Harlequin With White Lumpy Fin?

Author Topic: Harlequin with white lumpy fin?  (Read 7229 times) 10 replies

Offline RachelN76

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Harlequin with white lumpy fin?
« on: May 05, 2015, 06:01:30 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Just over a week ago we got three new harlequin rasboros to replace our kamikaze ones that seemed to enjoy leaping out of the tiny holes in the lid.  Made our harlequin count back up to five.

A couple of days ago I noticed that the smallest of the new ones had a white and lumpy 'side fin, (I'm sorry, I'm sure there's a proper name for it).  I don't recall it having that when we bought it, but I may just have not noticed.

It doesn't seem to bother it.  It's swimming around happily, it's eating OK, and as far as I can tell is otherwise healthy.  Although it doesn't seem to move that fin normally.  I can't see anything similar on any of the other fish (neons, corys and two snails).

I've tried to take photos, but it's really hard to take photos of fish that are zipping around all the time isn't it!  So it's really blurred, but I think you can see the bright white area I'm worried about.

Any ideas or advice?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Galaxy Rasbora (10) - Fiveband Barb (6) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (5) - Glowlight Tetra (10) - Zebra Danio (8) - Axelrods Rasbora (12) - Harlequin Rasbora (4) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Neon Tetra (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Harlequin with white lumpy fin?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 06:33:55 PM »
It is quite hard to tell from the photos, so some questions.

Does the lump look like it is inside the fin or on the surface?
Is it an amorphous blob or does it have sharply defined edges?
Does it look as though there is something inside the lump?

Offline RachelN76

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 06:44:41 PM »
It is quite hard to tell from the photos, so some questions.

Does the lump look like it is inside the fin or on the surface?
Is it an amorphous blob or does it have sharply defined edges?
Does it look as though there is something inside the lump?

It looks like it starts on the body, behind the fin, and extends to the fin itself.
I'd probably go with an amorphous blob, but it's difficult to tell, because it's so active.
I don't think there's anything inside it.

Also, it doesn't appear to have gotten any bigger since I first noticed it (which I guess is a good thing).

I'm sorry about the photos!  I tried for a good twenty minutes, but I'd just fed them, so they were a bit giddy.  I'll get the proper posh camera out, and try tonight when they've calmed down a bit.

Galaxy Rasbora (10) - Fiveband Barb (6) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (5) - Glowlight Tetra (10) - Zebra Danio (8) - Axelrods Rasbora (12) - Harlequin Rasbora (4) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Neon Tetra (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 06:53:56 PM »
I didn't want to put ideas into your head which is why my questions were a bit vague. And I know what it's like trying to photograph active fish  ::)

If the white had been inside the fin I would have suspected scar tissue. But as it's not, it's not that.
If the lump had been a nice smooth sphere with a white wiggly line inside, I'd have known what that was as I've had cardinals with this.

The only other thing I can think of is fungus. Oddly enough, I've just been reading of a way to treat this without treating the whole tank. If you think it is fungus, Ill tell you what it is.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 07:17:28 PM »
I'd be interested to hear that Sue even if Rachel's fish doesn't have a fungal infection

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 07:26:08 PM »
The chap on the other forum recommends this when there are fish in the tank which are sensitive to malachite green, which I've checked and is available in the UK as it's sold on Ebay.

Catch the affected fish in a net. Soak a cotton bud in malachite green then hold the net so that the fungussed part of the fish is just out of water and apply the soaked bud to the fungus till it is stained dark green. Submerge the net so the fish is under water but keep it in the net. Repeat the application after a minute, then repeat again after another minute. Then let the fish go. This chap has been keeping fish for years and years and reckons this will kill the fungus (though not the conditions which caused it to get fungus in the first place eg a wound, stress caused by being bought, poor water conditions etc).

Offline RachelN76

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 08:10:49 PM »
Right.  I spoke too soon.  One of the others has it a little bit on both side fins.  He looks less happy about it, and is constantly flicking those fins, as though it's uncomfortable and he's trying to shake whatever it is off.  His looks a bit different though.  Still white, but this time it looks as though it starts on the very tip of each fin.

So.  I've now done a water test, and now I'm panicking about that as well!

pH 6.0 - it's never been this low!  Usually around 7.6 ish!  We have very soft water around here, and I've posted before about how surprised I was about the high pH in the tank, but now it's crashed!!

Ammonia - 0-0.25. It's been stable at this level for almost a year according to my little book
Nitrite - 0. Again, stable at this for nearly a year.
Nitrate - difficult to tell because the colours are so close, but 40-80. Not usually this high.  Usually about 20

All I can think that I've done, is get a new load of filter media, but I added it to the stuff that's there, I didn't remove any.  We used to have a shell, and now we have a plant - would that make a difference?  And we have less algae than we used to.  I can't think of anything else that's changed.

I'm going to go and look at some photos of fish fungus to see if I think it looks like the culprit.

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 09:04:28 PM »
Well, the good news is that at that pH, you'd have to have a pretty high ammonia for it to affect the fish. Nitrate could do with coming down, a water change should sort that but do a small water change every day till it's down with the pH being different from your tap water.

If you removed a shell, that could have been slowly dissolving to help your KH, GH and pH be stable. You could always try a nice looking piece of limestone rock.

Offline RachelN76

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 06:02:09 PM »
Bad news. :'(

The one I noticed yesterday that had white bits on the end of both PECTORAL (thanks Steve!) fins, has died.
He did seem to be a bit distressed yesterday, but was still swimming OK, and eating fine.  But today I've come home from work, and sadly he's died.

Everyone else seems OK, including the little one with the white lump.  So I'm hoping it's a one off.  I'm a bit sad because he's the first of my fish that have died from non suicidal causes (I've had three rasboros leap out of the tank, but I think all gaps are now sealed so they can't do that any more).

I'm going to do a small water change after tea, and every day this week, and hope that whatever the water is doing, it can get back to normal.

Offline RachelN76

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 07:37:29 PM »
Sadly tiny zippy fish died yesterday. :(
I noticed he had got worse overnight, wasn't going for his food and was starting to tilt to one side.  So we euthanased him.   :'(

I'm still not sure what it was, but the remaining three are absolutely fine.  Two originals, plus one from the batch with the two deceased ones in it.  Next time I visit the place where I got them from I'm going to let them know, not to complain or anything, just because I think they need to know. 

But I need to get some more now, because I only have three, and that's not enough is it.  But now I'm a bit wary.

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2015, 02:28:37 PM »
Sorry to hear that.

Sometimes fish are sick when we buy them. They are very good at hiding the fact they are sick as sick fish get picked off by predators, and some shoaling fish even kill sick members of the shoal to avoid attracting predators. And with fish farms being big business, they don't have the time - or incentive - to remove sick fish before shipping them out.

When you go to buy more, study the fish thoroughly before buying.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Harlequin with white lumpy fin?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post January 19, 2014, 09:04:26 PM
by Sue
12 Replies
Last post January 07, 2015, 01:58:18 PM
by fishcake76
8 Replies
Last post August 21, 2015, 07:32:32 PM
by Extreme_One
7 Replies
Last post January 05, 2016, 11:09:44 AM
by Sue
11 Replies
Last post March 25, 2016, 03:54:42 PM
by Richard W
5 Replies
Last post April 20, 2017, 09:24:03 AM
by Sue
9 Replies
Last post May 19, 2018, 05:08:22 PM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: