Fat Fish

Author Topic: Fat Fish  (Read 17206 times) 34 replies

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
Fat Fish
« on: September 21, 2012, 09:11:08 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I'll kick-start this section with a fat Dwarf Chain Loach.

Ashamed to admit Ive not had time lately to sit and watch my fish of an evening like I would normally do, so Im not quite sure when my Loach started to get fat. I noticed about 10 days ago that I suddenly had a rather fat fish. Is "she" full of eggs, or is there something wrong?

(erm...... I tried to insert a couple of photos, but cant figure out how to! Anyone????)

EDIT: Its okay, Ive sussed it! Photos below.........

Thanks.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Fat Fish
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 10:36:32 AM »
I see what you mean, it does look a bit on the large side. But it doesn't look ill from the pic. It reminds me of a certain famous clown loach - google 'clown loach marge'.
I've had a sick dwarf chain loach, that went really thin within a few weeks of buying them and died. I think that was 'skinny disease', which yours obviously doesn't have.

I've just cheated.
I'm a member of a local fish website that has virtually no traffic these days, but I know that a member there was very into loaches and had just about every one available to the trade. I've found a post by him on another forum where the pic of the loach was a lot fatter than yours. He said that female dwarf chain loaches are still very streamlined when full of eggs and have a green to golden hue on the sides of their abdomens. He thought the loach in that post had tumours but recommended treating with sterazin to rule out parasites.
It's worth thinking about the sterazin option, maybe treat separately from the main tank if you decide to  - I know your shrimps are in your other tank, but I still like to be careful about adding something to the main tank.

Edit: the chap I quoted is actually the owner of the local fish forum, and he's chairman of the Loach Association of Great Britain, so I would assume he knows what he's talking about!!!

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 08:28:09 PM »
Thanks Sue. Not what I wanted to hear though!

I will treat her in the QT. I dont agree with subjecting healthy fish to unnecessary treatment and besides, it would take a lot more medication to treat the main tank rather than the 28 litre hospital!

I notice that Sterazin treats internal parasites. Ive just looked in my cupboard at the Esha 2000 that treats "parasitic infections".

Whenever possible, I like to coincide setting up the QT when doing a water change. Im doing this tank tomorrow (Saturday). If the Esha 2000 is suitable, I can put her in the QT tomorrow. It will probably be a few days before I can get my hands on Sterazin. Im pretty sure the two shops near me dont sell Waterlife - I have to go to MA for that. It will be quicker to get some off ebay - it would be here Monday or Tuesday.

Should I try Esha 2000 or wait and get Sterazin?

Thanks  ;)

EDIT:  By the way, I meant to say that yes she is otherwise healthy. Feeding OK, swimming around, etc. The only thing Ive noticed is that she does tend to spend a bit more time sat on the sand under the "cave-thing" than the others do. Shes not under there all the time, just a bit more than the rest. Of course, when she's sat on the sand she's kinda bobbing on her belly! Her fins dont reach the sand so she leans to one side for a while then shuffles a bit, leans the other way.

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 09:15:27 PM »
If you've got the esha I'd be inclined to try it and see what happens. If it does nothing, you can always run carbon/polyfilter then try sterazin. According to esha's website, they don't seem to have a specific antiparasitic like other makes. Unless you count exit for whitespot and velvet but they're external not internal.

Another posibility for medication might be wormer plus. It's sold for discus but can be used for any fish. I used it on my loach with skinny disease, though the loach was probably too far gone and didn't make it. It may have changed since I bought it a few years ago, but it was a powder back then rather than a liquid.

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 08:34:54 AM »
Righto, will get her in the QT later and try the Esha. Will update in the week how things are going.

As always, thanks Sue  ;)

Offline Think Fish (Peter)

• Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 09:37:46 PM »
I've seen quite a few loaches get fat like this with no apparent ill health apart from looking a bit unsightly, will be interesting to see what happens with any treatments
I used to work with Marge's owner, Didn't realise how famous that fish was!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 09:14:41 AM »
Set up the QT yesterday and finally managed to catch Porky! Obviously she wasnt too impressed to begin with, sulking in the corner, but she soon settled down and started to swim around wondering what shes done wrong to be in Solitary Confinement. She's fine this morning and has had a wee bit of breakfast.

Peter - Im intrigued that you've seen "quite a few loaches" like this. Have you seen it with other fish or just loaches? Any species in particular more than others? Tell me more! (please!)

I will certainly keep you posted in how treatments go. I started the Esha 2000 yesterday, so we shall see if theres any improvement during the week. If not, my backup plan is to get the Sterazin that Sue mentioned. If anybody out there has knowledge about this problem, I would be very grateful for their input..... In the meantime, Im off to research it.

Thanks.

EDIT:  Half-hour researching has reminded me why I dont like researching! I end up confused with all the contradicting opinions. All Ive managed to find so far is that "she" could be full of eggs and needs a males attention to lay them - in which case putting her in the QT is the worse thing I could have done. Another explanation is that shes just greedy & fat. I found a couple of videos where people are questioning spawning activity or fighting. Ive often seen two of my sids behaving the same way, ie. going round & round each other in circles, rubbing against each other and losing colour. Because of the colour loss, I thought they were fighting - never occured to me they may be spawning? Anybody know?

I also found photos of gravid female sids (one of which is on the International Loach Association site). Yes they have a green/gold hue to their abdomens but no I wouldnt say they look streamlined.

Have I just put a gravid female into quarantine???? I think it was Natalia that once said never to treat a fish when you dont know for sure whats wrong with it. Those words are ringing in my ears right now  ???

Im not looking to argue or contradict anybody - I just want to do right by my fish  ;)

By the way, Marge was quite a magnificent specimen wasnt she?

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 12:33:19 PM »
Have dwarf chain loaches ever spawned in a tank? I know that comercially they have to be treated with hormones to get them to breed, but it's possible someone may have had some luch in a home tank, but it would be very rare. So the chances of 'curing' a female by having her lay with a male present just seems a bit..... off beam.

Going round and round in circles and losing their colour is a dominance thing not breeding. I've seen it with my loaches.

In your researches, if you ever come across anything by Mark Dufill aka Mad Duff, that's the chap I mentioned before. I would be inclined to believe whatever he says!

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 03:27:07 PM »
Yes they have spawned in home aquariums - though as you say, it is rare. Most of the threads I found were old, no posts for a few years, but I have found a thread from this month where someone has Sidthimunki eggs in their tank and has been replied to from another member who also has eggs. Twice in one month suggests that either its becoming more common in our home tanks or the keepers are mistaken as to who laid the eggs! Im open-minded about it - given that it is rare to witness Otocinclus breeding behaviour in home aquariums, even rarer for them to spawn and almost unheard of for any of the eggs to hatch. Ive had the lot happen in my molly tank! (granted I cheated a bit by popping two plant leaves into a floating fry trap so the eggs couldnt get eaten!)

I guess I should have been a bit clearer regarding a female needing a males attention in order for her to lay the eggs. Sorry! That statement was made regarding "most fish" and was questioning if Dwarf Chain Loaches were the same.

And yes I did wonder if the circular behaviour was a dominance thing. The colour loss suggested fighting rather than breeding! Thanks for clearing that one up.

I will keep an eye out for the chap you mention. Thanks for giving his name(s) - I didnt like to ask in case you werent allowed to say! I shall try to retrace my steps this morning to see if I can find anything from him regarding fat loaches. Will report back with any findings.

Meanwhile, I have just found an interesting article he wrote in 2008. He had 36 sids and was lucky enough to have them spawn. Even luckier to have 6 juveniles survive! So in answer to our question, yes it has happened in a home aquarium!

EDIT: I always remember something after Ive posted! I meant to say that I did find a few photos of fat sids on google this morning. Quite a few of them looked like Porky and none of the owners were worried. I got the impression that its just one of those things with sids - big bodied females can get quite chunky. One guy was getting many replies of "wow thats some chunky monkey" and such comments. Like I said though, they were all old threads so there was no point in signing up to ask questions. Though I will admit to registering with the forum of the thread from this month regarding eggs.

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 07:41:27 AM »
A quick update....

Esha 2000 hasnt done anything. Whilst in the QT, I thought Id feed her only once-a-day. She happily had a bit of breakfast Sunday morning but yesterday (Monday), although she was interested in the food, she didnt actually eat anything. I thought perhaps she just doesnt like the flake on offer so this morning I gave her a bit of frozen food (tropical feast) and she wasnt even interested in it. She just stayed sat on her favourite leaf watching the food float by. I know she loves frozen food.

Should I put her back in the main tank? Is she upset at being on her own and gone off her food?

Plan B was to get some Sterazin if the Esha did nothing but Im worried about keeping her in the QT if she isnt eating.

Thanks.

Offline Think Fish (Peter)

• Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 07:57:38 AM »
The ones i've seen get fat have been mainly in retail tanks, where there is more than ample food, so it was usually just attributed to greedy fish. When you have lots of fish in one tank which are fed several times a day (shop tanks), it is easy for the quicker, greedier specimens to consume more than their fair share!
Years ago I used to work at a shop where we had loads of loach species, and odd individuals used to get quite 'chunky'. It didn't seem to happen with other fish though.
I don't mind admitting that health issues are not my strong point though so it could certainly be a health issue as well.

Tiger Barb (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 10:54:57 PM »
Thanks Peter.

Although she seemed to settle into the QT quite quickly, I really do think she's now stressed out. Ive just moved house so they all had quite an upheaval only 4 weeks ago so maybe finding herself in the QT so soon after moving is too much for her.

I understand it could be a health issue, but of course it may not be - maybe she does just get more than her fair share of food. Either way, keeping her stressed in the QT is asking for more problems than I/she have already got. On that basis, I think I will abandon 'Plan B' (Sterazin), put her back into the main tank tomorrow and keep an eye on her. That sounds a better option than keeping her stressed in the QT not eating.

Any opinions or other ideas? Anybody?

Offline Julia

• Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 06:40:58 AM »
Hi Chucklett :-)

I've developed quite an interest in loaches recently but not got any Sids but do have some black lined, golden zebra and just zebra now.

Tbh if you feel the fish is getting stressed in the qt tank then i would place her back with the others and not do any further treatment unless you know what  for definite what it is you are treating.  As you know, loaches are very social and i feel she would be better off with the group rather than waiting to see if anything further develops with her whilst she is in the qt.

Jmo.....:-)

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 09:54:57 AM »
Hi Julia  :)

Great to see you back  ;) Ive not had time to look around the site and join in with much - just moved house and trying to pass motorbike tests in my spare time! (2 down, 1 to go), so apologies for not saying hello to you before now!

Thanks for your post. I hate not being sure what to do for the best. I still consider myself to be a newbie at fishkeeping so dont have the confidence to make executive decisions! Give me a bird and Im on the case no problem LOL!

Anyway, I checked back here before your post and so had to make an executive decision  :o  I put Porky back in the main tank yesterday afternoon and the others greeted her with delight. She's been happily swimming around with them ever since (though still takes some time-out under the cave-bit-thing) and was straight in there for tea last night (and breakfast this morning), with everybody else as usual. I was satisfied that I'd made the right decision - even more so this morning after reading your reply  ;)

All I can do now is keep an eye on her and research more (ugh.... if I can pluck up the courage to!)

Im beginning to find a bit more "me-time" so hopefully catch up with you, and the site, a bit more - especially after Ive passed my final bike test!

Thanks again  ;)

Offline Julia

• Fishy Member
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2012, 05:33:29 PM »
Hello and it's nice to be back...hadn't appreciated how much I had missed this forum until it disappeared!!  ;D

I think, as fishkeepers, we can all be guilty of being a little over zealous sometimes  with worrying about ur fish and always think the potential worst possible scenario.  Glad you moved Pork back and that you saw a pretty instant result

There is another forum where you may get more of a definitive answer possibly and it's very specific to your particular species.....
 ;)

Offline Don

• Fishy Member
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2012, 09:50:05 PM »
It could possibly be to do with hierachy developed in botia loaches. I kept a group of botia striata, sorry for latin but theres to many common names, the domonant female of the group became a lump shed always eat first and what she wanyed while the others waited. Once finished the others would dive in. She ruled the group so might be worth when you get a chance have a look and see if shes the boss like clown loach marge as well.

Golden Pencilfish (25) - Panda Cory (20) - Panda Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Lampeye Panchax (15) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Discus (7) - Sparkling Gourami (8) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Bristlenose Plec (3) -

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2012, 11:09:10 AM »
Thanks for your thoughts Don. I watched her for a while when I put her back into the main tank and couldnt notice anything different about her other than her size!

Ive recently tried to see if she's looking any bigger than before, but its difficult to tell since I see her every day!

A typical day for her is to swim around with the others, but likes to take time-out under the logs (that Ive placed to make caves). Occasionally another fish, not necessarily a loach, will come and poke her. She'll shuffle a few inches then settle again. When she's had enough "me-time", she's off swimming with the others again. Feeding time, she's straight in with everyone else. Ive tried to see if she eats more than the others, but she doesnt seem to be any greedier than the next fish.

I will make a point of watching her for a while again to see if anythings changed. To be honest, Ive been more pre-occupied with my other tank for the last couple of weeks. The water here is a nightmare (starts clear and turns brown when running the tap  ??? with a pH of 8+). Even though I leave the water stand to let the pH drop, Ive twice lost two mollies on a Monday after water-change at the weekend.......
So this weekend, I drew the water from the tap one bucket at a time (leaving 1/2 hour between buckets so as to avoid the brown water), left the water stand 36 hours, then added it to the tank one bucket at a time (1/2 hour between buckets). Now sitting with all-things-crossed......

Offline Don

• Fishy Member
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2012, 02:25:57 PM »
Fingers crossed, sounds like what my alpha female did, she was huge will see if i can dig out a pic. Thats not good i cant imagine what went through your mind when you saw that the first time and tested it. That sounds like its making maintenance a nightmare. Sorry to here you lost fish too. Keep me updated on how it goes.

Golden Pencilfish (25) - Panda Cory (20) - Panda Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Lampeye Panchax (15) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Discus (7) - Sparkling Gourami (8) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Bristlenose Plec (3) -

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2012, 08:44:28 PM »
I fell off my perch when I first tested the tap water here! The test tube went straight to deep purple with the first drop of solution  :o We thought the water might get better over time as the property had been empty a few months before we moved in. Although the pH is now coming out at around 8.2, we still dont understand why the water should get browner the more the tap is running. Ive never heard of it that way round! We're going to get onto the water company this week to question it.

Yes it makes tank maintenance a mission, but I refuse to let it take the pleasure out of fishkeeping! I will always do my best by my fish and if that means having a hefty regime to stick to, then thats how it is I guess! Hopefully, its only a temporary measure and we manage to get the water sorted out in due course eh?

Thanks Don, I will indeed keep you posted and yes I would be interested to see a picture of your alpha if you manage to dig one out  ;)

Offline Sue

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2012, 08:54:38 PM »
If your water is that bad from the mains, I would definitely contact the water company. It doesn't sound good at all, not for the fish or for you drinking it.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Fat Fish"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post November 11, 2013, 02:52:18 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post November 20, 2013, 10:28:05 AM
by polkadotpuffer
5 Replies
Last post November 30, 2013, 03:52:08 PM
by Stefan
7 Replies
Last post May 23, 2017, 05:32:59 AM
by Matt
4 Replies
Last post July 16, 2017, 07:57:16 PM
by TrenchyLs
7 Replies
Last post April 17, 2018, 11:09:07 PM
by TopCookie
14 Replies
Last post November 07, 2019, 08:11:52 PM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: