Author Topic: Injured Glowlight tetra  (Read 5461 times) 8 replies

Offline Redbelly

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Injured Glowlight tetra
« on: April 28, 2017, 05:19:29 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Evening All,

I have a 64ltr tank which houses 5 x Glowlight Tetras 5 x neon tetras 1 x Betta 2 x Drawf gourami and 2 x Otocinclus and the tank is about 4 months old and everything has been running smoothly but now I have noticed that my Glowlight tetra is missing his top fin, it looks like it has been bitten off(see pic below). This is a first for me so not sure what cause of action i need to take ? Any advice would be massively apprectiated.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Injured Glowlight tetra
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 06:40:12 PM »
Glowlights and neons aren't usually fin nippers though fish can behave more aggressively if there aren't enough of them - and 5 each isn't really enough.
The other possibility is that the gourami or the betta has attacked it as they are both aggressive fish - or it could have been caught in the crossfire between the gourami and betta as they should not be housed together.

Provided no other fish nip at this tetra, extra water changes to keep the water clean should allow it to heal naturally.

Personally I would rehome the betta. A small 25 litre tank would suit it perfectly. Bettas are not good community fish as they are solitary creatures.

Offline Redbelly

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 06:59:02 PM »
Hi sue,

As always thank you for your wise words.

Do you think the tank is big enough for one more neon and one more Glowlight ?

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 07:05:21 PM »
They are small fish with small bio loads. One more of each,or even two more, won't stretch the tank too much.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 06:07:32 PM »
I agree - provided that the injured glowlight isn't showing signs of suffering (eg becoming inactive, hiding, refusing to eat), then I'd just let him heal naturally through ensuring that water is kept in optimum condition with 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite and nitrates no higher than 20ppm above whatever your tap water level is.

If you rehome the betta into a small tank of his own, which I also agree would be a good idea, then I'd err on the side of one more glowlight and one more neon tetra (rather than two of each). Otocinclus should ideally be kept in groups too - but your tank is relatively young and adding any more at present runs the risk that any additional ones may not have sufficient food as the biofilm doesn't tend to develop until 9+ months. So, at the present time, if you added one more of each of the tetras to bring their respective shoals up to 6, then it gives you the option further down the line (say in 6 months' time) of adding a couple more otocinclus.

Hope that helps.

Offline Redbelly

• Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 08:00:03 PM »
Eveing,

Today I have noticed that the other glowlights are definitely nipping at the injured glowlight. The strange thing is before his injury he was the largest out of all of them, is it a case of the others trying to become the alpha ?

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2017, 08:34:34 PM »
It could be that. But it could also be something wrong with that fish that we can't see but the other glowlights can. It is common among shoaling fish in the wild for them to kill weaker members of the shoal. Weak fish attract predators because they are easier to catch, and the healthy fish in the shoal don't want predators nearby so they kill the weak fish themselves.

Do you have a fry net that you could use to keep the attacked fish away from the others? This would also give you chance to observe the fish for any other symptoms.

Offline Redbelly

• Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2017, 08:55:35 PM »
No I dont have a fry net and untill i just googled it I didn't even know what it was but it looks like a great idea and hopefully if i keep him in that it might give him a chance to recover ?

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2017, 09:21:13 PM »
That's the idea. if the other fish can't reach him to pick at him he should heal faster. And as he's in the same tank as the others with their chemical signals in the water, he shouldn't suffer from being alone like he would be in a quarantine tank.

Tags: sue fcmf 

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Injured Glowlight tetra"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post April 28, 2013, 07:42:54 PM
by TigzFish
4 Replies
Last post February 15, 2013, 07:16:32 PM
by big g
4 Replies
Last post September 07, 2013, 04:20:15 PM
by Resa
19 Replies
Last post November 11, 2014, 02:12:47 PM
by Diz1
3 Replies
Last post September 29, 2015, 08:09:03 AM
by fcmf
17 Replies
Last post July 10, 2016, 08:57:10 PM
by Littlefish
4 Replies
Last post May 06, 2017, 11:21:13 AM
by MarquisMirage

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: