Lace\Pearl Gourami's

Author Topic: Lace\Pearl Gourami's  (Read 5708 times) 3 replies

Offline Pixiecatjo

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
Lace\Pearl Gourami's
« on: September 24, 2012, 07:47:47 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Morning all, I have a male and female Lace Gourami's in my mixed community tank which is well planted, and run with an over sized external filtre, its a 180ltr tank, so two questions really, my female. Gourami looks kind of plump, being kind, they both look really health and active so is it normal that the females have a that kind of look? The one that's causing me more concern, the male is kind of aggressive to her chasing heraround the tank, especially when food is envolved, is this normal behaviour? Thanks in advance!!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Clown Loach (1) - Neon Tetra (5) - Black Molly (1) - Zebra Loach (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Lace\Pearl Gourami's
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 08:50:58 AM »
The aggression: it is normal for male gouramis to chase female gouramis. Some species have a worse reputation than others (all varieties of 3-spot and dwarfs) but that doesn't mean the less aggressive species don't do it. In a lot of fish, including gouramis, the male chasing the female stimulates egg production in the female. One possibly answer is to get another female, if you can find a shop that'll sell you a single one as most seem to sell pairs. With your tank being 180 litres there should be enough room. You would need to keep an eye out that the pair would accept the newcomer. I had a pair of honey gouramis, I got a second female and the new fish bullied both of the pair! You just never know with fish.
Is the male displaying to the female at all? I've never had pearls but I've had honeys for years. With them at the beginning of 'courtship', the male displays to the female and if she doesn't respond, he chases her. The female often ends up with a nipped tail, but it heals quickly. After a while the female will start to respond leading up to spawning after a few days. Are your pair doing anything like this? Any sign of a bubble nest?

The fat female: yes, female gouramis are usually fatter than males when mature. It's one way to tell the sexes apart in species where both look the same colour. Maybe the male's chasing is stimulating egg production. Just make sure she is plump not ill. All gouramis are prone to bacterial infections, some like dwarfs are just much more prone. Make sure her scales are lying flat and the fatness is the same on both sides. If it's just on one side, that is not a good sign.

Offline Pixiecatjo

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 01:33:00 PM »
Thanks for that Sue, I did some reading up before I got them but the but the chasing kind of worried me, the tank is well planted so there are lots of places for her to escape to, and yup she is plump on both sides so I guess his own brand of charm is working! I am oedering some floating plants tonight cause he is trying to build a bubble nest. Thanks again for the advice! If I've got this right should be a pic of said fish attatched.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Clown Loach (1) - Neon Tetra (5) - Black Molly (1) - Zebra Loach (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 07:23:42 PM »
Assuming that's the male in front, he has a lovely orange throat. If they are anything like honeys, the throat colour gets more intense when he is 'in the mood'.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Lace\Pearl Gourami's"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post August 14, 2015, 10:43:53 AM
by Extreme_One
17 Replies
Last post August 30, 2015, 08:55:21 PM
by Anne
5 Replies
Last post April 20, 2016, 04:16:37 PM
by Alex_N
5 Replies
Last post October 25, 2016, 09:20:33 PM
by Cod_only_knows
0 Replies
Last post September 18, 2017, 08:57:20 PM
by Matt
2 Replies
Last post May 20, 2018, 06:54:59 PM
by Lynne W
2 Replies
Last post December 03, 2018, 08:42:47 PM
by Lynne W

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: