Author Topic: Pandas and sodium bicarbonate  (Read 3855 times) 6 replies

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
Pandas and sodium bicarbonate
« on: February 15, 2015, 12:14:21 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hello All,
I am a relative newbie. I mentioned on here earlier that I added 2tsp of baking soda to relieve low KH problems and an impending pH crash. It worked. I also added some finely crushed coral in a bag to the filter. As I approached "double zero", I did 1x50% & 2x66% w/c's to get rid of the baking soda and nitrates. After cycling, I added 5 otos, 5 panda corys, 10 neons and 6 ember tetras in quick succession. The tank (125L) is not overstocked. Each group of fish came from a different LFS. The pandas have never shoaled, and I have recently lost two, with no obvious signs of disease or injury. The other fish are thriving, particularly the otos.
Since cycling, I have a done 17% w/c every 3 days to keep nitrates to 20-40ppm. NH3 & NO2 are zero. I have now discovered from a senior member of staff, that the (panda) supplying LFS uses baking soda to buffer its soft water. Could this be the cause?
                                             Skittler

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Pandas and sodium bicarbonate
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 12:25:56 PM »
Baking soda should never be used with fish in the tank as the sodium is bad for them. It may be that the pandas had acclimatised to the high level of sodium in the shop tank and the lack of it in your tank has affected them. But you shouldn't add baking soda to your tank just because the pandas are used to it, the other fish wouldn't thank you.
Is there any possibility of buying pandas from a different shop?

I don't think cories shoal in the sense of being together all the time. My pygmy cories certainly don't. But they are a fish that needs a number of them to feel safe, at least half a dozen is the recommended number. As long as each cory can see or sense other cories in the vicinity it knows there is no predator around to eat it. With too few fish, their instincts are telling them that something has eaten all the other cories and could still be around - this does stress fish. it applies to all shoaling fish.

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 01:02:57 PM »
Thanks Sue,
It was my intention to buy some more today, but then I found the second one dead, so I thought I had better ask the question. As I sit here typing, the remaining 3 are enjoying some catfish pellets, so hopefully they will be OK. I used the LFS in question because it has the same tap water supply as me, whereas the otos came from one with hard water, but kept their otos in an unsightly tank with lots of algae (just like mine was after cycling). We do learn by experience! Thank you for your prompt reply, now off to a "trusted" LFS

Skittler

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 05:19:27 PM »
They keep Otos in an algae infested tank because it is their main food.  It is difficult to get them eat much else; mine wouldn't even touch algae wafers.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 10:28:25 AM »
Hello Steve,
Yes, you are quite right. I have seen otos and cories in very clean, bare tanks elsewhere. How they sell them I will never know. On the algae wafer problem, I asked the LFS what they fed the otos on, in addition to the algae in the tank. He said he uses Tetra Pleco Multi Wafers, which I bought (inevitably!). He told me to add one at "lights out", so that the other fish don't get there first, which I have been doing occasionally. It is a "2 in 1" wafer, with an algae disc in the centre. They loved the algae disc, but left the rest, which was removed. Now, I break it up and just give them the middle bit. The plan is to have an algae "standby" for when they have cleaned the tank. They are doing a first class job, and are incredibly active at night, but still have some way to go. Thanks for all the wonderful advice, this site is a first class education in fish keeping.

Skittler

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 12:30:10 PM »
Some people have success in growing algae for otos. The method is quite simple - a few rocks are placed in a glass container on a sunny windowsill (ready for when we have sun  ;) ) and maybe add a couple of drops of ammonia or fertiliser - I think Richard said a tiny bit of garden fertiliser is better that aqiarium fertiliser as it contains more nitrate. When the rocks have grown algae, put one in the tank. When the otos have eaten it all, put the rock back in the container and give the otos another one. If you use half a dozen rocks there should be enough algae to feed the otos.
And don't forget to change the rocks' water occasionally!

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 07:25:15 PM »
Thanks Sue,
I will try that when the sun appears. My odd little bungalow has only two windows, and both are north facing. So, I will perhaps try a covered jar outside.

Steve,
Another thought about feeding otos. I am watching my increased group of pandas enjoying some New Era catfish pellets.......together with 3 of the otos!  Whilst the composition includes algae, it also says "43.7% protein". I am sure that I have read somewhere that otos may not be able to digest protein......somebody ought to tell this crew. When I add the pellets, they leave the algae on the glass, and head for the pellets! Perhaps it's like ice cream and children......
                                                 Thanks for your responses,
                                                                 Skittler

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Pandas and sodium bicarbonate"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post July 07, 2015, 07:52:35 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: