Endler On His Way Out? :-(

Author Topic: Endler on his way out? :-(  (Read 8465 times) 14 replies

Offline jesnon

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Endler on his way out? :-(
« on: April 23, 2013, 04:07:35 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Right... so my peacock endler Madge (despite being male) hasn't been quite right the last couple of weeks. It seemed to start from when I changed the heater over - before this, he always used to nibble on the heater happily and would be found there most days.

Then when the heater was a shiny new one with nothing to nibble on, he was always found swimming on his lonesome. He seems quite slow compared to the other fish, though I assumed this was just his 'personality', and he was never or rarely ever part of the 'group'. However the last couple of days he seems to be increasingly slow and plodding, and some times I struggled to even find him in the tank. When I got home from work today after a panic and assuming the worst I found him in the corner of the tank and he wasn't moving. I tapped the glass to confirm but he swam off slightly, but he just seems to be 'resting' on the gravel, and at one point was completely vertical on it. His eyes seem to be black all over. I'm fearing the worst, as this was similar behaviour to my first fishy death.

All other fish are happy and well and water is fine (in fact I changed some of the water yesterday as I was worried about some leftover brine shrimp).

I don't know what to do at this point or why he's such a sorrowful looking fishy :-(

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline jesnon

Re: Endler on his way out? :-(
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 04:14:45 PM »
I actually meant to put this in emergency room but I guess it's OK here too?

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline ColinB

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 04:31:37 PM »
I'm afraid that non of my guppies who looked like this ever survived.... you may have to do the decent thing.

I had to do that this morning with Biscuit the Platy. He'd been fin-clamped for a couple of days, shimmying on the spot in front of the pump outlet and not eating. It's a final act of kindness..... but it's still poo.  :'(

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline jesnon

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 04:46:54 PM »
So sorry to hear about your platy Colin :-( It's awful when they're so poorly isn't it?

I'm so confused by it - I don't think I've done anything wrong and he seemed fine even a few days ago. I've also noticed his colouration may have become more black too which is odd. He's now underneath the heater where the filter outlet is (I moved it yesterday... surely this couldn't have done anything?), switching between completely still to swimming around looking OKish. Unfortunately I'm not sure I'm prepared to 'do the decent thing' in terms of the appropriate items :-( It's not looking good :'(

Offline ColinB

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 06:16:06 PM »
You haven't done anything wrong at all, but I know how you feel. It's what I thought when a number of my guppies died within a few weeks of getting them, even though I carefully and patiently cycled the tank just like you.

I suppose it's the stress of being shipped into this country, shipped to the distributor, shipped to the shop, put in a bare tank, caught and put in a bag, put into a new tank. It must take its toll on the poor things and some of them really don't get over it.

Whatever you do.... don't beat yourself up over it..... and don't go and get a replacement yet, wait a few weeks to see if it's a tank problem, or just an individual fish problem.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline jesnon

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 06:32:48 PM »
Thank you Colin. After finding Sue's post about euthanising fish I've started setting up the process. I don't think there's any way he'll recover from this so it seems cruel to leave him to suffer :-( Poor fishy

Offline Resa

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 06:46:01 PM »
Oh Jesnon,

I'm so sorry to read about Madge, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a miraculous recovery, but it doesn't sound hopeful, does it?
Good luck with whatever you have to do.....

Resa
  :(

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline Resa

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 06:47:56 PM »
Hi Colin,

I am sorry to see also, that you have had to do the awful deed today for Biscuit....what a sad day...

Resa

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline jesnon

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 06:52:39 PM »
Thank you Resa - a sad day all round :-( Unfortunately I was having a really good day until discovering poor Madge.

In a desperate googling frenzy it could be swim bladder, which people seem to be saying is easy to treat...

Madge seems to have an inability to control his height, hence the nose diving. For a while he also had a long string of poo hanging out of him, it looks like it's fallen off now though. He seems much livelier / active at the minute (though still same or similar symptoms) and is frantically swimming in circles with his nose on the floor but rest of his body floating up. I want to make sure that this isn't something I can fix... online people have said it's really curable by feeding peas??

I'm reluctant to do the deed, as if I found out I'd killed my fish unnecessarily I'd be really upset. Equally though I don't want to leave him to suffer if he's terminal.

Any opinions ASAP would be great

Offline Resa

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 07:03:46 PM »
Oh, I'm afraid I have no idea what you should do, although I completely agree with you that if there is something that can be done for him, it's worth a try.
When my guppy was poorly, his eyes went completely black too.  Sadly, he didn't make it, but that's not to say that Madge will go the same way.

Keeping my fingers firmly crossed for you....

Resa

Offline jesnon

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 08:41:42 PM »
Thanks anyway Resa. Unfortunately we decided his time had come and put him to sleep earlier :'(

Offline jesnon

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2013, 10:01:08 PM »
I think I'll be sticking to 7 endlers... 8 seems to be an unlucky number :-(

The one thing I would like to clarify is what this 'was'... All the other signs point towards something like the swim bladder. But, Madge had definitely got more black in his belly colours, and the all black eyes. I'm really hoping it was a one off. Poor Madge :-(

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 01:37:30 PM »
Swim bladder disease is one of those illnesses that can have several causes. The symptoms we see are caused by the swim bladder not working as it should, but that can be due to anything from bacterial infection/viral infection to constipation compressing the swim bladder. When it's caused by infection, that has to be cured to save the fish - viral infections can't be cured, and bacterial ones really need antibiotics which we can only get on prescription in the UK.
From the other symptoms, it sounds as though your endler had an infection; he probably already had it when you bought him and it's taken a few weeks to become critical. Sometimes, there is nothing we can do to save a fish, and the only option left to us is to end its suffering.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2013, 02:07:04 PM »
Thank you for your post Sue. I'm hoping as you say it is just something that Madge had already and took a while to develop. Is there any risk that the other fish could get it? All my other fish look happy and well, and have always been much more active than Madge was, including the two fish that came from the same shop. In fact, I recall the shop in question had lots of blacker coloured Endlers, which at the time I thought were really pretty. Could the black colouration be anything to do with it or is it a strange coincidence that Madge's colours changed at the same time he became more ill?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2013, 03:57:17 PM »
It's hard to say if the colouring of the other fish in the shop has anything to do with whatever it was that killed Madge. As you've already seen endlers come in a lot of different colours so they could have been naturally that colour.

As for the remaining endlers getting the same infection as Madge, it is possible. But the most efficient way for an infection to pass from fish to fish is by healthy fish eating the body of an infected one. Since you removed Madge before she died this did not happen, significantly lowering the risk to your other fish.
But still watch them.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Endler on his way out? :-( "

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post January 14, 2013, 07:10:55 PM
by selhurst sound
5 Replies
Last post August 16, 2013, 12:36:27 PM
by DutchyHolland
58 Replies
Last post November 10, 2013, 04:31:09 PM
by jesnon
7 Replies
Last post December 05, 2014, 12:54:30 PM
by Sue
23 Replies
Last post April 18, 2016, 07:01:13 PM
by Littlefish
1 Replies
Last post June 04, 2016, 09:19:49 PM
by Sue
11 Replies
Last post May 02, 2021, 05:35:33 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: