Author Topic: Elderly fish  (Read 12657 times) 93 replies

Offline LeakysLab

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Simon
Re: Elderly fish
« Reply #80 on: April 29, 2020, 06:52:20 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I’m no expert on vibrations but perhaps the tv or music provides different sounds/vibrations that are pleasing rather than sudden harsh ones. It seems that they need that social interaction so I’d like to know if you do decide to change the tank around to the smaller sides.

I appreciate you putting delicate detail into your explanation regarding this subject. Our relationship with our pets can be very powerful and just as important than humans.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Pygmy Cory (6) - Sparkling Gourami (1) - Ember Tetra (10) - Marbled Hatchetfish (6) - Cardinal Tetra (12) - Sterbas Cory (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #81 on: May 08, 2020, 02:25:30 PM »
Update on Bendy Harley:
Still the same. 
I moved a few strands of loose limnophila sessiliflora into his tank to make it a bit more homely / provide some more cover as the plants I had moved in there had died - not unsurprising as they only have natural light rather than a tank light.  These strands of plant immediately resulted in a repeat of what happened in the main tank a couple of months ago just before I moved him out - he basically nestled in among it at the water surface, breathing faster than usual, but looking as though he had "given up" and would die shortly.  I don't know whether he swims into it, and hasn't the strength/will to dislodge himself (my view) or whether he swims into it for a rest (Mr FCMF's view although he has comparatively sparse knowledge of the tank inhabitants). I feel that, if I leave it in there, he'd die as he'd be taking air in as well as water which would ultimately kill him, and so have removed it. 

Offline fcmf

« Reply #82 on: May 11, 2020, 01:43:20 PM »
Further update on Bendy Harley:
I've been putting the plant in the tank during the daytime when I can keep an eye on him and he's learned to live alongside it - but keep the plant in a jug with tankwater overnight when I can't keep an eye on him to ensure that he doesn't get tangled up in it.
Separately, yesterday, I noticed his tail was looking 'heavier'/paralysed and that he's now more nose-up and his swimbladder seemed to have started to deteriorate.  He's also started some episodes of gentle spiralling.  I think he's moved into the next stage of deterioration now, and may not make it to his 5th birthday in a fortnight's time.   :(  In the space of 5 minutes, there were 3 episodes of gentle spiralling - the first two were difficult to watch but I managed to hold the video camera still to take the third episode: https:///youtu.be/CXYLbbpIKdY

Update 5 mins later:
He's completely upside down on the bottom now, gasping.  It looks as though he's now at the point of no-return.  Mercifully, this has been swift. Frustratingly, though, Furloughed Mr FCMF is having to make a conference call into work, so I can't be in the room - just keeping my fingers crossed that Bendy Harley doesn't slip away to the sound of loud voices rather than the respectful/calm send-off he deserves with me beside him metaphorically holding his fin! [Edited to add: I was beside myself being unable to be beside the tank, so entered the room under the pretext of bringing in a cup of tea; thankfully, Bendy Harley was more upright, so I gave him an encouraging nod (hopefully out of sight of the VC!) and which he acknowledged. At least the bellowing of the VC has reduced so, whatever has since happened, at least it's a more peaceful environment.]

Update 45 mins later:
Mr FCMF came out of the room, to retrieve a cable, and I had no option but to sneak in as discreetly as I could past the VC to check up on B.H. He was upside down on the bottom but intermittently breathing. I couldn't have him lying there with discussions about furlough/£/gov/redundancies in his final moments, so scooped him out in a jugful of water, tucked the E box under my arm, came through to the other room to have him in peace and quiet, and realised I had no option but to Do The Deed as he was upside down and only able to rectify himself intermittently for a few seconds.
I decided to do this in two parts. Again, I'm not convinced about this Aqua-Sed and think in future I'll stick with clove oil only. Suddenly he managed to rectify his position as though attempting to escape out nose first, and swam semi-upright for 15 secs in the A-S solution (rather than the ~3 sec short-and-swift clove oil experience). Although he seemed to be 'gone' after this, I carefully prepared the clove oil, and put it in too as a back-up. There seemed to be a momentary resurrection as he did a couple of circuits of the container, then fell again to the bottom like a stone. The container is now wrapped in a dark towel.
I'm worn out, in part as this relatively sudden demise after 2 months' stability was a bit of a shock, in part because of the E procedure (but felt there was no option), and generally as it feels like the culmination of many months running a palliative care home for elderly fish!

This now leaves me with the main tank containing what I hope is a relatively healthy community (touchwood!) containing one elderly harlequin, one neon green rasbora, five cardinals, two nerites, and some plants that may or may not survive depending on how soon the new LED light takes to arrive.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #83 on: May 11, 2020, 06:40:19 PM »
Oh @fcmf  I'm so sorry to hear about Bendy Harley.  :'(
You looked after him very well throughout his life, and I'm glad that the end was peaceful.

Offline Sue

« Reply #84 on: May 11, 2020, 07:29:00 PM »
It's always sad when this happens. Thinking of you.

Offline LeakysLab

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Simon
« Reply #85 on: May 11, 2020, 07:38:12 PM »
I’m saddened to read the updates, you have provided the upmost love and care anyone would give their pets. Bendy harlie is in a better place now.

Edit: input missed word.

Pygmy Cory (6) - Sparkling Gourami (1) - Ember Tetra (10) - Marbled Hatchetfish (6) - Cardinal Tetra (12) - Sterbas Cory (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fcmf

« Reply #86 on: May 11, 2020, 08:44:38 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, folks.  I hadn't quite realised just how fond I had become of him over the past couple of months in particular - it felt a bit strange eating dinner and not having him watch every moment from less than 12" away and interacting with me.  :'(

Offline fcmf

« Reply #87 on: May 25, 2020, 08:26:36 AM »
Phew!  Wee Harley has made it to her 5th birthday today (ie since the day I bought her and her shoal), alive and well.   :cheers:

Offline LeakysLab

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Simon
« Reply #88 on: May 25, 2020, 09:25:18 AM »
Happy Birthday Wee Harley  :cheers:

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #89 on: May 25, 2020, 10:33:25 AM »
Congratulations to you and Wee Harley  :cheers:

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #90 on: May 25, 2020, 10:35:03 AM »
Happy birthday Wee Harley.  :cheers:

Offline fcmf

« Reply #91 on: May 25, 2020, 01:54:01 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 2
Thanks, all.
 :fishy1: :fishy1: :fishy1:

Edited to add: Photo taken a few days later. Unfortunately new lighting doesn't do her the justice the previous lighting did.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #92 on: June 14, 2020, 05:10:27 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
At the risk of jinxing the situation, Wee Harley is livening up, the older she gets.  She's been really active lately, her appetite seems to have increased, and she has started foraging in the substrate for leftovers.  Glad she's channelling her energy in this direction rather than terrorising the cardinals as she'd been doing for a brief while.
 :fishy1: :fishy1: :fishy1:

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #93 on: June 14, 2020, 05:43:57 PM »
Good news  :cheers:

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Elderly fish"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
8 Replies
Last post January 10, 2014, 10:45:54 PM
by SteveS
0 Replies
Last post February 25, 2014, 11:01:05 AM
by Robert
7 Replies
Last post May 08, 2015, 08:33:20 PM
by Robert
14 Replies
Last post September 16, 2015, 01:07:32 PM
by Extreme_One
0 Replies
Last post January 14, 2016, 09:27:06 PM
by fcmf
4 Replies
Last post April 21, 2016, 02:07:38 PM
by Fiona
4 Replies
Last post June 27, 2019, 01:16:48 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: