One Of My Platy Has Lump Near Tail!!

Author Topic: One of my Platy has lump near tail!!  (Read 16987 times) 16 replies

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
One of my Platy has lump near tail!!
« on: November 30, 2012, 06:24:26 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi,
One of my platy is not well....it is hiding amongst the plants. It appears to have a cluster of small lumps near its tail, forming a much larger lump.

It is very difficult to see properly, but the cluster of small lumps might just be because the lump is a reasonable size, and as it is "stretching" making it appear to be a cluster.

All the other fish appear fine.

Cannot get a good enough view to photograph.

Ammonia 0pmm, Nitrite 0pmm, ph 7.8 and have not done nitrate as am doing a water change very soon.

Anyone got any ideas please?

Managed to take a photo...not a good one but one nonetheless. ::)

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Bristlenose Plec (2) - Golden Barb (8) - Angelfish (8) - Platy (8) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Panda Cory (8) - Rosy Barb (7) - Boeseman's Rainbowfish (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: One of my Platy has lump near tail!!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 09:03:30 AM »
I have no idea what it is but my green neons got something looking like that.
I bought 10 green neons from a chap on line, one didn't make the journey, but the other 9 were fine. Then I got some more from a local shop. It's the local ones that had the problem. One by one, they got white near the tail like the platy in your photo. They were OK for a while, then they started not being able to swim properly. From there, they went downhill quickly and I euthanased them before they died in case whatever-it-is was infectious; the best way to pass a disease on is by eating dead diseased fish and I wanted these fish out of the tank before that could happen.
I've never been able to ID the disease, I'm afraid, so I've no idea what the cause was and how to cure it.

I'm not being much help, am I. You could try an antifinrot and fungus medication just in case. But I would try and treat the fish somewhere other than your main tank. I would be very wary about adding a chemical to the tank just before you change your filter. Other than that, keep an eye on the fish and prepare yourself for losing it if the problem gets worse. Maybe put it in a fry net. Healthy fish will often pick on a sick fish, so isolating it to keep an a eye on it will keep the other fish away.

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 09:09:57 AM »
Thanks Sue,
It appears to be struggling  :( I will have to look up on how to put it to sleep :(  It was one of the fish that I got from my lfs (not the major chain) which has always had a good rep.

Someone, who used to keep fish, thinks it may be lymphocystis (I think) but will keep a close eye on it.

I am expecting an important health visit today but once they have been I will pop over the lfs for a fry box.

Bristlenose Plec (2) - Golden Barb (8) - Angelfish (8) - Platy (8) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Panda Cory (8) - Rosy Barb (7) - Boeseman's Rainbowfish (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 09:26:08 AM »
If it is lymphocystis, I'd remove it asap. It is infectious. I think my new betta has it, which is why he is no longer in the 50 litre with other fish but on his own in the 25 litre (vacated when my 2 year old betta died).

Having said that, my betta acts like there was nothing wrong. He swims fine, has a very healthy appetite, and begs for food whenever he sees me. Lymphocystis doesn't usually make a fish act sick. I've read up on it quite extensively after finding the lump on my betta.

Euthanasia. There is great dispute over the best way. Some are best for the fish, some are best for us humans.
Clove oil. Sold at the chemist, it's an old remedy for toothache. Put the fish in a tub of tankwater. Put 25 to 30 drops of clove oil in a bottle with a tight lid, add some water and shake well. Pour into the tub with the fish. Clove oil is an anaesthetic which kills at overdose. It puts the fish to sleep first then they die. Make sure the fish is dead before disposing of the body by leaving it a couple of hours. Clove oil stinks, I wear rubber gloves as it takes ages to get the smell off my skin.
Freezing, best suited to small fish. Never put the fish in room temp water then into the freezer. Put the tub of water in the freezer till it begins to ice over, break the ice and put the fish in.
If you can do it, the quickest way is to net the fish out and cut its head off with a very sharp knife. Not everyone can bring themselves to do this though.

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 09:49:03 AM »
Right thanks Sue....not looking good for it then?? I have some clove oil so will have a cuppa and ....thanks.

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 04:16:51 PM »
Well...after it was looking poorly all day it seems, fingers crossed, to have recovered slightly. :) It is swimming around although it does "rest" on the bottom and in amongst the grasses from time to time.

I have started Myxazin today in case it is Bacterial. So we will have to wait and see.  :D

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 04:52:05 PM »
Fingers crossed. Myxazin is one of the better meds.

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 05:03:10 PM »
I was going to get esha 2000 but the lfs stopped selling it!! not a lot of money in it apparently. :P

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 06:20:20 AM »
Update:
Well it was swimming around this morning when I got up but is now so well hidden I have no idea where it is.

It did not come out for its morning feed. I am due to give a second dose of Myxazin later on today.

I do not want the fish to suffer but, I do not want to put it to sleep if there is a chance of recovery.

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 01:00:53 PM »
I know where you're coming from Mervyn. You hang in there with hope for as long as possible. The fish is pretty much at deaths door before I make the decision to euthanise. That may sound terrible, but the fish has to obviously be beyond the point of no return before I give up hope. And it makes euthanising justifiable (if there is such a thing) - putting it out of its misery when death is inevitible. All things crossed for you and your platy - I hope you dont have to make that decision.

In case you still want to try Esha 2000, or get some in your cupboard for future, it is still available on the internet (ebay at least). I always recommend asking the shelf-date before buying though - likewise with any food, dechlorinator, etc you may buy online.

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2012, 01:07:02 PM »
Thanks for that.  I have seen it a couple of times this morning now but it gets bullied by a  male platy, so it tends to go into hiding. With a bit of luck and the meds it may start to improve.

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2012, 04:44:33 PM »
Well I have looked everywhere for the platy. Amongst all the plants...inside the coconut cave and even down the side of the filter box ( he has taken refuge there before)....no sign of it.

Feeding time at 6pm and will wait to see if it comes out. Otherwise I have no idea where he is at or succumbed. :(

Offline Sue

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2012, 04:54:50 PM »
Mervyn, you need to find the platy. If it has died, it'll do horrible things to your ammonia as it decomposes. I've sometimes had to take everything out of the tank when I've lost a sick fish in an attempt to find it. How lush are your plants? Sick fish will odten wedge themselves in the thickest part, or in the most unlikely places. It almost seems as though they don't want to bother swimming when they are sick, so wedge themselves somewhere they won't get carried by the current.
The other reason is that all fish will eat a dead one, and that's the most effective way of passing on a disease.

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2012, 04:58:09 PM »
Thanks Sue,
I will give it a chance to come out at 6pm then if no sign I will start removing decor,plants etc. the plants are not very grown at the moment. In fact,where he normally takes refuge I have just had to re-plant as the (fairly new) plants had come out of the substrate.

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2012, 05:58:29 PM »
Found it. :( :( Took the majority of the decor out and it was under the rounded end of the Coconut cave!!

Will give me a chance to clean the silk plants that I took out, but would rather have had the Platy still alive.

Do I continue with the full 5 day dosing of Myxazin??

Offline Sue

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2012, 06:45:03 PM »
I'm sorry to hear about the platy. I find it does happen with new fish from time to time.

Yes, carry on with it. The other platies came from the same place, so they could have been infected with whatever-it-was and be at an earlier stage. In that case, the earlier it gets treated the better.

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2012, 05:45:59 AM »
I have another fish on the brink of death!! :-( no lumps or outward signs...I noticed it did not feed last night and was a bit lethargic. At the moment it is on the bottom of the tank struggling to remain upright.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "One of my Platy has lump near tail!!"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
7 Replies
Last post September 02, 2014, 07:49:55 AM
by Puffin
22 Replies
Last post February 13, 2015, 02:04:33 PM
by Sue
1 Replies
Last post February 09, 2015, 01:30:50 PM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post May 17, 2015, 08:57:26 PM
by Anne
16 Replies
Last post April 12, 2017, 12:58:22 PM
by Trish
25 Replies
Last post December 21, 2017, 05:39:41 PM
by Fishbeard
16 Replies
Last post January 28, 2018, 09:48:37 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: