos disappeared!?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post November 13, 2015, 01:05:29 PM
by fcmf
9 Replies
Last post October 20, 2016, 08:16:48 AM
by ColinB
13 Replies
Last post May 15, 2017, 11:46:05 PM
by MarquisMirage

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: