Marine Sand ?

Author Topic: Marine sand ?  (Read 4556 times) 13 replies

Offline Ally2

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Marine sand ?
« on: November 19, 2016, 11:05:10 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi I bought some new sand . Checked the back of the packet it didn't say coral sand unlike the other pkt near it of the same make . I double checked at the counter and said this isn't marine sand is it . He also checked the back and looked at the grains and said no it normally has bits of red in if its coral sand .
This was Maidenhead aquatics by the way.
So I've put it in the tank inspecting my fish with magnifying glass and think. Can see red or reddish brown bits ! Suddenly sent me into a panic . If it is what would it do and how can I check .
I think I'm going to give up on fish keeping its far too confusing .
Ally

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
Re: Marine sand ?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 07:52:22 AM »
I've never heard of this red bits thing but the check you made regarding whether it was coral sand or not sounds correct to me.

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • aka Donna
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 09:10:10 AM »
I have to say that the tank looks lovely.  :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 09:11:14 AM »
Do you still have the packet? What brand of sand was this? In my experience MA doesn't sell unbranded sand. If you can  tell us what the sand is we can google it to see what it says.

Offline Ally2

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 12:29:52 PM »
Hi
Don't have the packet . I think it may be tana sand from googling it. Though it didn't say what it was on packet . Is tana sand ok it has white bits in it .
Ally

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 12:53:58 PM »
That sounds like a Unipac sand and I know that MA sells that make.

I have found an old thread on here in which @fcmf said she has tana sand. Hopefully the tag will catch her attention and she can tell you what she thinks of it.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2016, 01:41:11 PM »
Hi Ally,

Here's a pic of my Unipac Tana Sand. I wouldn't describe any of the grains as red - instead, white and various shades of brown. I've also checked the pack, just in case the colour has changed since it's been in the tank, but, again, what's in the pack doesn't look red at all either.

When I was last in my LFS (MA), I didn't see any Unipac sand although that's what I purchased there 2 years ago. They had packs of Aqua Range and JBL substrate in stock and possibly another brand but not Unipac although that's not to say that they didn't keep it out the back of the shop. Take a look through https://fishkeeper.co.uk/productshowroom/aquarium/gravel-substrates and https://www.jbl.de/?lang=en&mod=products&func=group&id=3397 and see if any of them look a possibility - looks as though the JBL Sansibar red may well be what you've got?

I'm very happy with my Unipac Tana sand which I've had throughout my 2 years of tropical fishkeeping (although I / the fish would probably prefer a darker colour because this is more in line with my particular species' natural environment and which I'm considering). However, from a functional point of view, it's perfectly fine and looks good.

PS. Attachment (pic) can't be saved; I'll keep trying.

Offline Ally2

• Super Fishy Member
Re: Marine sand ? Tana sand
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2016, 04:22:14 PM »
Ok
Been on the may website to identify the packet and it was unipac sand . I'm pretty sure it's the tana sand I purchased . So I assume think is ok for freshwater aquariums and won't make my ph rocket skyhigh ?
Allison

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2016, 04:29:22 PM »
The easy way to test it is either if you have a tiny bit that didn't go in the tank, or if it's all in remove a pinch and leave it somewhere to dry. Then add a few drops of vinegar and watch carefully for any bubbles. If there aren't any, good.

And you can measure your tank's pH now and again just before a water change, or a week whichever is soonest to see if there is any change.

Offline Ally2

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2016, 04:34:17 PM »
Thanks Sue
I did a ph test and nitrite test yesterday after I stripped the tank . So I would do another today to check if anything has changed . Will take a bit of sand out and vinegar test that . Also there are a few small air pockets I can see under the sand shall I just push down to try to remove them ?
Ally

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2016, 05:14:28 PM »
The easiest way to deal with air pockets is to stir the sand gently with a long stick.

Since you cleaned and refilled the tank yesterday the pH would be the same as freshly run tap water which is usually different from water that has stood for a day. Use today's pH as the starting one, and see what happens over the course of a week. Yesterday's pH right after the water change will be different just because the water hadn't stood overnight.

Offline Ally2

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2016, 07:33:02 PM »
Hi Sue
Yes I always stand the water either the night before or day before so hopefully the ph reading was accurate . I'm checking nitrite ( I don't have any amonia testing kits) I think it had a very slight pink tinge . Also what I think is algae on the wood and sides of tank . I was expecting this as I'd taken all the substrate out and cleaned off all the biofilm . So I've done a 5.5 litre water change and suppose I will have to do this until the good bacteria builds up again ?
Did the vinegar test on the sand and no fizzing ! So that's a relief as it took me three hours to do the tank and didn't fancy doing it again to remove the sand !
Ally

Offline Sue

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2016, 07:40:59 PM »
Ammonia is the first thing to show up, but you don't have a tester for that. Nitrite is the second thing to go up, so by the time that registers a reading you could have a high ammonia reading.

You need to do either daily water changes of 25% or get an ammonia tester so you can check.

Offline Ally2

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2016, 10:09:00 PM »
Hi
Yes in intend to do 25 pe cent water changes until I can be my hands on amonia testing
Ally

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Marine sand ? "

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post June 20, 2013, 09:33:36 PM
by Gaynor
2 Replies
Last post August 01, 2013, 08:25:31 PM
by Etienne
16 Replies
Last post September 06, 2014, 12:58:04 PM
by Diz1
3 Replies
Last post September 04, 2014, 04:56:24 PM
by Richard W
4 Replies
Last post January 28, 2015, 05:20:21 PM
by Fiona
1 Replies
Last post November 10, 2016, 05:10:14 AM
by Andy The Minion
10 Replies
Last post January 01, 2017, 11:04:07 AM
by Moby

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: