Lumpy Fungus

Author Topic: Lumpy fungus  (Read 5457 times) 12 replies

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
Lumpy fungus
« on: December 31, 2014, 07:24:35 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi all,

Got some more black phantoms and ottos yesterday and noticed today that two pf the phantoms have what looks like cauliflower lumps on their tails, in fact one of them looks like she has lost a chunk of tail too. I'm guessing that the fungus was an underlying infection that has come out due to stress of moving to new tank.  I've treated with Esha 2000 and will see what happens!!

I've removed my snails as Esha kills them but was wondering if it is safe to put them in my other tank or if they could be carrying the disease?

Happy New Year!!!

FC76

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Lumpy fungus
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 07:30:18 PM »
Hmmm, be careful if they really do look like cauliflowers especially if they look like the attached photo. That is my betta, the one that had lymphocystis, an infectious viral disease. It spreads when the lumps burst open so you should be safe until they do split then reform.

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 08:29:22 PM »
I think it may be lymphocystis. I've only managed to get one half decent picture as the fish are still easily scared by too much activity around the tank.

Don't know if you can tell from this or not?

FC76

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 08:36:44 PM »
It is a bit hard to tell. But just in case I would be inclined to quarantine the two affected fish and watch them closely for a few days. If it's lymphocystis, it won't improve; if it's something else it might well get better with lots of water changes.

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 08:44:31 PM »
All the new fish are in my quarantine tank so I'll keep treating with Esha for the three days as according to instructions and if no improvement I'll begin daily water changes. I assume that if it is lymphocystis it will continue to get and worse and then it will get to a point that the fish will need euthanising???

I shall let the fish shop know also.

FC76

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 08:48:20 PM »
Fish can live with lymphocystis, it's just that they'll infect the other fish. I did put my betta to sleep as the lump was starting to invade his gill and his behaviour changed so much that it was obvious he was suffering. But I only put him down once the lump got into his gill, he was quite happy till then.
Having said that, it is much easier to keep a solitary fish with the disease  :-\

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2015, 08:51:02 AM »
Morning!

Quick update!

Lumps have started to decrease in size and fish bright and active, so looking good!!!!!  :)

FC76

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2015, 04:56:24 PM »
That is good news! There are other things that can cause white caulliflowerish lumps, your fish must have had one of them.

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 09:33:09 PM »
Hi gang,

Frustration reigns in the fishcake house!!!!   :vcross:

My ottos have both died but this is not related to the current frustration or the lumpy fungus issue! Just the sensitive nature of ottos I think. Bit of a bummer tho as they are not cheap!!!!

The frustration is caused by the phantoms. All three still alive and seemingly quite happy apart from still having lumps. On further investigation and lots of time spent peering at them through a magnifying glass I have reached the conclusion that they must have lymphocystis as originally feared. 

I cannot get a decent picture of the lumps and believe me I've tried!!!! But I have attached this pic to show where the growths are/were and also to show the damage to the smallest phantoms tail. The bigger phantom is the one who still has lumps. The smaller one has a very small amount of swelling where the lumps were but no actual lumps.

They have now received a six day course of Esha 200 but no further improvement in size or appearance of lumps, I am trying to decide what to do with them. Most sources of info say that it takes at least 4 months to be completely clear of lumps and therefore infection but that there is no guarantee that the fish will not remain carriers of the virus or redevelop it.

I really do not want to risk putting them in my community tank, even if I do get them clear of lumps. I'm torn between euthanising them and putting it down to experience or taking them back to the shop and asking for a refund (where they will probably be euthanised anyway).

I'm also not convinced that I will want any more phantoms from the MA where got them from as all fish in that 'batch' I assume may well be infected??!

What do people suggest I do???

FC76

Offline Richard W

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 07:32:52 AM »
I'd take them back to the shop. You have a legal right to a refund or healthy replacements or other fish to the same value if you think the remaining phantoms might be infected. Sick fish are deemed "not fit for purpose" under the Sale of Goods Act and the shop cannot legally refuse you. If everybody returned their sick fish, shops would be more careful about selling them.

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2015, 02:33:24 PM »
Thanks for that Richard. I'll let you know what happens.

Do yo think it will be necessary for me to replace my filter media as I am assuming the virus could survive in there??

FC76

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2015, 07:29:32 PM »
Well the biggest female who had lumps has died.

I think her swim bladder must have become damaged as she began to struggle holding her tail down this morning and then by tea time she was upside down stuck in some weed, so I euthanised her using clove oil. I had a good look at her after this and I know that it sounds a bit grim but her lumps actually came off quite easily when I scraped my nail over them (very gently, even tho she was dead, I didn't want to be too rough!!)

The smaller female is showing similar 'bottom up' behaviour now so I won't be surprised if she has gone by the morning.

Am wondering whether it is worth returning the other female who has never shown signs of illness to the shop? Will see what happens next.

FC76

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2015, 01:58:18 PM »
Hi there,

Well two remaining fish have now been returned to shop and I have been given a credit note, which is fine.

The smaller fish that I was worried about yesterday was again struggling to keep her tail down today. The fish shop were very understanding and I took them the dead fish (wished I left her lumps attached tho!!) as well as the alive two.  I showed them a photo of the lumps (see above post) but needn't have worried as when we looked in the shop tank there were about five other phantoms with lumps, so I was secretly quite pleased!!  :P

They marked the whole tank as not for sale so hopefully they can sort them out, or at least prevent other people having the same issues, if not worse.  Thank God I had a quarantine tank!!!!

Anyway, alls well that ends well and I've got my bath full of my aquarium equipment soaking in bleach ( and water!)

FC76

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Lumpy fungus "

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
7 Replies
Last post August 19, 2013, 10:16:49 AM
by Cinders
10 Replies
Last post May 30, 2015, 02:28:37 PM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post July 16, 2015, 01:12:19 PM
by Extreme_One
6 Replies
Last post October 28, 2019, 11:54:51 AM
by Sue
10 Replies
Last post June 02, 2020, 06:12:30 PM
by fcmf
12 Replies
Last post July 05, 2020, 07:44:30 PM
by Beckins
11 Replies
Last post August 30, 2020, 06:19:09 PM
by Beckins

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: