Fish Deaths!

Author Topic: Fish deaths!  (Read 4006 times) 6 replies

Offline Loubaa

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Fish deaths!
« on: April 27, 2015, 07:26:22 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Something is going horribly wrong in my tank! Last week I posted about poor Mickey who was bravely struggling on for months and then died. This coincided with the introduction of some new cories in the tank and since then more and more of my fish seem to be dying. First it was two of the new cories. I followed all the rules for introducing them - floating the bag in the water for about an hour then letting the water in bit by bit over the next hour until finally releasing them. Anyway I put this down to bad luck until one of my older cories died suddenly too. This morning I find two others dead, another of the new cories and one of the older ones. I am wondering if the new ones have brought in some bug that is wiping them out. I have tested the water (nitrates, nitrites, ammonia) but there is no evidence of anything amiss there. I have been dosing with melafix too. And cleaning the gravel regularly. Any ideas?

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Re: Fish deaths!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 08:46:30 AM »
Haven't enough experience to offer advice Loubaa, juss wanted to say how sorry I am for the loss of your fish.
Having had all my first 6 fish die in the first few days I know how helpless you feel

Offline Loubaa

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 06:20:49 PM »
It's so frustrating. I got the new cories to keep the others company because I had read they happier when there are at least 4, and I only had three. Big mistake! I feel so guilty. The tank is sitting in a sunny position and I wonder if that is causing a problem because the algae in the back compartment of the tank that faces the window is really bad. Also I have noticed some black mold on the ornaments and plants which doesn't seem very healthy.

Did you get to the bottom of your fish deaths, Sanjo?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 06:24:40 PM »
What other fish are in the tank with them, and are they showing any symptoms?

Usually, deaths that occur very shortly after adding new fish to a tank that has been healthy up to that point are caused by something brought in by the new fish. If it is only cories that are being affected, it could be something specific to cories. I have read elsewhere that protozoan infections are becoming increasingly common in fish farms.

Offline Loubaa

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 06:32:11 PM »
Hi Sue
I have 2 guppies, 2 platies (now that Mickey has died) and 4 White clouds. The others all seem fine. The white clouds are even flirting with each other so they can't be that sick!

It seems very sus that my cories that I've had happily swimming around for a year are all suddenly snuffing it shortly after new cories were introduced to the tank. I have two cories left now and they are inseparable. I am worried that sooner or later they will go the same way.

Any advice would be really welcome.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 06:46:51 PM »
The only thing I can suggest is to quarantine all new fish for at least 2 weeks before adding them to the main tank. Doing that will protect the fish you have now as the new fish would become sick before they got anywhere near your existing fish.

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 07:05:21 PM »
Did you get to the bottom of your fish deaths, Sanjo?
[/quote]

I was "Lucky" Loubaa in a way even though it was still very distressing.
I bought the fish (my very first) in MA and they were Endlers but it turned out that all of them, including the rest in the shop, had some sort of parasite.

I say lucky because at least it eventually got explained and wasn't something I was doing.

It was still horrible though and has made me very protective of my new WCMM, two  salt and pepper corys and Glowlight Danios who get a roll call every morning until I am satisfied they are all present and correct

I do know how you feel. It's the not knowing isn't it.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Fish deaths!"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
9 Replies
Last post May 22, 2014, 04:12:09 PM
by chris213
22 Replies
Last post September 06, 2014, 02:27:44 PM
by Rich_D
5 Replies
Last post May 03, 2015, 02:40:58 PM
by Mad_BMS
11 Replies
Last post March 25, 2016, 03:54:42 PM
by Richard W
7 Replies
Last post March 14, 2018, 07:02:01 AM
by Hampalong
0 Replies
Last post March 14, 2018, 08:44:19 PM
by Matt
3 Replies
Last post October 16, 2018, 09:49:40 PM
by Lynne W

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: