Author Topic: Harlequin Rasbora Lower Lip  (Read 5977 times) 8 replies

Offline Baz

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Harlequin Rasbora Lower Lip
« on: March 30, 2017, 08:48:29 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi,

I have 5 Halequin Rasboras one of which has a strange lower jaw/lip. It is protruding, and looks to be "white" and its mouth is open all the time? I only noticed this tonight and do not know what to do for the best, wait or remove it? I have checked water parameters and all is okay, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite 10 - 15 nitrate and Ph 7.6>. Advice will be much appreciated.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Harlequin Rasbora (12) - Cherry Barb (12) - Rosy Tetra (2) - Fiveband Barb (8) - Rosy Tetra (8) - Harlequin Rasbora (8) - White Cloud Mountain Minnow (10) - Pearl Danio (16) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
Re: Harlequin Rasbora Lower Lip
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 09:08:47 PM »
Do you know if he was like that when you bought him?  Doesn't sound like anything I've had experience with but could be the result of inbreeding.

Offline Baz

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 10:29:04 PM »
Hi,

No, all were okay. Looking closely it looks like either the top lip is "missing" or the lower lip / jaw is protruding?
I can not see any obvious infection like a fungal issue. Having done a little "googleing" it seems that it could be a form of "lock jaw", a "dislocated jaw" or, which I sincerely hope it isn't, and that is columnaris. He didn't seem interested in food this evening and has distanced itself somewhat from the others and seems very "lethargic"? The other Harlequins and the Rosy Tetras seem fine. I have some ESHA 2000 arriving tomorrow so I will administer it after a good water change.

Harlequin Rasbora (12) - Cherry Barb (12) - Rosy Tetra (2) - Fiveband Barb (8) - Rosy Tetra (8) - Harlequin Rasbora (8) - White Cloud Mountain Minnow (10) - Pearl Danio (16) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Baz

• Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 11:43:10 AM »
Hi,

I have administered two doses of ESHA 2000, third one tomorrow, difficult to tell if anything is happening? I m still not sure if there is something wrong with respect to a disease of any kind? The individual fish has definitely been "sent to Coventry" by the others, he is separated from the group and is on his own much of the time. One good thing though, he did go for some food last evening.

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 12:13:38 PM »
It's never nice to see a fish separated from the others, but glad to hear that he has eaten.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Offline fish-friends

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 11:09:17 PM »
Aww I hope he makes it back into the group I had a Cory that just sat on a leaf all the time on his own and I was sure he wasn't going to make it but then a few days later he was back to Normal swimming and eating with his friends  :fishy1: :fishy1:
Fingers crossed  :)

Offline Baz

• Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 08:56:14 PM »
Hi,

Unfortunately my fish passed last night, found him on the bottom of the tank this morning. Will get another 5 or 6 to make a larger group but finding it difficult to locate the Harlequin Rasbora, I can find other similar looking types of the Harlequin but not the same?

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 09:40:20 PM »
I'm sorry to hear that.

There are two related species. Harlequins are Trigonostigma heteromorpha, and the other two are T. espei (slender rasbora, lambchop rasbora, Espe's rasbora) and T. hengeli (copper rasbora, Hengel's rasbora, porkchop rasbora). But it is better to get the same species.
There is also a colour morph of the harlequin called purple rasbora, black rasbora, orange nose rasbora etc. They have very dark bodies in which the black marking is only just visible, and orange noses. These are the same species and would mix with ordinary harlequins.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2017, 09:06:31 AM »
Sorry to hear that you fish has passed.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Harlequin Rasbora Lower Lip"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
7 Replies
Last post August 30, 2013, 05:30:26 PM
by suep
3 Replies
Last post January 19, 2014, 09:04:26 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post November 29, 2014, 08:45:41 AM
by Richard W
11 Replies
Last post March 25, 2016, 03:54:42 PM
by Richard W
27 Replies
Last post June 17, 2016, 12:20:55 PM
by Sue
15 Replies
Last post May 21, 2017, 08:36:08 PM
by TrenchyLs
17 Replies
Last post October 08, 2019, 04:20:29 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: