Gourami Virus?

Author Topic: Gourami Virus?  (Read 6167 times) 14 replies

Offline Trish

• Super Fishy Member
Gourami Virus?
« on: October 07, 2016, 02:02:03 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi All,

Some of you may remember that I got some Honey Gouramies a few months ago.

I suspected that the "male" was not a honey, as "he" looked very different from the natural female.

I am almost sure that the male honey is actually a female Dwarf Sunset or Red Robin, as, when I returned to P & H sometime after buying my fish, there in the tank with the natural Honeys, were male and female Dwarf Red Robins, and the females were very like my own fish.

Anyway, this fish, whatever it is, has slowly gone from a lovely rusty orange, to a very pale colour. It also looks a bit lumpy, and the abdomen looks a bit swollen. This has taken place very gradually, but all the time it was eating and active, I haven't been too worried.

However, yesterday, it didn't seem too interested in eating, and today, the poor thing is lying on the bottom of the tank, or hiding. It also has pale patches on the body ( not fluffy, but as part of the colouration) and seems to be breathing heavily, ( if that makes sense).

I'm worried that it has the dreaded virus that Dwarf Gouramis suffer from, and also worried about the Honey Gourami catching it.

I know there is no cure for this disease, and don't know what to do for the best.

My water has all tested OK and all the other fish seem to be their usual self.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Gourami Virus?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 02:33:18 PM »
The first thing to say is that red robins are not pure dwarf gouramis. There are various theories as to what they are - honey gourami colour variants, honey-dwarf hybrids, honey-thick lipped gourami hybrids and so on. Males of the sunset colour of dwarf gourami usually have a turquoise dorsal fin.
The main symptoms of dwarf gourami disease are bloody sores and loss of appetite. You don't mention sores so I assume your fish doesn't have any, just loss of appetite, faded colours and listlessness. But dwarf gouramis are susceptible to lots of other infections, and honeys can be as bad. They've both been inbred for colour and farming conditions in the Far East do leave a lot to be desired.

However, given the symptoms you describe and the risk that it is dwarf gourami disease, this is one occasion where putting the fish down is the best way to go. Then watch the other gouramis. And don't get any more till you are certain these are OK.

To put a fish down you need a bottle of clove oil, a tub and bottle/jar with a tight fitting lid that you'll never need again; and a pair of rubber gloves is a good idea as clove oil is smelly. Clove oil can be bought from pharmacies; mine keeps it with the toothache remedies.
Put the fish in the tub with some tank water, enough to cover the fish completely. Put 25 drops of clove oil into the bottle/jar, add some water and shake until the oil has dispersed. Add the water/oil mixture to the tub with the fish a little at a time until it has all been added. By this time the fish should be lying unconscious on the bottom of the tub. Leave it there for a few hours before disposing of the body. Clove oil is a fish anaesthetic which puts the fish to sleep then kills it when overdosed. Leaving it for a few hours ensures that the fish is actually dead.

Offline Trish

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 02:50:49 PM »
Thanks Sue,

I won't be able to get to the shops until tomorrow  :(

I feel terrible that I won't be able to put it out of its misery until then.

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 03:00:07 PM »
There are other methods that you could do now, but they are not for the squeamish. Stop reading now if you don't want to know.

Prepare everything in advance so you can be as quick as possible.
Catch the fish and put it inside a plastic bag. Using some thing hard and heavy, hit the fish's head to destroy the brain. If the time between catching the fish and killing it is kept very short, it is a humane method as the fish won't have time to become stressed.

Offline Trish

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 03:04:16 PM »
I don't think I can do that, but thank you anyway, for your help, I really appreciate it.

Offline Trish

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 04:40:14 PM »
I managed to get a friend to bring me some clove oil, and I have now put my little Gourami to sleep  :'(

Really sad, but at least he/she is not suffering.

One of the Harlies had a narrow escape, as he managed to get in the net, as well :yikes:

Thanks again for your help, Sue.

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 04:47:28 PM »
I'm glad to hear that you've managed to end his suffering but sorry that it needed to happen.

Clove oil is something I make sure I have in the cupboard, just in case.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2016, 05:22:06 PM »
@Trish so sorry to hear that you had to resort to drastic measures.

Offline Trish

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2016, 05:28:51 PM »
Thanks Donna,

It was the right thing to do, he really was looking poorly. I just feel a bit sad that such a lovely little fish had to be put to sleep.

Except for the colour fading, he went downhill in a matter of days. One minute he was up there with the rest of them, greedily fighting for food, and then a few days later, he is lying on the bottom of the tank.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2016, 05:53:01 PM »
It's so easy to get attached to fish, and never easy to lose one.
It was the right thing to do, although it's difficult to put the comfort of the fish before feelings of wanting to try to make things better. It is very tough decision to make, but the welfare of the fish has to be a priority.
A very sad situation.

Offline Trish

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2016, 11:43:22 AM »
Just wondered, Sue,

Does this virus only affect Anabantoids?

I was thinking of getting some Lemon Tetras on Monday, but should I leave it for a few weeks ?

Offline Sue

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2016, 12:03:26 PM »
It definitely affects dwarf gouramis and possibly other gourami species as well. But it doesn't appear to affect non-gourami species. Or at least there have been no reports of that I have found.

Lemon tetras should be fine.

Offline Trish

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2016, 12:06:20 PM »
Good to know, thanks Sue.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2016, 01:00:01 PM »
Very sorry to read of this sad situation, Trish - it's absolutely horrible when this occurs. However, it was clear that there was no other option in this situation - but well done for administering the clove oil (I've never been able to do this but I think once it's been done once, it makes it easier to do in future).

[Just made the mistake of reading Sue's alternative option while eating my lunch - I really ought to have heeded the advice in her opening line...]

Offline Trish

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2016, 01:10:32 PM »
Thanks fcmf,

Yes, the second option just wasn't something I could do.  :yikes:

The clove oil option wasn't too stressful for me or the fish. He was very weak and ill, which made him easy to net.
Within seconds, he fell asleep and I added the full amount of the mixture, covered the tub with a towel, and left him for a few hours. I just felt sad and a bit weepy, to be honest. But I knew I was doing the best thing for the fish, which helped, a lot.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Gourami Virus?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
7 Replies
Last post July 01, 2013, 12:53:59 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post February 01, 2014, 03:45:23 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post February 27, 2014, 03:42:56 PM
by Richard W
9 Replies
Last post June 04, 2014, 11:15:45 AM
by chris213
2 Replies
Last post June 20, 2015, 09:11:33 PM
by Adrian G
20 Replies
Last post September 02, 2015, 09:18:24 PM
by Sue
13 Replies
Last post June 27, 2016, 01:21:53 PM
by Fiona

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: