• Likes On This Users Post 0
Fingers crossed here also!  :fishy1:

Offline Bazza2000

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Re: Hiding Cherry Barb 1 of 8
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2018, 09:34:27 PM »
Water change done.  I did take him out and replace the lot as I'd left blood worm and flakes on the bottom just in case he stumbled across them as I don't think he can see too much in the light with his cloudy eye.  Seems to be more active once the lights are out.  Anyway, he doesn't seem as active today, just shuffling around on the bottom.  I've left flakes around again so hopefully he'll eat something to keep him going.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFK_YCyKZ2g" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFK_YCyKZ2g</a>

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2018, 09:49:00 PM »
Don't over feed him as that will make the water go bad quickly. Fish don't need as much food as you'd think. Compared to mammals they need very little because we use most of our food to maintain our body temperature. Fish don't do that.

Offline Bazza2000

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2018, 10:03:35 PM »
Don't over feed him as that will make the water go bad quickly. Fish don't need as much food as you'd think. Compared to mammals they need very little because we use most of our food to maintain our body temperature. Fish don't do that.
Understood, theres not a lot in there and just wanted to scatter it around in case he can't see and he'll stumble on it as he moved around the space.  Will siphon it out with tomorrows water change before adding fresh.

Offline Bazza2000

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2018, 07:37:26 AM »
Sorry to report, we lost Rocky overnight. He had been deteriating over that past couple of days, hiding and not really moving much except for the water changes where he would spring into life for a few moments. Just wanted to say thanks for all the advice, it gave him a fighting chance. Just wonder if I could have noticed his symptoms earlier it might have been better, but I know it's If and buts and sometimes these things just happen. Kids are in bits, but I suppose it all part of keeping fish. The highs and the lows. RIP Rocky!   :fishy1:

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2018, 07:54:41 AM »
Sorry to hear about Rocky.  :(

Offline Sue

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2018, 09:12:31 AM »
I'm sorry to hear that. I know it is upsetting to loose a fish, but it is worse for children.

You did everything you could for him. Even if you'd found symptoms earlier it probably would have had the same outcome. Fish are experts in hiding the fact they are sick. By the time internal problems begin to show, it is often too late for us to save them.

Offline Bazza2000

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2018, 05:22:27 PM »
just wanting to check, the container I was using as a sick bay, is it okay to re-use, or should I chuck it just to be safe?  I've only had the water, tap-safe and the treatment in it for the past few days.  Just wondering if there was some other infection Rocky had that may contaminate the water during future water changes?

Offline Sue

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2018, 06:41:39 PM »
The way to clean the tub, and anything plastic that was inside it, is to wash it with bleach. Use supermarket basic range bleach, the stuff that costs a few pence a bottle, or baby bottle sterilising solution. Neither of these contain detergent or perfume; more expensive bleach contains both. After a thorough washing, rinse, rinse and rinse again, then rinse with water that has been overdosed with dechlorinator. Then let everything dry thoroughly.

The fish in the main tank will already have been exposed to any infection, but it is not a good idea to treat the tank 'as a precaution'. All the chemicals we add to a tank end up inside the fish, and a lot of medications do cause some stress to the fish. It is much better to only add medication if there is an illness, and then preferably in a separate container. There are a couple of conditions where the whole tank has to be treated (eg whitespot, internal worms) because the cause of the illness is in the water, but your barb did not have either of these.
With other infections the usual way these are passed on is by healthy fish eating a dead infected fish. You had the barb separated so no other fish could have eaten him.

For many years, whenever I buy shoaling fish I buy 2 or 3 more than I actually want because it is so common to to lose one or two within a few weeks of getting them. I think your barb shoal has been a victim of this.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2018, 08:00:01 PM »
Very sorry to read of this sad news about your barb Rocky, @Bazza2000 - I do empathise with how upsetting this is and all the questions that ensue afterwards about what else could have caused it, been done, etc.  :'( 

Hopefully, the bad luck is behind you (albeit there's no guarantee of this) and the rest of the barb shoal and your penguins will be fine; fingers crossed for you.

Offline Bazza2000

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2018, 08:49:49 PM »
Thanks for all the kind words, kids are in bits, but they seem to be improving since I told them Rocky was now with Nanny in heaven, so hopefully on the road to dealing with the loss.

Just on the subject of Bleach, I'm paranoid after reading a lot of horror stories across forums about taking out a whole aquarium of fish with the wrong product.  Can someone let me know if either of these are suitable to bleach everything I used for Rocky?

ASDA Smart Price Thin Bleach
https://groceries.asda.com/product/bleach-disinfectants/asda-smart-price-thin-bleach/1104797

Milton Sterilising Fluid
https://groceries.asda.com/product/cleaning-sterilsers/milton-sterilising-fluid/910000033527

Thanks.

Offline Sue

« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2018, 08:59:28 PM »
Use either of those on just the tub that Rocky was in and the fake coral; throw away the elodea and wipe down the glass part of the heater (I don't like to risk bleach on the plastic part where the wire goes in). Dilute the Asda bleach one part bleach with 9 parts water (a 1 in 10 solution) or make up the Milton as per the instructions.

Do not put it anywhere near the main tank.

Bleach is just a source of chlorine. If you rinse whatever you have used it on until you are fed up with rinsing it, then rinse again in water overdosed with dechlorinator, that should remove every trace. Allowing everything to dry totally will also make sure there is no bleach left next time you use the tub, which we hope will be a long time away.

Bleach will not only kill the fish, it will kill the filter bacteria which is why the water company adds chlorine to the water supply. Keep it well away from your main tank.
I once had a betta which died of lymphocystis. I could not risk another betta catching this virus, so I bleached everything - tank, filter casing, heater. I threw away all the decor (live plants and wood) and the filter media. Then bought new decor, plants and filter media and re-cycled the tank. The next betta was fine - he didn't get lymphocystis or die from bleach poisoning.

Offline Bazza2000

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2018, 10:00:17 PM »
Thanks Sue. I'm gonna repurpose the container for non-fish stuff, I've chucked the coral it was only a few quid anyway and can't imagine how I'll guarentee to clean every piece of it.  The heater is the only thing that I'll be keeping for fish related stuff so I'll bleach that and the siphon kit. 

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Hiding Cherry Barb 1 of 8"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post March 24, 2013, 06:44:46 PM
by ColinB
Cherry Barb

Started by TigzFish Gallery Showcase

4 Replies
Last post April 24, 2013, 08:58:51 AM
by Resa
3 Replies
Last post July 11, 2013, 07:09:56 PM
by hobo
13 Replies
Last post July 27, 2013, 10:03:34 AM
by ColB
3 Replies
Last post September 30, 2013, 08:39:39 AM
by ColinB
26 Replies
Last post August 04, 2016, 10:45:02 AM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post October 11, 2017, 11:20:54 AM
by Cjnmynxy

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: