Fish Poo...again!

Author Topic: Fish poo...again!  (Read 9205 times) 23 replies

Offline jesnon

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Fish poo...again!
« on: August 18, 2013, 10:16:30 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Sorry guys!

I'll be honest the last few weeks some of my fish have looked a bit 'washed out' and paler than the vibrant colours I remembered (the three tiger endlers). ive also been somewhat suspicious of their stringy poo.

Well just now I noticed Cat has what i can only describe as a tyre like thick poo around jim, with a stringy poo also attached. Since I've just moved and I'm sure this isn't normal I need to identify what it is and how to treat it ASAP so I can get to a fish shop.

There's a pic too, sorry it's unclear but I don't yet have internet so am posting from my phone. Also will probably have made lots of typos! He's the yellow one next to the plant, not the colourful blur of my newer fish Ace!

Any advice would be great as it's hard work researching on my phone!

I should also say he has no other symptoms - swimming and behaving normally, begging for food etc. his stomachau be a bit fatter tgough it's hard to tell

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Resa

Re: Fish poo...again!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 11:49:55 AM »
Morning Jesnon,

Hope you had a good sleep in your new home!
Sorry....can't help with your poo problem, don't know what that might mean, but one of the other Great Poo Watchers will know, I'm sure ;)
Although, ColinB has disappeared and I'm sure he would have known. I hope all is ok in his living room ??? Perhaps, he's having a motorbike holiday now he can get his helmet on again....and before kittens arrive!!

I hope someone gets back to you on your problem, I shouldn't think Sue or SteveS are too far away....good luck :)

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline jesnon

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 12:00:23 PM »
Thanks resa! I slept like a log from pure exhaustion, unfortunately we have no curtains currently which is a slight issue! Still the view from my flat is nice to wake up to!

In good news I did my water parameters and ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate around 30ppm. I also discovered my ph tapwater after standing for 2 days is still 8.2. Not sure if I have a dodgy ph test or that's just a happy coincidence! Just need to work out the hardness etc now!

Cat's poo tyre has disappeared for now but one of my other fish had mini version. Hmm. If anything I'm guessing it's some kind of parasite :/

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 12:03:34 PM »
The yellow fish doesn't look bad - it looks more like he's been over-eating flake food. Have you been feeding less with the move?

Fish can get constipated. The usual method for dealing with that is to feed cooked peas (one, maybe two peas, that's all for the amount/size of your fish) chopped up small then nothing else that day. Maybe even nothing next day either. But their poo will be green afterwards  ;D

If your cherry shrimps are like my amanos, they'll love peas too.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 12:18:00 PM »
Well that's a relief! I've only fed one flake per day, so 2 flakes in the last 3 days since I didn't feed on the Friday - maybe he's just been greedy and eating it all! since I've fed 1 flake already today would it still be ok to give him (and the others!) a pea tonight too? If so I'll pop to the shop for a bag of peas! :-D

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 12:28:20 PM »
Don't rush out just to buy peas, it will wait until you have time. Unless of course you want an excuse to get out for a while.........

Offline jesnon

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 01:14:05 PM »
Haha any excuse to leave the house and not face unpacking at the minute!

Offline ColinB

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 09:30:42 AM »
Looks like I'm a Great Poo Watcher then ;D ;D ;D Excellent. 'Tis true, I've been in France.

I'm glad the move went well, Jesnon - it's never easy at the best of times. As for the poo..... wait and see. Feed the pea mush, don't feed them the next day and hope it all clears. If it is an internal parasite then I've used this stuff to very good effect. 4 doses, two weeks between doses. Cleared up my platy-poo-problems.

....and just to boast:

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 09:47:01 AM »
Sounds like a nice holiday  ;D

Just a word of caution for anyone using an anti-parasitic - some of them can kill invertebrates (shrimps and snails) so check the instructions before using if you have them in your tank.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 10:55:33 AM »
Ooh I definitely don't want to kill my poor surviving shrimp, theyve been through enough!
I am a little confused by the poo situation still - even after mushy pea feed and 1 day of fasting the fishies still seem to have great long stringy brown poo :s

And wow your holiday looked lovely!

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 11:03:40 AM »
It's not all anti-parasitics that kill inverts. I know some do because wormer plus killed my nerite snails  :(  Years ago I had a dwarf chain loach with skinny disease, and that was the treatment I found recommended on-line. It didn't cure the skinny disease but it did kill my snails. It is quite possible it wouldn't have harmed shrimp, but I didn't have any back then.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 11:07:42 AM »
Ahh that is a shame :-( the other day I was pondering the possibility of snails in my tank (well, intentional ones!).

It looks like they've stopped making the med Colin recommended. Does the poo sound like it could be parasites? I'm clueless with fishy sickness

Offline Resa

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2013, 11:09:59 AM »
I love Colin's little weekend place :D

Welcome back, Colin!

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2013, 11:15:36 AM »
Jesnon - I'm useless with sickness as well. But some of my fish do have long brown poo (particularly my honey gouramis) and I don't treat them for anything. I'm beginning to wonder now as I lost a female the other day - listless, not eating and her rear half was swollen with pineconing scales. Maybe she did have parasites  ???

Offline jesnon

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2013, 11:55:35 AM »
Hmmm. My tiger endlers I have do seem paler than I remember them being, but they all seem perfectly happy. Very confusing!

Offline ColinB

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2013, 01:33:33 PM »
I did quite a bit of reading around parasite infections and it always seemed to be long, thin, white stringy poo that was the tell-tail sign. It definitely was for my platies.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Resa

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2013, 01:45:06 PM »
Mmm....I prefer a Maeve Binchey or a good Dan Brown myself..... ???

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2013, 01:57:13 PM »
I love Colin's little weekend place :D

Welcome back, Colin!
Yeah! Shame somebody parked this crappy bike in front of it though ;D ;D

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -

Offline jesnon

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2013, 02:06:48 PM »
Mmm....I prefer a Maeve Binchey or a good Dan Brown myself..... ???
  ;D

Nothing wrong with a good dose of fish health paranoia!
So if it's not white there's nothing to worry about? that would be nice!

Offline Resa

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2013, 02:14:21 PM »
I've got a really good book on poo! It shows you all the different poo, tracks and pellets you might encounter whilst out in the countryside! From tiny mouse right up to elk and brown bears! The difference between winter and summer poo, (depending on what or who is around to eat)!  :o

I bet there is something similar out there somewhere on fishy poo....perhaps you could all request it in your letters to Santa  ;D

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Fish poo...again!"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post November 11, 2013, 02:52:18 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post November 20, 2013, 10:28:05 AM
by polkadotpuffer
3 Replies
Last post December 09, 2013, 01:06:33 PM
by Sue
8 Replies
Last post February 06, 2014, 08:28:33 PM
by D1976p
4 Replies
Last post May 20, 2019, 04:54:57 PM
by fcmf
8 Replies
Last post December 04, 2019, 05:46:41 PM
by Littlefish
10 Replies
Last post June 29, 2020, 08:27:20 PM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: