Help Me Diagnose Please

Author Topic: Help me diagnose please  (Read 3303 times) 4 replies

Offline Cazzybaby

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Help me diagnose please
« on: May 28, 2014, 06:16:36 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
As you may know I've been treating my barbs with nt labs anti white spot and fungus( malachite green and formaldehyde ) as they have been showing what looks like very faint patches of discolouration/ fungus. They are due their last treatment tonight but it doesn't seem to be making any difference. I will try and attach a picture, the fish in the fore ground you can just make out some of the patches on him from about half way along his body and towards his tail. You will also notice their tails are raggy but I'm not sure if this is related or not.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Help me diagnose please
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 07:06:22 PM »
I can't see any of the white stringy stuff typical of fungus. Most of what is called fungus is actually caused by bacteria and the treatment is with an antibacterial rather than an antifungal.

This is the fungal disease. Notice the article mentions strands growing from a body wound.
But this is what most people mean by fungus, caused by bacteria.
Have a read of the two articles, especially the sections on symptoms. If you think it looks more like columnaris that saprolegnia, then you need an anti bacterial. The best two available are Myxazin by Waterlife and eSHa 2000. But you need to remove the anti fungal first and the easiest way to do this is a large water change to remove most of it then run carbon in the filter for at least 24 hours to remove the rest.
I keep a small, cheap internal filter in the cupboard for when I need to use carbon. I wrap the carbon granules in a piece of net fabric and put that inside the filter, being careful that the loose ends don't get into the impeller well.

Offline Cazzybaby

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 07:25:44 PM »
Thank you she. It does sound more like the bacterial as there aren't any of the strands mentioned. Do you think it is worth finishing of the dose for the medicine I am using or should I just stop now ? I think I have some new carbon pads I could use to take it out.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 07:35:18 PM »
I would switch over straight away, and use the carbon pads. Throw them away when their job is done.

Offline Cazzybaby

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 08:16:12 PM »
Should have said sue not she  ???

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Help me diagnose please"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
8 Replies
Last post March 07, 2015, 10:54:20 AM
by Mirage

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: