Boesmani With White Fluffy Growth On Upper Lip

Author Topic: Boesmani with white fluffy growth on upper lip  (Read 9637 times) 9 replies

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
Boesmani with white fluffy growth on upper lip
« on: February 13, 2013, 05:45:34 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi,
One of my Boesmani Rainbow fish has a small white fluffy spot on or just behind its upper lip.

The only things I have changed recently is my water changes from twice weekly to once weekly. I have also changed to TNC complete fertilizer and upped my liquid carbon to 4.5ml to help with the eradication of algae,which is an overdose of 1.5ml. I increased the dose slowly over 1 - 2 weeks. Oh nearly forgot to mention the only "new" additions have been four nerite snails.

Would myxazin treat it?? as that is all I have in my cupboard at the moment, also there is no mention on the bottle about snails having to be removed!!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Bristlenose Plec (2) - Golden Barb (8) - Angelfish (8) - Platy (8) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Panda Cory (8) - Rosy Barb (7) - Boeseman's Rainbowfish (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Boesmani with white fluffy growth on upper lip
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 07:22:06 PM »
I'm not sure what is wrong with the rainbow I'm afraid. But I do know that all rainbows like very clean water, so the reduction in water changes could be having an effect. I've seen it recommended that rainbows need 50% a week min.

I always remove my nerites regardless of what the bottle says. I've killed a few over the years so now it's better safe than sorry. I do have the advantage of 3 tanks, and a quarantine if absolutely necessary (like the time I managed to contaminate all three with whitespot  :o )

Offline Natalia

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 08:00:35 PM »
Hi Mervin,
Please, have a look at the photo I attached. Does your fish lip look similar? If it is – this is not an illness: please, do not use medications. This is a very common thing within rainbows and is caused by two main reasons: 1) rainbows are active fish and sometimes just fail to “put brakes on” and bump into glass or objects; 2) they also are sensitive to too much of Nitrate. In the post about plants, I remember, I mentioned that your tap water Nitrates are sufficient for your tank so full spectrum fertilizer was not really needed...
In any case, this is not a fungus, and it does not need treating as such. Just leave it. Probably it would be wise to withdraw your full spectrum fert and increase your weekly water changes by 5-10% for a few weeks.
Honestly, the Internet is full of the photographs of thriving rainbows in various tanks which have the same “illness”...
On the water changes for rainbows – yes, Sue is right: some think 50% a week is good. Again, it depends on the size of the tank, filtration, bioload and plants. Weekly water changes are very good for rainbows but I do about 30-45% weekly and I also dose EI for which the same water changes are recommended to remove the accumulated organic compound to free the way for new batch of inorganic salts dosing. My rainbows are doing fine and yes, they get these little white blotches occasionally but these then go away – this is like a human bruise.
P.S and Edit: the picture of the fish is not mine - just from the Internet.

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 08:22:09 AM »
Hi all,
Thanks Sue and Natalia.
@Natalia....I am so sorry I should have mentioned in the plants section that I use a Pozzani Nitrate filter, although my tap water comes out at 40ppm after going through the pozzani it comes out at 0ppm.

Therefore should I still stop using the "complete" fert?

Should have posted my readings yesterday but here they are from this morning. Amm 0ppm, Nitrite 0ppm, Nitrate about 15ppm...The colour is more 10ppm than 20ppm. I am due a water change tomorrow and I change 30% of the water.

The photo has a similarity to what my fish has...but the white "fluffy" bit on my rainbow seems more pronounced....by that I mean it is "raised" and is pure white. I will try and grab a photo when the lights come on and if the fish will stay still long enough for me to take a photo.  ;)                       

Bristlenose Plec (2) - Golden Barb (8) - Angelfish (8) - Platy (8) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Panda Cory (8) - Rosy Barb (7) - Boeseman's Rainbowfish (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 09:07:22 AM »
Here are two photo's of the fish. Apologies for the dirty glass....needs cleaning but can only see it on the blown up pics!  ;)

Offline Natalia

• Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 06:42:24 PM »
Hi Mervyn,
I must admit – I never knew about the Pozzani filter. I just had a quick look on the Internet (too quick, possibly) – I understand that the filter removes Chlorine/Chloramine (? – I am guessing so), heavy metals but does not remove the mineral content (e.g. Calcium/Magnesium) – am I right to think so? If “yes” is an answer, this is quite a good one – I use a DI filter which removes everything nearly as much as a RO filter for topping up evaporation in my tanks and sometimes for water changes (with mineral salts added, of course, to return the water to the state it can be used for an aquarium). In this case, of course, the “complete” fert is a must.
At least, we have just eliminated the “Nitrate” part of what could be wrong with your rainbow. The one which is left is the “fish equivalent of a human bruise” thing.... Although, I must admit, the pictures of your fish look a little bit more than I have ever seen with this sort of injuries, it may be just a severe case... Fungus infection “fluffiness”  does look like a cotton wool with very fine strands sticking out – and I cannot quite see it on the photographs. Also, I cannot see a reason why a fungus would suddenly manifest itself in your tank – I can see it is very well maintained. There is a very slight chance of Columnaris being introduced with Nerites into your tank (snails are not affected but can carry the spores). However, I have a trust in your supplier – they could not possible send you snails from a holding tank where the fish are infected!  If it was Columnaris, I would expect more than one fish being infected...
So, for the time being I would stick to just observing the fish and doing nothing but regular and slightly larger water changes (please, dose your “complete” fert). I hate uncontrollable medicating of the fish tanks – it does not help, it makes fish weaker, reduces their immune system capacity of fighting future diseases and treating with a wrong medication on impulse may even kill the fish (and then people say “oh, well, you did you best, a shame your fish did not pull through”). Treating a fish is only good when you are SURE you know what is wrong.
I will tell you my own recent story. One of my rainbows developed a white patch on her back. I was not quite sure if it was just that her scales gone damaged (rushing through a big bit of redmoor root in the tank) or whether it was a fungus (which would be REALLY strange as I did not add any new fish for months and the routine was always the same). The rainbow was otherwise very active, boisterous even and feeding extremely well. So, I left her to be. Her white patch have disappeared within 3 weeks getting smaller every day... So, I am going with a physical damage rather than a fungal infection.
I suggest you do the same at the time being. ONLY if you notice any change of the behaviour of the affected fish and the fact that the “white lip” is increasing in size may be the time to act...
Personally, I honestly think that your fish just had a very severe bruise – I am not claiming I am right but I would not rush into medicating as yet.
One point – I have mentioned this before on the “new” forum: if you want to spend some money, do buy a UV filter. This filter does not have to be switched on all the time (I’d rather not) but in situations like yours a UV filter is much much better than ANY medication!  Also, a UV filter eliminates the need for a quarantine tank – you can add new  fish straight in and even if they are infected with, say, white spot, you do not need to do anything – the infected fish will recover (mortality is close to zero) and the white spot will be eradicated without meds which are nasty and plus stain your carpets and your silicone!  (I remember I had to “confront” Sue in that post about UV filters but I stand to what I said – confirmed by personal experience!).

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 06:55:50 PM »
Natalia, my main concern with UV filters is using them 24/7. You just said not to use one all the time - this would avoid any problems of using 24/7.

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 04:45:46 AM »
Hi,
Thanks once again for your help and suggestions.

I think you are right about leaving the fish for the time being. I too hate adding any chemicals to the tank and I even was originally very wary of even adding fert in the beginning.

The rainbow is acting normally and interacting as normal with the other rainbow  and feeding normally etc.

As for the UV, I will have a serious think about it but,  as far as I can see a decent one would not be particularly cheap, and I am concerned that I would find fitting one to my existing Eheim not particularly easy. I would also have to save my pennies up.

Thanks again.

Offline brecon

• Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 12:25:35 PM »
Hi Mervyn

Just some thoughts on how I got rid of this problem.

It started with a fish I bought from an LFS and could  not see at the time that it had mouth fungus. I had bought from them before and they had always sold great fish. Anyway I got a Boesman with it and it infected all my other rainbows with a disaster that I lost a couple of large Blues. Anyway to cure I did try Myxazin at the recommended dose. No luck after the first go in a hospital tank. Anyway looked back on some notes and saw that raising the temperature to about 28 degrees C can get rid of it. Bingo, I don't know if I just was lucky but it seems to have gone for good. My only caution would be raising the temperature is okay but do it gradually and then leave them in for about a week to ten days and then lower it again. If there are other fish just watch the mix of temperatures needed. I would not not normally mess with this but it would not go any other way. Hope this helps

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 12:37:19 PM »
Thanks brecon.
I have been keeping a close eye and it has not worsened and all my other fish including rainbows are (crossed fingers) ok.

But will keep in mind the Temp trick. Especially if Myxazin does not work.

Thanks

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Boesmani with white fluffy growth on upper lip"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post May 17, 2014, 06:39:08 AM
by Richard W
9 Replies
Last post August 18, 2014, 11:49:13 AM
by Fiona
6 Replies
Last post May 27, 2016, 10:25:34 PM
by mazzamoo
10 Replies
Last post September 22, 2016, 08:00:12 PM
by fcmf
18 Replies
Last post September 06, 2017, 07:13:55 PM
by Dr Um
4 Replies
Last post January 26, 2018, 07:11:02 PM
by Lynne W
3 Replies
Last post January 30, 2018, 09:09:13 AM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: