Fin Damage

Author Topic: fin damage  (Read 2407 times) 1 replies

Offline Fishx4

• Fishy Contributor
fin damage
« on: May 20, 2014, 12:22:59 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi,

I've noticed over the last few days my penguin tetras have damaged fins, they're fast moving but as far as I can see of the 6, 1 has a split in its tail and 2 have slightly ragged tails. I can't see any signs of fungus and they are otherwise happy and healthy. My guess is that it's from chasing/ nipping. I changed my filter recently (transferred the media) and have been doing extra water changes to keep on top of any spikes, so I think I might have stressed them out a bit.

Any thoughts on alternative reasons would be appreciated or advice on anything I can do to keep them healthy. I've read about stress coat as an option ?? Is this an option if I already use prime for water changes? 

Thanks in advance!

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: fin damage
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 12:44:48 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Stress coat does claim to 'reduce stress by 40%'. The website goes on to say that aloe vera does it by forming a synthetic slime coat. Prime also 'promotes the production and regeneration of the natural slime coat' so if that's what you have I'd carry on using it. Personally, I use a dechlorinator that does not contain aloe vera as I don't want it in my tanks.

As for the fins, yes that is typical of fish that chase and nip. A lot of shoaling fish use this as a way to set up and maintain a hierarchy within the shoal. It could be that the water changes are stimulating them in some way, and that is causing the behaviour to be more pronounced. For instance, cory breeders often do large water changes with cold water to get their cories to breed - the cold water simulates the melt water coming of the snowy mountains in spring.
Water changes are actually the best way to deal with this. As long as the fins don't show signs of infection, keeping the water clean is the best remedy to stop an infection getting in. Things to look for are white, black or red edges to the fins, or fins that are getting visibly smaller. And because it is only the tail fins, that does suggest nipping. With finrot, I would expect more of the fins to show some signs.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "fin damage "

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
8 Replies
Last post February 19, 2015, 03:33:04 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post November 18, 2016, 09:27:10 AM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: