Gourami Hole In Fin - To Quarantine Or No?

Author Topic: Gourami hole in fin - to quarantine or no?  (Read 7887 times) 21 replies

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Gourami hole in fin - to quarantine or no?
« on: November 12, 2018, 02:22:59 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
hi all has been pretty quite in tank land, everyone has settled back down after the two barb deaths and the white spot on one of the gourami's nose went away.

However one of the gourami's has now got herself I think into a fight or something, she had a cut on her side and damage to her bottom fin. Anyhow I've just been keeping an eye on her as I wonder if putting her in quarantine is more stressful.

So for the last two weeks all has been well and the damage did look like it was healing especially on her side, however her fin now has quite a big hole and looking quite inflamed as you can see from the photo.

So do I just keep monitoring or should I move her, she is behaving totally normally in every other way. What do you think?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Rummy Nose Tetra (16) - Harlequin Rasbora (14) - Panda Cory (3) - Fiveband Barb (14) - Pearl Gourami (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Gourami hole in fin - to quarantine or no?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 03:07:01 PM »
Since the fin has got worse I would move her to the quarantine/hospital tank and use eSHa 2000 or Myxazin by Waterlife in there. Do a water change every day and if the med says to dose every day, do that after the water change. If the med is not dosed every day, after the water change add enough med for the volume of new water only.
If you have any silk plants, use those in the hospital tank to make her feel more secure.

Fingers crossed.

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 03:41:26 PM »
thanks Sue that's where my head was going, so good to get a similar view. I'll report back once something changes.

Rummy Nose Tetra (16) - Harlequin Rasbora (14) - Panda Cory (3) - Fiveband Barb (14) - Pearl Gourami (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 09:52:06 PM »
I agree with Sue's suggested course of action... let us know how you get on.

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 10:35:19 PM »
If you use Myxazin do not do a water change till after day 5, since Myxazin is a cumulative medicine, in that the dosage is built up gradually over a few days.

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 08:43:46 AM »
That's very useful to know, thanks Hampalong.

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 08:46:30 PM »
hiya thanks for the advice, my problem is I can't actually get her out the tank, I've tried last night and again tonight, think she's wise to me now. What's the risks issues if I actually dose the main tank. I get the sense it's not recommended but I'm kind of at a loss her fins aren't improving so need to do something. I was planning on using esha 2000.

ta

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2018, 08:50:17 PM »
Catching a fish is never easy in a tank with decor/plants and is stressful for both parties.   :vcross: Have you tried luring her into a container with a piece of food as an alternative method. It would be preferable not to treat the main tank...

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2018, 08:52:05 PM »
The problem with dosing the main tank is the other fish get unnecessary treatment, and all the chemicals we add to a tank can harm healthy fish long term. With a sick fish this is of little importance as without it the fish could well die.

Have you tried using two nets, or even one net and a glass container, and herding the fish into one net/glass using the other net?

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2018, 08:54:52 PM »
thank I'll keep trying just wanted to check dosing main tank wasn't an option, I'll let you know if I get her.

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2018, 09:11:13 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
finally got her, combo approach of two next and some food in the bigger net, I'm exhausted, is that normal :vcross:just got her a minute before the light went out. She seems OK in the wee tank I've covered her up and leave her be till tomorrow.

Thanks guys just sharing stopped me from going into totally meltdown  :yikes:

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2018, 09:26:10 PM »
I'm exhausted, is that normal :vcross:
Yes, I've had immense trouble catching some fish who seem to be fantastic escape artists (x-ray tetras in particular), while those I don't want to catch often volunteer to be caught.  ::) 

I actually bought a sort-of rectangular-shaped plastic jug specifically to help with my efforts ie it can be pushed up against the glass of the aquarium and the fish herded into it, without them escaping so easily round the sides of a circular-shaped plastic jug.  Herding them into a green net is allegedly easier than into a blue net as they may assume it's plants/foliage, so that's another option for you. Good shout from Matt re the food - note to self for future reference.

All the best with the treatment.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2018, 09:39:50 PM »
Heck yes, catching fish can be very challenging.
Even after reducing the water level, and using 2 nets while telling the fish it's for their own good, I'm often completely wiped out.
Worth treating yourself to a cup of tea (or something stringer, depending on how stressful it has been).

Well done for persevering, and unless it's an absolute emergency, it can often be a good idea to let the fish settle overnight before starting treatment.

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2018, 07:31:25 PM »
hiya update time.

She's been in the hospital tank for 3 days now, not sure she's doing that good, as she's no longer eating and although her scars haven't got any worse, don't think they've actually got any better.

She's had the three doses of eSha 2000 so do I just leave it now and see how she gets on with doing daily water changes?

Any ideas on how to get her to eat?

Thanks again.

Offline Sue

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2018, 08:14:41 PM »
If pearl gouramis are anything like bettas, try bloodworm. Or soak her food in garlic puree. Soak bloodworm in garlic puree!

My betta had finrot. I wasn't well myself and it got really bad before it sunk in that I needed to treat him. I used eSHa 2000 for a week at the day 1 dose. His tail has stopped disintegrating, and seems to be regrowing slowly. The double dose for days 2 to 7 doesn't appear to have harmed him. If your gourami is still not good, perhaps try this?

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2018, 08:39:54 PM »
cool, cheers Sue I'll try that!

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2018, 08:24:32 AM »
 :'( sad new my beautiful girl didn't make it. Came down this morning and she's away. Totally gutted, think I left it too long before trying to do anything for her and she got secondary infection of fungus by the looks of it and also really swollen bellow, so assuming dropsy? At least she didn't linger too long.

Note to self act quicker next time.

Thanks for all your advice.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2018, 08:58:39 AM »
Very sorry to read about this after all your efforts.  :'(

A couple of thoughts occur to me but, if you didn't do these, NB I don't think they would have affected this sad outcome any differently, but they might be useful for when treating in the future:
* move a portion of filter media from the main tank's filter into the hospital tank's filter (to ensure that it has the necessary bacteria to process the fish's waste);
* treatment with eSHa 2000 would almost certainly be at the double dose level due to the soft water in Scotland.

Again, sorry about your sad outcome.

Offline Sue

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2018, 09:25:12 AM »
I'm sorry to hear that  :( You did the best you could.

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2018, 10:12:49 AM »
Thanks for your kind wishes, I did move the some filter media into the hospital tank, but I didn’t notice the instruction re the soft water dose, which is to double it, on the leaflet till last night which by then was probably too late  :-\ . Another note to self - read all the instructions carefully!!

Every day’s a school day, thanks again.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Gourami hole in fin - to quarantine or no?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post August 08, 2014, 04:02:54 PM
by Diz1
3 Replies
Last post September 21, 2014, 07:40:47 PM
by Puffin
6 Replies
Last post January 15, 2015, 04:02:08 PM
by Sanjo
4 Replies
Last post June 12, 2015, 11:20:01 AM
by Sue
14 Replies
Last post February 10, 2016, 10:57:24 AM
by Extreme_One
7 Replies
Last post August 02, 2016, 10:07:05 AM
by Paddyc
6 Replies
Last post August 19, 2018, 05:40:28 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: