Help Please. Thought My Mbuna Had White Spot But Don't Think It Is

Author Topic: Help please. Thought my Mbuna had white spot but don't think it is  (Read 4892 times) 6 replies

Offline mazzamoo

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
 :wave:
Hello. I'm hoping someone can help please. 8 days ago I noticed a couple of small white ( what looked like grains) on couple of my Mbuna.  Never had white spot before. I turned up water temp to 28 to 29, treated with waterlife protazin professional. Did the full course. On the 3rd day I did speak to LFS as the fish had more appear and they are not all round and few long bits too. They did say should be clearing up by now though and said to keep going. 6 days went by and still not clearing so another LFS said should really be gone. I treat with salt in whole tank plus rang waterlife and they said can dose another 50% more for sold 6 days. So I added first dose today. However in mean time I rang another LFS whom are very experienced and he said to send a photo via email. He rang me later and said he doesn't feel it's white spot just like I didn't cause of shape of them. He said it is parasites and said should try a fluke treatment. I just wondered if anyone else has experienced these issues or seen what's in my fish. I've added a photo. I've done decent water change do now deciding what to do. I've got sterazin by waterlife, fluke solve and kursuri worker plus. Any ideas which might be best please. Help is greatly appreciated. Oh and water parameters are all spot on and my ph Thank you Maria

Offline mazzamoo

• Fishy Member
Re: Help please. Thought my Mbuna had white spot but don't think it is
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 07:57:29 PM »
Got more photos

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 09:27:26 PM »
Hmmm, when I looked at the first photo I thought like you - that's whitespot. But the last photo particularly, I'm not at all sure. Some of the spots seem to have stalks, which doesn't look at all like whitespot. Having gone through a particularly nasty version of whitespot a few years ago I know that the spots do drop off the fish after several days. Then if you are unlucky, they get more but in different places.

Kusuri wormer plus is for internal parasites, so don't bother with that one.
Both Sterazin and Fluke Solve are for skin parasites. Fluke Solve seems to be packed to treat very large tanks. You could use either, though you should be able to get Sterazin locally but Fluke Solve will probably have to be bought on-line if that influences you.

Offline mazzamoo

• Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 09:44:07 PM »
Hi Sue thanks so much for your reply.  They do look different to white spot. I'll try my fluke solve or sterazin. I can't see it being white spot with a full course of water life as it got worse not better. Everyone has said  it definitely should if got better after a few days. Then I did water change and then a high dose of salt that done nothing.  I hope the fluke treatment works. Thanks again Sue

Offline mazzamoo

• Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 07:44:57 PM »
Hi Sue. Just to let you know. It seems like this was a parasite of some sort as I've treated fluke solve and the next morning it was lots better. Then even better today. Some still visible but not many bits. I'm so pleased and hoping I can get it fully cleared. Im going to dose it 3 times to be sure. I think in about 5 to 7 days time after a water change then another to hopefully cure it. I am bit baffled to what parasites they are though as did look bit like ich but could see it wasn't as the  longer bits. But defo didn't seem like lice and didn't look like anchor worms and I know others are not seen by the naked eye. So do you have any idea what parasites these could of been at all? It's good for future if happens again or to help other people. Thank you Maria

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 07:57:12 PM »
Glad to hear the med seems to be working  :)

It is difficult to say what they were without examining the 'things' under a microscope, but skin flukes are a possibility.

Does the med say to treat again after a certain length of time? I know that with intestinal worms you have to as the med doesn't kill the eggs so a second treatment is necessary to get the eggs once they've hatched. if this med is the same, don't forget to do the extra treatment  ;)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2018, 09:22:49 PM »
Great to hear that your fish are looking better.  :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Help please. Thought my Mbuna had white spot but don't think it is"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
7 Replies
Last post October 23, 2014, 10:08:01 PM
by lynda51
8 Replies
Last post December 10, 2014, 08:34:15 PM
by Mogwai
6 Replies
Last post February 05, 2015, 10:58:55 AM
by Richard W
2 Replies
Last post January 27, 2016, 05:23:34 PM
by AdyDnt
2 Replies
Last post February 24, 2016, 09:22:28 PM
by BlindDogStanley
12 Replies
Last post January 27, 2017, 07:28:56 PM
by Littlefish
28 Replies
Last post July 25, 2018, 04:15:11 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: