One Of My Honey Gouramie Has Become Very Shy!

Author Topic: One of my Honey Gouramie has become very shy!  (Read 7541 times) 19 replies

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
One of my Honey Gouramie has become very shy!
« on: December 17, 2012, 04:26:02 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi,
I have two Honey Gouramie in my tank, and although I know they are shy, one of them has become almost reclusive. One of them is quite a lot larger than the other and it is the small one that now continually hides away, and it has not really shown itself for at least three days, although I know where to find it!

It was not being harassed by the other Gouramie, in fact they used to swim about together. Neither is it being  accosted by my other fish.

Is it normal behavior for this species?

As an aside......the baby fish is still going strong and is showing itself more and more, so I do not know how long that will last.

I also must apologize as all I seem to do is ask questions, and they may seem silly but I am honestly trying to learn. :-[

Thanks

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Bristlenose Plec (2) - Golden Barb (8) - Angelfish (8) - Platy (8) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Panda Cory (8) - Rosy Barb (7) - Boeseman's Rainbowfish (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: One of my Honey Gouramie has become very shy!
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 04:38:40 PM »
A question in return  :D The one that hides, is it a male?

I have three honey gouramis, 1 male 2 females. The females are everywhere in the tank, quite often one is chasing the other. The male is usually to be found hanging out at the surface behind the spraybar. I have had honey gouramis for years, they were among the first tropical fish I had. It is common for the males to hang around where they think is a good spot for building a bubble nest (eg behind the spraybar where there is less surface movement) even though they don't necessarily build one. The current male hasn't. Yet. He only comes out to eat and chase a female occassionally.

Is this what your gourami is doing, or is it more like something to worry about?

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 04:47:54 PM »
To be honest, I don't know...I thought it was female as the lfs said they were one of each but was difficult to tell. The smaller one is more drab in colour and really quite a lot smaller.

They were sold to me as Red Robin, which I know is still a honey gourami, and their colour matches the pictures of honey gourami that I have seen.

It does sometimes hang around the spray bar but not often. It is somtimes resting at the bottom of this particular plant, and sometimes in the foliage, but I definitely get the impression he is hiding. This particular gourami has always been more timid than the other, but now it has not left that end of the tank for several days.

Bristlenose Plec (2) - Golden Barb (8) - Angelfish (8) - Platy (8) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Panda Cory (8) - Rosy Barb (7) - Boeseman's Rainbowfish (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 06:24:13 PM »
Just managed to get a look at the gourami and it appears to have what looks like a warg on both sides of its head!!!

Is this normal?

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 07:05:06 PM »
I assume you mean wart???

No it's not normal. I would keep a very close eye on it. Does it look anything like my betta - see my thread 'tumour or lymphocystis' further down this section for photos. I've still not ID's what's wrong with him, unfortuately.

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 04:47:00 AM »
Hi Sue,
Yes I mean wart  :-[ Does not look like your photos...they really do look like warts..the colour of it matches the colour of the fish. They are raised  and and surrounded by a "ring" of smaller lumps and very,very wart like. Also they seem very symmetrical.  Have not seen the Gourami today yet, but will keep a very close eye.

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 08:26:14 AM »
Can I suggest you google lymphocystis images. In my experience, warts can look a bit cauliflowerish, and lymphocysts looks cauliflowerish. OK, so I'm paranoid about that disease after finding the lump on my betta, but better (sorry!) safe than sorry. And fish tb. That's not very common in freshwater fish, but best to rule it out.

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 09:42:51 AM »
Hi Sue,
Does not really look like that. I have taken and attached photo but still not very clear, although you (or maybe only me) can notice a defined circle.

I maybe of course, be seeing or imagining things, that are not actually there or important, or could even be normal. But I would rather make a fool of myself, rather than ignore something that  may or may not be harmful to the fish.

The colouring of the fish is not right (my auto correct) that redness is actually golden/orange colour!!

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 06:36:30 PM »
It is always best to check when a fish looks a bit 'iffy' .
There's nothing in the photo I can say definitely looks like such-and-such a disease, but he does look a bit sorry for himself (or herself). Is it just the way the photo has caught him/her, or does he really look like that? If he really is like that, keep a close eye on him, he doesn't look quite right, though it's difficult to pinpoint anything that looks wrong, just under the weather.

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 04:42:21 AM »
Hi Sue and thanks,
The photo (apart from the colour) is how he/she looks now. I will continue to keep a very close eye on him/her.

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 03:24:50 PM »
The Gourami is now very,very poorly! I noticed that it was basically swirling around with the current.

It is now behind a plant tail down with its head pointing upwards. Should I wait or should I get the clove oil out?? :-( difficult for me to decide, as I want to give it every chance possible.

Offline Sue

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2012, 04:09:54 PM »
Do you have a fry net? They can be used for isolating sick fish and make it easier to keep an eye on them.

But it does sound like the end is near. It is up to you whether to wait or not, but make sure that if it does die, you remove it asap before the other fish have chance to start eating it.

Sorry I can't be more hopeful. It is not unknown for fish to die shortly after purchase. With all that they go through before they get to your tank, it isn't really surprising that some don't make it.

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2012, 04:20:23 PM »
Have not got a fry net!! strangely that is on my list for the lfs for Sat/Sun....at the moment it is "free floating" in the current and is not doing any swimming at all....it has now managed to rest on the bottom.

I will give it a while but really think it is on the way out.

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2012, 05:03:37 PM »
Update!! The Gourami has just expired.....hope it is not anything I have done/not done...all my water tests are fine, but it has always been very,very shy, and unlike the other Gourami , although I have only had them a short time, it had not grown at all.

:(

Offline Sue

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2012, 06:47:15 PM »
I don't think it is anything you have done. Some fish do not seem to cope with the stresses of being imported, transported from the wholesaler to the shop, the stresses of being in the shop tank, netted and transported to your tank and so on. Fish also seem to be weaker these days, thought to be due to inbreeding, the way they are raised in fish farms or both.
I'm getting a bt concerned about my male killifish. He's been hanging round the back of the filter for about a week and today I can't find him. And this fish came from a local chap who bred them at home not a shop. I don't know what to do. I need to find him, especially if he's dead, but I cut my arm a few days ago and it's not healed up yet........

Offline Sue

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2012, 04:56:55 PM »
I've found the killifish - wedged in the hornwort, dead.

TigzFish

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2012, 05:21:55 PM »
Shame.  :'(

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2012, 05:41:47 PM »
Sorry to hear that Sue..x

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2012, 12:44:47 PM »
Got another honey Gourami yesterday to replace the one that passed, I am back to two now but the Original Gourami keeps chasing the new one away. Hopefully they will both be able to settle down soon.

This new one is certainly out and about a lot more than the little one that died.

Offline Sue

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2012, 12:50:12 PM »
Give them time. Honey gouramis usually accept each other, though there are exceptions - I've had one that wouldn't.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "One of my Honey Gouramie has become very shy!"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post September 13, 2014, 12:28:44 PM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post October 09, 2014, 12:11:53 PM
by Colesr92
3 Replies
Last post January 10, 2015, 10:52:21 AM
by Cod_only_knows
2 Replies
Last post August 21, 2015, 05:05:52 PM
by KieranWD
30 Replies
Last post September 21, 2015, 10:19:32 AM
by Diz1
31 Replies
Last post September 02, 2017, 10:43:51 PM
by Matt
1 Replies
Last post September 03, 2017, 10:37:34 AM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: