Hiding Cherry Barb 1 Of 8

Author Topic: Hiding Cherry Barb 1 of 8  (Read 11681 times) 32 replies

Offline Bazza2000

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Hiding Cherry Barb 1 of 8
« on: September 14, 2018, 07:41:12 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi, I 15 days into a fish-in cycle with 8 Cherry Barbs 4M x 4F.  1 of the males is a real bully and is taking turns with the females in frolicking in the elodea, but when he's not occupied with that, he darting around the tank attacking the other 7 Cherries and then retreating back to the Elodea and the cycle repeats.  Most of the Cherries arn't too bothers and just move away to the other side of the tank, but 1 of the males just stays under a piece of plastic and hovers and doesn't really move much.  He's missing out on feeding times and I just see him the odd time coming out and scouring the bottom of the tank for leftovers.  I did manage to feed him some blood worm, but not too sure what to do.  I've read that if you re-organise the tank decorations and plants, it resets the territory and if you make a few more hiding places that can make them less shy, but looking for anyone who's had similar experiences.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Hiding Cherry Barb 1 of 8
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 08:16:09 PM »
You could try rearranging things - this usually works with territorial fish as it forces them to set up new territories. But it may not work here because cherry barbs are not territorial fish like apistogrammas, for example. A lot of shoaling fish do form hierarchies within the shoal and the 'top fish' keeps his place by picking on the lower members. This sounds more like what is happening here.

You could try using a turkey baster to place food right in front of of the barb that's hiding.

Offline Bazza2000

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 08:26:23 PM »
Will give it a try, thanks Sue.

Offline Bazza2000

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 06:34:00 PM »
It appears things have taken a turn for the worst with my little Cherry Barb, he's not moved much for a couple of days now so I've put him in a little nursery tank off the main tank, he's not moving much and doesn't appear to be eating.  YouTube clip attached, is he a gonner, or can anyone see anything that's wrong with him that I could help?

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72NgEGAHoJQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72NgEGAHoJQ</a>

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 06:51:39 PM »
Sorry to read about this.

Is its* right eye damaged and protruding slightly? I have a couple of fish like this, caused by fighting/sparring. However, if yours also has additional symptoms of not moving and not eating, then it might be worth treating - my inkling would be with a bacterial medication such as eSHa 2000 or Waterlife Myxazin.

[* That looks more like the colouring of female than a male to me ie paler than the redder colour of the males, but I may be wrong.]

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2018, 06:55:25 PM »
His right eye looks swollen and opaque. I couldn't get a good look at his left eye in the video - is it the same as the right eye or normal?

Protruding eyes can be due to a few things.
When it affects just one eye it is usually physical damage. This can clear up by itself provided the water is kept clean.
Both eyes suggest an internal infection; some swelling inside the fish which is pushing both eyes outwards. The problem is trying to work out what is causing the infection.

I am loathe to suggest medicating the tank since it is so new - or to be precise, since the bacteria in there haven't bedded in yet. One option would be to pick up a small tank such as those plastic tanks sold for children (but take out the decor!) and some eSHa 2000 or Waterlife Myxazin and treat him in the small tank. I know the filter won't be cycled but if you do large water change each day, leave just enough water for him to be able to stay upright and add more medication afterwards he should be OK. Provided the new water is warmed to the same temp as the water you remove, such a large water change will be OK.
If you do decide on this approach, leave the light off and add some decor to the tank. Any bits and pieces will do the trick eg plastic plants and bits of drainpipe for caves. You won't need to use any substrate.

But I do need to warn you - it is quite common to lose fish shortly after purchase. They have been through a lot of stress in the last few weeks, from the breeder to the importer, to the wholesaler, to the shop and finally to your tank. It can all take its toll.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2018, 07:04:20 PM »
One option would be to pick up a small tank such as those plastic tanks sold for children
I think you mentioned you already had a couple of containers you use for water changes, so one of those would be suitable. After the course of treatment is done, you could "decontaminate" it from the medication, etc, by filling it with water and overdosing the water with dechlorinator for 24+ hours, if you wanted to reinstate it for its original purpose.

Offline Bazza2000

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2018, 07:32:12 PM »
Thanks for the info, Yes I have a 20L container I could rig up as a makeshift tank.  However, I assume I'd need a heater, pump and makeshift filter.  I had a pump delivered this morning and could use @Matt makeshift water bottle filter, but would need to buy a heater tomorrow along with the medication and then keep him in the 20L container and see how he goes.  What timescales are we looking at to see if he improves?  If its terminate, would I see it in a couple of days, or if I get him in the treated water is a few days or potentially weeks to see an improvement.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2018, 07:38:28 PM »
Could you float the container in the tank instead of using a heater for the time being?

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2018, 07:40:22 PM »
If you did a very big water change every day you could get away without a filter, but it would have to virtually all the water. With 20 litres that's do-able. A few stems of a cheap plant like elodea would help by using ammonia and providing somewhere for the fish to hide.
But you would need a heater. Or use Matt's suggestion.

Offline Bazza2000

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2018, 07:48:21 PM »
Ok, sounds like I have a plan, 20L container is too big for my tank to float, but I'll see if I can get a heater from the LFS when I go tomorrow to pick up the 4 x False Penguin Tetras and some medication.  90% water changes should be ok for a few days.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2018, 07:58:14 PM »
If your LFS is an MA, then it's most likely that this https://www.fishkeeper.co.uk/product/aquacare-anti-internal-bacteria-100ml will be the brand of medication they'll sell. (Incidentally, a while back, I think I figured out that Aquacare seems to be MA's branding of NT Labs' products.)

It does look as though both eyes are affected, unfortunately; best of luck with the treatment. Not that I want to encourage you to spend any more £ than you have to, but you might find garlic-infused brineshrimp helps stimulate the barb's appetite. It's also possible to infuse other fish food in garlic if you don't want to specifically buy this pre-prepared garlic-infused food.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2018, 07:59:35 PM »
Best of luck with your cherry barb.

Offline Sue

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2018, 08:02:21 PM »
Some medications say to dose every day, others only on certain days, missing out some days between doses.
For the dose every day type, add the med immediately after the water change.
For those that don't dose every day, immediately after the water change add enough med to treat the volume of new water (to replace the med you removed)

If you do get a tank, remove any carbon in the filter as this will adsorb medication. Some small tanks have filters where the media is nothing but a carbon filled cartridge.

Offline Bazza2000

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2018, 08:13:07 PM »
Many thanks for the advice, he looks like a fighter, so renamed him to Rocky and lets see how he does over the next few days.

Offline Bazza2000

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2018, 02:06:56 PM »
Sick Bay has been created with Myxazin treatment, a new heater, few strands of Elodea and his favourite fake coral.
He's only been in there a few minutes but looks like his eye has improved overnight in the main tank.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq7oJT6CXW8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq7oJT6CXW8</a>

Offline Sue

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2018, 02:17:49 PM »
His eyes do look a lot better. I would leave him there for the duration of the course of treatment. If it was an injury rather than an infection, the medication should help keep it clean till it heals. Don't forget to change the water every day as there's no filter.

Offline Bazza2000

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2018, 02:21:13 PM »
Yep, its a 5 day course so its his new home until Friday ;D Yep, daily water changes, +90% Tap Safe and Treatment after each change.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2018, 02:32:58 PM »
Your cherry barb does look better already, and seems to be swimming around more than previously.
Keep up the good work.  :cheers:

Offline fcmf

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2018, 02:51:56 PM »
Great; keep up the good work and ensure that you complete the treatment course, even if he seems to recuperate completely before then. Fingers crossed for him.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Hiding Cherry Barb 1 of 8"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post March 24, 2013, 06:44:46 PM
by ColinB
Cherry Barb

Started by TigzFish Gallery Showcase

4 Replies
Last post April 24, 2013, 08:58:51 AM
by Resa
3 Replies
Last post July 11, 2013, 07:09:56 PM
by hobo
13 Replies
Last post July 27, 2013, 10:03:34 AM
by ColB
3 Replies
Last post September 30, 2013, 08:39:39 AM
by ColinB
26 Replies
Last post August 04, 2016, 10:45:02 AM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post October 11, 2017, 11:20:54 AM
by Cjnmynxy

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: