Help! Need Advice, Please?

Author Topic: Help! Need advice, please?  (Read 6738 times) 14 replies

Offline Resa

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Help! Need advice, please?
« on: September 24, 2013, 12:49:58 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi Everyone,

Well...just when you think everything is ticking along nicely, it all goes horribly wrong.

I have two seperate problems.
Firstly, one of my platys has developed a growth on her tail where it meets the body. Looking it up and going by the description, (cauliflower type growth) I think it may be lymphocystis. She is absolutely fine in herself, eating like a pig and dashing around as normal.....in fact, I have been unable to catch her! Now, there were differing thoughts on this, (if I am right with my diagnosis) they ranged from it's incurable and deadly contagious and to get her out and euthanise, to, it's not fatal, not infectious...at least not to cichlids or catfish, which I am desperately hoping is correct because of my cories, and that to just leave her alone and she will only die if bacteria enters the growth site. They advise lots of water changes to combat this. One even said that the growth will eventually drop off but if it then breaks up in the water and any other fish have a wound it could infect them. What is the proper answer, please?

My second problem is my darling Rafe. He looks to have developed a degree of pop-eye. I say looks, because it isn't hugely noticeable. However, he also seems to be not himself. He is tucking himself away under plants, he does come out when I feed, but then is either unable to see the food or just doesn't want it. He seems a tiny bit off balance too, but I suppose he would do if his eyes were out of kilter.
Again, opinions seem to vary, but water changes are suggested again.
I do very regular water changes of at least 20L every week, more often twice a week.

Is it just coincidence that I have two poorly fish or are these conditions connected?

I have obviously messed up big style somewhere, your help would be very much appreciated. I am probably going to my big LFS later this afternoon, so would be able to get any meds needed.

thanks guys.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
Re: Help! Need advice, please?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 01:20:32 PM »
Lymphocystis. My last betta had that, it started within a couple of weeks of getting him. My reading suggested it grows then bursts and it's only when it bursts that it releases spores, whatever, that infect other fish. It sounds like your fish hasn't reached that stage yet so if you remove the infected fish before the lump burst the rest should be OK. Some fish can live normal lives even with the infection but others are not well. I don't know if the was the infection or the position of the big lump that changed the behaviour of my betta - it started just next to a gill and grew into it. But he had also started growing more lumps so it might be the disease had got a bad hold and affected him.
Does this look the same?

If you can find somewhere to move the platy, it would remove the risk to your other fish. My beeta was in the 50 litre with other fish and they didn't get it.

Rafe. It doesn't sound as though he has the same as the platy, just a co-incidence in timing. How long have you had Rafe? Some bettas can be quite old when they are bought.
Pop-eye can be caused by physical damage to the eye (eg a scratch); the cure is lots of clean water. Or it can be a symptom of an internal infection. If you were in the UK I'd suggest trying Interpet Anti Internal Bacteria, but I don't know if that's available in France or if there is something better. See what you can find, you need to make sure it treats internal bacterial infections not just external ones.

Offline Resa

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 01:51:05 PM »
Hi Sue,

Thanks for getting back to me.
I had a look at your link....what a beautiful fish he was, by the way, but no, it doesn't look the same. This lump on my platy is definitely white-ish and my platy is blue, and it definitely looks cauliflowerish, almost like a lump of something calcified really. I will try and post a pic of her so you can see what I mean.
I really would like to get her away from the others but I don't have another tank...I just don't know what to do for the best for everyone. :-\

I got Rafe back in March. I have done an extra water change as I figured that couldn't hurt. I will see if I can get the meds you suggested or something similar. Do I just look for something that says internal bacteria? Or would internal parasites treatment be the same? I don't think it would be.
Also, will the meds affect my other fish and what do I do about clearing the water of it when treatment is finished? Shall I get some carbon to put in the filter? If I do this what do I do about the piece I take out to make room for the carbon bit? It would seem to be a waste of useful bugglies to just throw it. Or perhaps, it should be changed now anyway? I haven't changed any of my filter sections since I cycled the tank. They are the original ones that came with it.
As a reminder, my filter is a HOB, a Marina Slim Filter S15.

Sorry for all the questions, Sue, and thanks again.             

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 03:01:00 PM »
I think the reason the lump on my betta was blue is because he was a dragonscale. These are bettas with extra heavy scaling, looking like armour plate. I think it was this abnormal scaling that coloured the lump. When the lump burst, it was greyish white inside.
If you have nowhere to put the platy, it basically boils down to two unpalatable choices. Either leave it in the tank and take the risk that the other fish become infected too, or put the platy down. I can't think of any other course of action, I'm afraid.

You need an anti-internal bacteria med, not an anti parasite med. The latter is for things like worms which need a different chemical to kill them. Since you don't have a hospital tank you would have to treat the whole tank.
The filter manual shows a strainer sponge (which will probably house some of your bacteria even though it's primary funtion is to catch debris in the water) and a number of cartridges. Since the manual is for 3 sizes it doesn't say how many in each model, just talks in general terms. Are your cartridges the bio-carb or the bio-clear? Bio-carbs contain carbon and bio-clear's contain zeolite, both of which can remove medication. But as you've never changed the cartridges you should be OK as they'll be full and probably won't remove any meds. The problem comes at the end when you want to remove the med. Looking at the diagram in the manual there doesn't seem to be room to add any more media. The only way to get carbon in there would be to replace one cartridge - but as you say you'll throw away some bacteria and there won't be much carbon in a new cartridge, maybe not enough to remove the med. I would do several large water changes which would remove most of the med. Then there is a possible option. Make a slit in one cartridge, empty the contents and refil with loose carbon (wash the dust off first). You will lose the bacteria that are on the filling but you'll still have the ones in the casing. And with just carbon you'll be able to squeeze more inside. After a few days, empty the cartridge again to get rid of the med-laden carbon. And what I'd be inclined to do then is get a filter sponge, any make, chop it into bits and stuff it into the cartridge casing. That would give you a much better medium for the bacteria to colonise.
Another alternative would be to buy another, cheap, internal filter and put a bag of carbon in that. A piece of net fabric makes a good bag for this purpose, just make sure no loose edge can get into the impeller.

I'll be quite blunt here and say I don't like these filters that have this kind or cartridge. The carbon ones are a waste of space where good, proper media could be and zeolite has no place in a filter. It's function is to absorb ammonia, making it tricky to cycle a tank until it is full. It does have it's place, but not for permanent use in a filter.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 05:24:23 PM »
Oh no  :(

I hope it all works out for you and your fishy friends.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline jesnon

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 06:51:20 AM »
Sorry to read this Resa :-( Hope you find a solution. Could you get a cheap tank anywhere to use as a hospital tank?

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Offline Resa

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 01:25:45 AM »
OK....evening guys,

An update.....I went to the fishy shops and was unable to find any meds for internal bacteria ??? I could get stuff for internal parasites, whitespot and any number of different tonics and supplements so gave up and came home and went to the chemist to get some oil of cloves....they had sold out! They said they had a delivery coming, so I thought I would have to wait. However, when I went to my patchwork group yesterday, a couple of the girls said they had a bottle I could have, so that sorted that problem.
I had stayed up all night on Tuesday, initially trying to catch the little platy with the growth.....it certainly hadn't affected her speed! I had become quite panicked and obsessed with this thing bursting and infecting the whole tank, so I had decided that I had no choice but to take her out and put her in a small bowl with some tank water until I could get the oil of cloves. Certainly, not an ideal situation as she would be without a filter or heater. Then I stayed up as Rafe looked so poorly, a few times I thought he had gone but on moving the plant he was resting on he would swim again. I didn't want him to die and then be in the tank all night as I can do without water problems as well.
Anyway, I fully expected the little platy to have died by morning as she wasn't in a very good environment, but no, she was swimming around looking completely happy ??? Rafe also keeps having a little burst of being normal before he does his wilting over a plant.
Well. I collected the oil and came home bracing myself to do the deed. My son said, "where's the platy?" I replied, "in the little bowl", he said, "no, she's not, but there are loads of fry in there". So, I realised that she had probably been doing that silly wriggly jump and swim they do when they give birth and jumped out of the tank....on closer inspection around the tank sadly we found her. I felt terrible :(
So now I have a load of babies that I don't want to put in the main tank just in case they have a health issue, so I am going to put them to sleep. Rafe, meanwhile is still with us, no worse, no better.

Just in case I didn't have enough to worry about, yesterday Enzo, our spinone, was definitely not himself and looked very grey. His tongue was quite bluey and his gums were not the good healthy pink they should be. Now, he sometimes has a bad tummyache and is sick because he will go 'shrooming! As there are mushrooms everywhere at the moment, this was a possibility, but I felt there was more to it and that this was a different sort of poorly. So, off to the vet....and another night spent sitting up. He has tick fever. It's a horrible illness that can easily kill, you do need to get treatment quickly. Well, at least by this morning his temperature had dropped a bit and his colour was a little better. He is still quite poorly but responding to his medicine....thank goodness.
So, I am hoping for some sleep and for everything to settle down a bit...oh, and just so I don't get bored, there was a bit of a noise by the fireplace, I looked, and there was a glis glis looking at me! Otherwise known as a fat dormouse, they are really cute looking but a real bugger if you get them in the roof! We have had one before, a few years ago and one in the roof looking for somewhere cosy to spend the winter just a couple of weeks back. So now, first thing in the morning I will have to go and get a humane trap and try to put it into the logburner without the little devil getting out and loose in the house.
Poor little thing is probably getting quite hungry and thirsty. If he gets out of this alive I think he will be more careful near chimneys in future!
The kittens think it's their very own telly...with a special wildlife programme on :)

Offline jesnon

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 07:01:45 AM »
Oh dear Resa, sounds like you're not having the best time of it again! Sorry about the Platty :-( keeping my fingers crossed for Enzo and Rafe.

The glis glis sounds very cute, bet the kittens are fascinated!

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 09:07:18 AM »
I'm sorry to hear you are having such a bad time with your pets. Putting the paty and fry down is the best option considering the bug has the potential to wipe out the whole tank.
And for future reference, cover any sort of open topped container. I use a paper towel for small containers and a real towel for bigger ones. I used a paper towel over the tub containing my betta for the duration of removing his old tank and setting up his new one.

Offline Natalia

• Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2013, 05:37:37 PM »

Dear Resa,
I have been avoiding participation in your posts  - for the reasons you know about.... The ONLY reason I am posting here is the wellbeing of your fish (which deserve a fair chance as any other pets).
Your recent problems with sudden illnesses in your tank are what prompted me to post. Take it or leave it – this is not about anything but about the fact that your fish are in a lot of danger...
In a separate discussion I read, Sue described your tank as being “at capacity”. Sue was far too polite. Your tank, in fact, is SEVERELY overstocked. Think Fish Community Creator is the MOST generous fish stocking calculator known on the Internet. When your stocking levels exceed 100% on Think Fish (and boy they do!) that means you have crammed your fish in well beyond any reasonable level. Imagine squalid conditions of slums of somewhere like Mumbai or Cairo – this is what your fish are experiencing. And O.K. you do your water changes, etc. (an equivalent of the help from donations from Westerners to the developing countries) – you still cannot eliminate that fact that your fish are so crammed together that illnesses and infections will flourish....
You need to re-home about 50% of your fish to let the others to live comfortable life. I know this is not what you like to hear. It is up to you – you either keep on “entertaining” the forum with one outbreak of the disease or the other or you provide decent conditions for your pets.... Another option is getting a bigger tank but this needs to be done on an urgent basis...
Now – you can lash out at me as you did before: I don’t care. One thing I hope is that you will sit down and think...

Offline ColinB

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 08:37:00 AM »
ooo eck, Resa, you're having a tough time. Glis-glis are a real pain, even if they do look cute. We had a wasp nest in the roof I couldn't get to last year so the pest exterminator was called. "You busy" said I. "I've been doing glis-glis all year, they're everywhere!" said he.  :P

I hope your schroomin' pooch pulls through. Next time tell him to make tea with them - much better!

You need a cat like Fogarty - rats and mice a speciality. He's very cute for a razor-sharp killing machine. ;D

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Resa

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2013, 10:34:56 AM »
 Thanks Colin...yes..what fun! I actually have 2 glis glis in the logburner now!

I will be doing a fuller post soon, but another storm Saturday night....another livebox....ggrrrr!
It's too tedious doing posts from my phone.
Lets hope they have some in stock this time.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 01:47:25 PM »
...and as if to prove a point, I've just had to clear up a rat which he'd spread across the bedroom floor! Really yukky - I needed a pair of latex gloves for that one.  :P :P :P

Hey, aren't glis-glis 'Edible Doormice' and the Romans used to eat them? I'm surprised the French don't see them as a delicacy..... especially deep-fried. ;D

Offline Resa

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2013, 07:44:39 PM »
Hello Natalia,

As I have been offline for a while I had considered that maybe it was a little late in the day to do a reply to your post, but I thought as you had taken the time to write to me, I should respond irrelevant of the gap between them.

I'll take each point you raise in turn.
Your decision as to whether or not you participate in my posts is, of course, yours. I am assuming the 'reasons I know about' are referring to a much earlier exchange, when I had said that I didn't feel there was any need to be rude or unfriendly to anybody when giving advice. Incidentally, my thoughts on that haven't changed. I believe, if I am remembering correctly that you have commented that your posts may be abrupt as that is your manner of speech when doing work emails, although it seems you can be more civil, it just depends who you are writing to.
I have neither posted to you or referred to you since then, although you seem to have decided to continue with it by apologising in other posts for "popping in", a term I had used after you had said you were leaving this forum as you didn't feel you fitted in, but then returned periodically.

I appreciate your taking the time to tell me that my fish were "in a lot of danger", however, I think that your opinion on the Mumbai/Cairo slum condition that my fish were living in, was based on outdated information, perhaps arising from just 'popping in'. In a previous post I had stated that I was taking the majority of my fish to my LFS on the Friday or Saturday following, (I don't remember which). The numbers were mainly made up of fry anyway.
I agree with you that if the CC is very generous, then the number of fish I had at the time of the one platys lymphocystis and Rafe's pop-eye, was quite high, although I have done the calculation on the CC since reading your post and the figure comes out at 56 out of 60cm of fish and 93%, so not SEVERELY overstocked as you said. I am now aware, thank you for telling me, that the CC is quite generous and will remember this in future. Perhaps this is something that should be brought to the attention of other fishkeepers who come to the forum for advice and are referred to the CC. Although, I'm not sure that just because it is the most generous on the net means that it is wrong? However, I am new to this and accept your more experienced opinion on it.   

I am rather surprised that you should consider my posts asking for help with poorly fish as 'entertainment'. I think that probably says more about you than me.
You make it sound as though I have had persistant disease in my tank, when clearly, reading the posts often show people having health issues. I take exception at your implication that I don't provide decent conditions for my pets. I take, and always have, pet ownership EXTREMELY seriously! It is rather arrogant of you to make such a sweeping statement.

You will no doubt class this post as 'lashing out at you', let me assure you that this isn't the case. I have merely responded to your accusations...which could, of course, be interpreted as lashing out at me.

I will be generous to you and accept that you probably thought you were being of some help...and for that, I thank you. No matter how well intentioned though, it is still not neccessary to be unpleasant, accusatory or sarcastic.

Offline Natalia

• Fishy Member
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2013, 10:00:38 PM »
Hello Resa,
First of all – I truly applaud your resilience and will to argue... Honestly, this is a very good quality in a person – to stand by their statements/opinions...
Unfortunately, I still stand by mine... 93% stocking level according to Think Fish Calculator? Yep, sorry, - still SEVERELY overstocked...by any other calculator on the Net. Even for the Think Fish Calculator- did you not notice the red colour in the community calculator on Think Fish for 93%?
I personally rather like this calculator as it shows stocking levels which CAN be kept in any certain size aquarium with any certain size filter. HOWEVER! What I think the owner of the site has to put there is a disclaimer that the aquarist is responsible for using common sense in their routine and that the rules which are fine for 50% stocked tank are NOT the same for a 100% stocked one...
Let me explain – none of my tanks have more than 65% stocking according to TF... Hence, I can get away with weekly water changes. It gets more complicated as I am using an EI method and I don’t want to involve it in this discussion... To put things in a simple way for you: If a doctor says to a person that they are not obese as yet but very close to becoming obese, do you think that the person close to obesity CAN continue with their lifestyle? I bet you will say that they would need to make some changes NOW to avoid problems, would not you?
What I am trying to say – the calculator on Think Fish has to start posting a disclaimer saying that if your tank is in the red you need: a) reduce the number of fish or b) upgrade your filter or c) do water changes every other day. I believe that the owner of the site sort of thought that this was an obvious though but it appears it is not – judging your post...
As for Mumbai/Cairo allusion... Imagine a one bedroom flat – where you, your husband, your kids with their families are all crammed in together... You would not want his – would you? Your fish do not want that either, believe me... Whatever hygienic environment that is (e.g. with clean water, constant cleaning, etc.) all the flues and colds and any other viruses will spread there in a matter of days (if not hours)! I hope you understand what I mean – I only wish that human beings would use the same rules for their pets as they use for themselves... You are,  sadly, not the only one – this is why millions of fish die in household aquaria (mind you, that makes the fish shops thrive).
And about  your statement that I am different in my judgements depending on the people I refer to – this is an absolute nonsense. I “judge” people from what they do to cater for their fish – that is all. I am not here to make friends or to make enemies. There is Facebook for this. I am here to defend – as much as I can – the little creatures which do not have the voice and are at the mercy of people who bought them... For your information – I have lost 1 (!!!) fish in 5 years. That little fella was a wild caught one brought to the UK from across the globe and I bought him together with the other because I felt he had a right for a chance to survive if he could... I have his 16 remaining brothers and sisters – all very demanding on water quality and notoriously difficult to feed in captivity – still thriving in one of my tanks (fingers crossed). I am not telling this to boast (although I am proud of this) -  I just want to tell you (and the others) that we, humans, kill more fish than natural causes do – simply because we “want that fish” – without any consideration to what “that fish” would want to live comfortably...
As I said before – I do not care about “making friends” or “making enemies”.  I do not care about personal “scores” or going into everlasting arguments. And I don’t care what others think of me (again – this not Facebook!). One thing I care about is to educate people to stop using fish as a “decoration” to their lives and – if I start about it – any other animal in care, including cats and dogs (I have seen plenty of abuse and mistreatment there, too!)
P.S. About general “love” to animals. I have one cat – only one. Do I want more – or God, I do, and sooo much! Why I am not getting more? BECAUSE my little fluffy treasure is not easy on other animals (cats or whatever). She is a rescue which turned out to be a rejected pedigree... so she is absolutely beautiful. But she has had a very difficult life. When we got her, the rescue centre was only too pleased to get rid of her – she was scratching everybody/everything in sight and hissing all the time... She has developed into a gorgeous little thing, learnt to be a lap cat and never scratched me or my husband since we got her... The problem is – she does not like other cats (or anything else). No matter how much I would like a new kitten, I cannot betray her... So, no more cats until  her natural death – which, I hope, will not be on the agenda for another 10 years (she is 11 now, being with us for 9 years..) That is what I am trying to say – we should NOT follow our whims when it is about animals...
That’s it... Again, you can make whatever you WANT to make out of it – it does reflect your personality more than mine...

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Help! Need advice, please?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
21 Replies
Last post November 08, 2016, 11:11:09 AM
by Andy The Minion
17 Replies
Last post December 15, 2016, 05:03:23 PM
by Sue
23 Replies
Last post December 31, 2016, 02:42:20 PM
by animal_freeride
16 Replies
Last post August 04, 2017, 09:49:19 AM
by Redbelly
5 Replies
Last post September 12, 2017, 09:30:04 PM
by MarquisMirage
1 Replies
Last post October 07, 2017, 07:16:59 PM
by Sue
22 Replies
Last post February 12, 2018, 09:30:55 AM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: